Author Topic: FH2 freezes computer  (Read 3400 times)

Offline dintoo

• View Profile
FH2 freezes computer
« on: 17-03-2013, 11:03:25 »
Hi all,
it has been a long time since I've played FH2, but yesterday I thought I'd give it a spin again. Well, after some trouble with punkbuster etc. I managed to get it working, but now I have a rather frustrating problem. Forgotten Hope freezes my PC consistently after approx. 10 minutes of gameplay. Task manager doesn't work, basically nothing works and I have to restart my pc. Does anybody have an idea what the matter is?

Edit: I forgot to mention. I'm using Windows 7 64bit and I'm using most every fix I've found. Problem is that in my case my entire PC freezes, it's not just a game crash, which is usually the case it seems.
« Last Edit: 17-03-2013, 12:03:31 by dintoo »

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
Re: FH2 freezes computer
« Reply #1 on: 17-03-2013, 14:03:56 »
First of all, welcome to the forums  ;) . I find it highly unlikely that FH2 causes this issue. Is there any other programme that you run simultaneously with FH2? If so, I would rather suspect that one to be the root of your problem.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17-03-2013, 14:03:20 »
Running FH2 can indeed cause freezing your PC and other problems. I have a problem with the St. Mere Eglise map for example. In alot of cases I get a blue screen, when I press Esc and want to quit the game.

Though your problem seems a bit more severe. Try updating your drivers and everyting and try a fresh install of BF2 + patch v.1.41, v.1.5 and install FH 2.45 again.

Offline Khaine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17-03-2013, 15:03:46 »
Most likely your GPU is overheating, you should check the temperature (use speedfan).

Offline dintoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17-03-2013, 15:03:55 »
@ksl94
Thanks for the welcome :) I didn't have any other applications open, so I don't think that's the issue. I even disabled Java Update from running when the PC booted, because it gave me a pop-up while ingame (why I didn't do this before, I don't know).
@5hitm4k3r
Good idea, now that I think about FH2 used to run without much trouble when I still had my old graphics card. If all else fails I'll re-install the whole thing (I have the steam version of BF2, I knew that complicated getting FH2 to work but I don't think it should influence the game like this).
@Khaine
Though I think my AMD HD6870 should be able to handle FH2, I'll try that as well.

So my plan now is:
-Install latest drivers
-check GPU temperature
if those fail to fix it
-Re-install BF2 and FH2

Thanks a bunch for the quick replies everyone!

Offline shahram

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-03-2013, 18:03:08 »
unfortunately I experience it too. screen is frozen and freeze moment audio is repeated until I push reset button on my case but it is random for me, I mean it doesn't happen in specific map or specific time. yesterday I play in 4 maps ( oh my god, there was a map like last scene of saving private Ryan, It was fantastic ) and in last map it happend.

My pc specifications:
-M/B ASUS M4A78
-CPU AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 2.8GHz
-RAM Patriot 1x 2 GB DDR2 800MHz
-VGA Zotac GF 9800GT Synergy Edition ( low clock version ) 1 GB DDR3 256-bit

of course I think this kind of freeze is related to hardware problems.
Maybe RAM Problems or VGA/CPU overheated and etc.

If someone have fix for that I will appreciate.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-04-2013, 10:04:58 »
Can u turn off V-Sync in Nvidia Videocard tool.
Download a videocard monitoring tool, run it while playing FH2, check the temperatures with it.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline shahram

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-04-2013, 19:04:07 »
I appreciate your response.
I did it and there is no any different and I experience 2 or 3 time system freezing again since your suggestion.
I bought a fan and install in my system so I guess it is not reason or maybe it is, I dont know.  ;D
I can't buy new hardware so I must go along at it.  :)

Offline Strat_84

• FH-Betatester
  • Lemming Chieftain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-04-2013, 20:04:50 »
The first thing to check with computer freezes is the memory, that's the most common cause (especially with memory hungry programs like BF2).

You can do this with memtest ( http://www.memtest.org/ ). Run it for 12 hours at least. ;)

Offline shahram

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14-04-2013, 14:04:53 »
I have read many subjects about this kind of problems in games and I understand if someone who have nvidia VGA turn off those options in nvidia control panel, it'll be better:
  • multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration
  • threaded optimization
first choice is about having more than one monitor so no need to more description.
about Threaded optimization; it is related to OpenGL and I don't know BF2 or FH2 have been coded with it or no?!!
I tried these and I think it decreases graphic despite I set all options to high except AA ( 0 ) or maybe I think so and I didn't focus on textures before doing it and I am wrong.  ;D
now I want to know does threaded optimization decreases graphic ( specially textures ) in game or no?
please you all try these and share your results and experience.

