Author Topic: SUGGESTIONS FOR THE AI DEV(S)  (Read 44761 times)

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR THE AI DEV(S)
« Reply #60 on: 24-03-2015, 12:03:32 »
AFAIK, bots don't shoot at anything not manned by an enemy soldier.

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #61 on: 25-03-2015, 23:03:39 »
Could the "position" be manned by an AI soldier ?

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 25-03-2015, 23:03:12 »
With some Python scripting, you can find the position where the smoke grenade landed and spawn an invisible "vehicle" there (actually, 2 invisible vehicles for each of the teams), even probably put a spare bot into those vehicles, but considering the very limited classification of targets for AI, it will be very hard to make all the bots to concentrate only on those invisible vehicles.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #63 on: 08-04-2015, 22:04:50 »
A'ha. So what if the invisible vehicle was about the size and shape of a smoke cloud ? Could it be passthrough for everything but bot vision (target raycasting) ?

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 27-04-2015, 22:04:57 »
So... what SP/Coop tweaks we can expect in the next patch?

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 29-04-2015, 00:04:32 »
Usual boring things: few general fixes, few general optimizations, overhauled this, overhauled that, several reworked or updated maps :)
A traditional change log will be published shortly before the release.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 03-05-2015, 16:05:18 »
It would be nice, if the bots could actually use the vehicles parked in barns and under shelter. This is a bit of a problem in certain late war maps (Operation Goodwood, Vossenack...). Thanks
« Last Edit: 17-07-2015, 21:07:34 by nysä »

Offline Knochenlutscher

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 08-06-2015, 10:06:00 »
I made an alternate Vossenack, where some Vehicles are almost never unused, even if under Shelter.
I can't recall the changes I made, but as soon as I return to default setup, they act as non-interesting to bots and that surplus to 70% of the inventory.
I was simply cloning some of the spawnboxes, on others I gave them new Boxes, the mix of
both made it. My version has no unused Vehicle, though it is a Tank frenzy. Main problem on Vossenack for Bots in Vehicles, is everything East of Church area, the objects are good enough for Human to drive trhough with a Vehicle, but for Bots this area is a messy adventure, they stuck at literally every object placed a bit on the streets. Ever wondered why the rush-out on Vossenack Axis Main is stuck before the wooden fence, it is one of this Wooden fence objects possibly seen as unpassable. When trying to drive trough you actually sense some object you pass, not like the other passable fence objects.
In notepad I've seen that this fenceobject is littered all across the Map and the reason for some areas not passable for Bots, although Navmeshed, as they want to pass.
I tried 2 version removing them completely, or changing with passable fences. Returning to stock layout I can't pass one of this section though, my tank just slides upwards on that fence. It is the vertical object of that fence part that remains unpassable/solid and causing laggs.
By removing that fence object, the Map has a 50% rush, that you can enjoy playing. The consolidated Vehicles spawns are surplus additions to the default very slow going Map.

They get trapped before entering neat points, Axis at entrance, where the Anti-Tank barrier resides, you can free this area from litter, 3 up to 5 vehicles still stuck, sth. initially slowing down the push of the Map, so I think it is some sort of neat point of Vehicle Navmesh causing culprit. To really get hell-of a tanking Map, it needs to get rid of such tiny hangers, more Bot-friendly Navmesh, but that calls for less litter in Church area and really closer look at all objects and make them passable, luckily this Map didn't need much overhaul, just a bit consolidation.
Apart from that it is a careless Map, I can only recall one major thing that needed overhaul, the 88 on that hill trench.
needs some lifting, as the bushes/vegetation cover the gunsight aiming, I put her on an
palette object slightly lifted, now the gunsight is free and good to use.
"Klaatu... verata... n... Necktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle."

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 09-06-2015, 16:06:34 »
Don't worry, in the next FH2 release you will see a reworked version of singleplayer on Vossenack, with all the issues mentioned above mostly fixed.

Offline Knochenlutscher

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 14-06-2015, 02:06:41 »
Awsome, really happy this Map get's the help.
Thanks for the Info Gavrant
"Klaatu... verata... n... Necktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle."

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 14-06-2015, 18:06:41 »
Thanks gavrant!

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 09-02-2016, 12:02:48 »
Short gameplay test @ Vossenack: great AI improvements, a less lemming-like and focused on surprising and chasing down the enemy.

Major improvement regarding the AI-manned vehicles as well, but there is still a slight problem: both, American and German tanks (esp. between Kreuzreck-Unterdorf) are getting stuck on the curves; especially if there is a stone wall on the side.

BIG thanks to all the developers/testers for all the hard work, and also listening to our feedback and complaining   :)
« Last Edit: 09-02-2016, 12:02:21 by nysä »

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #72 on: 12-02-2016, 18:02:35 »
Thanks as well from me  ;D.

One thing that could be added in some guide somewhere or in the launcher is a description of the broken (or just badly setup by DICE) sliders for SP/Coop. This must really confuse new players who don't have the "inside" information. I have not got an installation to check here but I think it's fixed in other mods like Project Reality.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #73 on: 27-02-2016, 19:02:07 »
Re. my previous post. It looks like these sliders have been seriously broken in a number of mods (possibly bar Project Reality) and the result I've seen blamed on EA/DICE  ::) ! I just played Euro Forces after installing BF2 to see if it would work on my Asus Transformer (it does with bots <=8 ) and the sliders actually make sense ! Bot slider goes from 1 to 48. Setting the ratio slider actually does set the bot balance as intended, rather than having to have it at 100 which is ridiculous; slider @ 50% gives 24 bots each side with 48 bots. These sliders work fine in Euro Forces, I suggest they are fixed in FH.

EDIT: I looked at this again and it could be that the slider actually works up to a certain number of bots (probably 16/32/48) and then becomes inaccurate/breaks above that.
« Last Edit: 14-03-2016, 18:03:06 by DJ Barney »

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 10-11-2018, 19:11:58 »
I have two suggestions:

How about making commander artillery load faster in singleplayer? In some maps, some flags which are heavily armed with machine guns, AT and AA are defended so well by the bots it is often impossible for the other team's bots to capture the flag. I often use the commander position's artillery to weaken these kinds of capture points, but it would add much more fun and ease if the artillery loaded faster.

The other suggestion is to make bots remain in transport vehicles like trucks or APC's. The bots do not get in the vehicle sometimes when I call them to. They will often only man the machine guns in APC's and will not get in when it comes to trucks.
Also when I manage to fill the truck/APC and drive, the bots will often quickly desert the vehicle even in the simplest rifle fire from far away enemies, spoiling my plans that initially got me to gather them in a transport vehicle.

I think these improvements would make singleplayer a lot more enjoyable.