Offline Fair_Player[PL]

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04-05-2013, 17:05:04 »
REASON FOUND, NOT SOLUTION
Hi Guys
I have the same problem BUT I DONT KNOW REASON of this. I have tested this, after my PC having been frozen about 25 times a day :/
The symptomes of freezes are:
- Complete Freeze of your screen , allowing only hard reboot.
- Loop Sound crash , sounding like a bluescreen of death.
- 100% CPU usage

I have read a lot of forums and threads connected with these problems. Many ppl advice to:
- Reinstal sound driver and grafic card driver
- switch off Vsynch in nVidia control panel
- use memtest program for testing your RAM (i have tested 12 hours and 0 errors)
- update PB manualy or reinstal PBsvc
- move PBa.exe and B.exe from c:/windows/sysWOW64 to c:/windows/system32
- check CPU and GPU temperatures during playing (i have cleaned up my comp and replace thermal paste under CPU and GPU and chipset because i had high temperature about 75 deg. after replacing i have 55 because i used very high quality paset of noctua). EFECT? Computer still crashes
- run fh and PB in compatibility mode with winxp and with administrator rights.
- adjust pagefile
- complety reinstal FH cleaned up registry
- use fh console command "game.lockfps 20" to decrease FPS in game (low CPU usage and low temperatures)
- and many many many many many more solutions.......:/

Those all and many many more solutions didn't help, Why? Becouse it is not a problem with other software installed in our computers. Program whitch is causing freezes IS PUNK BUSTER!!!!
Why? Try to play on single player or on LAN (there PB is not activated). I can play whole day on single player mode or in LAN without freezes. But short (about 10min) before connecting on PB sevres I gets freezes.
If you still dont believe me go to control panel->administration utilities->preview of events->daily of windows system-> here you can choose beetwen 4 dailies. Just cleaned all dailys and started to play FH. After computer crash check in what time did it happen, I have waited about 10 minutes and ran comupter, went to those dailys and preveived system daily. Looked at events and times of these events. You will find that the last event before Computer crash is something like this....."PB service B stoped" and several seconds later last event "PB service B started". The rest of events are dated 10 minutes later come from the restart of PC

I tried probably everything that we could find in Google and I used all my knowledge about Windows. I cant find solutions for this. If you will try to switch off PB service in windows you will get a kick from the server "PB svc B hadschacking" or something like this.

Now the only solution for this is not to play on Punkbuster protected servers.

Regards and please help
« Last Edit: 17-08-2013, 09:08:59 by Fair_Player[PL] »

Offline Knallkopp_02

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05-05-2013, 09:05:25 »
Hi Fair_Player,

i see you playing at the moment on our #1. This server is with PB and #4 not. Is this right, that you can play without problems on #4.

BTW, i know these are maybe a stupid questions, but

is PB allowed in your firewall.
Do you have got a NV grafic card? What drivers are you using?
Is physics enabled if you have got an NV card?
Is EAX enabled ingame in the soundoptions from FH?

Regards

Offline Fair_Player[PL]

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17-08-2013, 09:08:20 »
Finaly I have found solution (for me, maybe it helps you too) for FH2/bf2 desktop crash or sound loop or BSOD, caused by SH|TY Punkbuster. PB is to old and evenbalance has stoped making updates for PB for BF2. Admins should find another way to prevent servers. PB is making more troubles than this all is worth.
What I done.
- Go to directory where bf2 is instaled
X:\...\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2
find pb folder and delate it
- Downlaod PB setup v3.5, and run them as administrator, click "Add a Game", choose bf2, then check for updates
- Downlaod PB SVC, and run them as administrator. Next folow the instalation prosces.
- Downlaod this:
http://www.filedropper.com/pb  ->if link doesn't work let me know, I will reupload
Unpack this, and paste into X:\...\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 folder

- Go to "Control Panel"->"System"->"Advanced system settings"->"ADVANCED" TAB click buton "settings" in preformance section->"Data Execution Prevention tab"->select "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select"
HERE add PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB

- Go to:
   C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (if You have 64bit system)
   C:\Windows\system32
   C:\Users\...name of user...\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\BF2\pb
In those paths find PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB files, right click on them, open properities, compatibility, and mark "run as administrator"
Again in:
C:\Users\...name of user...\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\BF2\pb
Open "pbsys" file in notepad and type there something like that:
   pb_system 0
   pb_security 0
   pb_sleep 500

- Go to "Control Panel"->"Administrative Tools" -> "Services"
Find PnkBstrA, clikc RMB on it, "chose properities", next "logging tab", click "let to interract with desktop"
After joining to server u have to go again to services:
Find PnkBstrB, clikc RMB on it, "chose properities", next "logging tab", click "let to interract with desktop"

OR Open notepad and type into this without quotes.
"
:start

sc config PnkBstrA type= own type= interact

sc config PnkBstrB type= own type= interact

timeout 60

goto start
"
Save as punkbuster.bat - run this file before playing online. This bat will automaticly set interract function into pbA and pbB services.

- And now the most important things:
-- TURN OF WINDOWS FIREWALL before running the game
-- Disaable windows defender before running the game
-- Exclude pbA and pbB from scaning of your antyvirus program

- Run game in single palyer, open console and type "pb_system 0", disconnect from single player (You cant change pb_system 1or0 if pb is online)
- Run game in multiplayer join to server with pb on, open console and type "pb_system 0", "pb_security 0", "pb_sleep 500", pb_writecfg

Those things above are 100% save, you will not get kick or ban for that. I made much worse thing with pb services and files but it caused kicks of server so I didn't wirte it here.
If this will not help you try to make everything again but change value in pb_commands (security, system) from 0 to 1.

I hope it will help you too, FH2 is realy good game/mod and dont let punkbuster to f.ck it up