Author Topic: Kingdom Come: Deliverance  (Read 3849 times)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
« on: 30-01-2014, 17:01:44 »
I'm surprised this has not been posted here, so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyfmd9ZMyIw

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance

A first-person, open world, realistic RPG that will take you to Medieval Europe in a time of great upheaval and strife. A humble, young blacksmith loses everything to war. As he tries to fulfill the dying wish of his father, Fate drags him into the thick of a conspiracy to save a kidnapped king and stop a bloody conflict. You will wander the world, fighting as a knight, lurking in the shadows as a rogue, or using the bard’s charm to persuade people to your cause. You will dive deep into a sweeping, epic, nonlinear story from Daniel Vávra, an award-winning designer from the Mafia series. Our unique, first-person combat system lets you wield sword or bow in both one-on-one skirmishes and large-scale battles. All of this - and more - brought to life beautifully with next-gen visuals delivered via Cryengine.

Non-linear story lets you choose between being a villain or a savior. Every quest can be solved in multiple ways.
    A revolutionary combat system based on inverse kinematics, the only one of its kind to offer a rich, authentic yet easy-to-control, first-person melee experience. Based on actual 15th century fighting techniques and designed in cooperation with medieval martial arts experts.
    Improve your character. Different play styles - warrior, rogue or bard - can be mixed and matched as you see fit. You can develop your skills, earn new perks, and fine-tune your equipment.
    Large realistic, medieval-themed, open world landscape covering 3.5 square miles and 30 hours of gameplay (in first act, out of 3 total).
    Lead the charge in enormous, open field battles and sieges. You are no superhero. If you’re going to take on an army of enemies, you better find one of your own to back you up.
    Take a trip through the Middle Ages: Traverse sprawling cities, magnificent castles, towering, dark forests, and muck-strewn villages.
    Discover this huge world from horseback or on foot. If you can see it, you can visit it.
    A dynamic world comes alive. Every inhabitant plays a role in their communities, and as night follows day, you can watch people work, help them when needed, or try to interfere in their routine and see what happens.
    Build relationships with characters, become a criminal or a local hero, seduce local women, threaten your enemies or pardon vanquished opponents.
    Create your own weapons, cook, brew up potions, or dig around for silver. All crafting occurs in-game, using clever mini-games, rather than boring, soulless menus.
« Last Edit: 30-01-2014, 17:01:45 by VonMudra »

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance
« Reply #1 on: 30-01-2014, 19:01:34 »
Oh yeah, I saw that on TWC. Looks like a gr8 concept. Good luck to them.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-01-2014, 20:01:30 »
Looks cool, but I'm just too sceptical of will they really fullfill all their promises. And even if technically do, will it be what I was expecting, who knows.

I might very well buy it when it get's released, depends how it looks then. Seems they reached their original goals on kickstarter anyway.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31-01-2014, 15:01:06 »
Interesting to see how they are going to handle the "mature" aspects - like The Witcher, or like 99% of the RPG's do. Bearing in mind how warfare was conducted at the time, how people behaved, what were women's and minorities' rights, etc. Placing the events in a fantasyland gives some suspension of disbelief, but if Europe in the 16th-17th centuries is depicted as Moomin Valley, it really isn't going to fly IMHO.

Still remebering the "invisible children" from Fallout 2. >:(

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31-01-2014, 15:01:59 »
Also, open world is always nice, but 3,5 square miles isn't anything. I mean, is that typo on their kickstarter page  ???

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31-01-2014, 19:01:47 »
I've had my eye on it. It shows great potential if they can pull it.

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-02-2014, 04:02:30 »
I would have preferred it to be a crusade game or a 9th to 11th game, but I'll buy it.

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-02-2014, 15:02:45 »
I'm rather sceptical about this. We've had other projects running on the cryengine, all of them have failed. The most notable was probably the Jurassic park mod, which won the MOTY award only never to be heard of again..

I still have to see the first modification on the cryengine that will be released

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02-02-2014, 15:02:31 »
There always is a first, isn't there? ;)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-02-2014, 23:02:05 »
http://www.moddb.com/mods?filter=t&kw=Search+...&released=&style=def&theme=&game=11569&type=

There were released mods for Cryengine and some of them were/are pretty decent. I played Casus Belli for some time and Mech Warrior and Wreckage were pretty nice too from what I gathered. Those were developed on CE2 though. CE 3 is still pretty new so I am not in a hurry to see wich projects will evolve using this technology. Problem with mods like Casus Belli was that the MP community was not really active, so Kingdom Come won't have this problem.

The rather small map seems to be only the first part of the game. If it succeeds there will be additional areas and features.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-02-2014, 09:02:20 »
I would have preferred it to be a crusade game or a 9th to 11th game, but I'll buy it.
Would probably have been a cultural shock for players: even knights wear only chainmail, swords are rare and expensive, very few polearms such as halberds, crossbows already replacing longbows outside England, still unified Catholic Church (that only recommended, not required celibacy of the clergy) etc.
Also, open world is always nice, but 3,5 square miles isn't anything. I mean, is that typo on their kickstarter page  ???
Starting area is really stated to be 3km by 3km = 9km2 or 3, 5sqmiles.

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03-02-2014, 11:02:16 »
It seems it will be something fun to try, late medieval warfare is an interesting thing.

@Kelmola: Hmm, you're right. Modern-day depiction of the knight in shining armour deserves to be busted.
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-02-2014, 11:02:40 »
Knights did eventually get their shining armour, but only after the Crusade era (what with metallurgy improving and making plate mail financially and technologically viable, just in time to counter the abundance of crossbows and rapidly improving firearms). The stereotypical image of a "knight" is actually how they last looked, say, when the Hakkapeliitta (essentially modern cavalry) #rekt the Ironclads in the Thirty Years' War. 19th century and Romanticism just made sure that this was how knights of all times were depicted. Of course this is nothing new - for example, King Arthur/Roland/etc. had been depicted for centuries as always wearing contemporary gear, so it makes kind of a sense that once the knights were no more, the lastest imagery still remained in use.

But, the Reformation era and early nationalism offers also much more political intrigue (besides allowing historically accurate "medieval" gear).

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04-02-2014, 03:02:14 »
Would probably have been a cultural shock for players: even knights wear only chainmail, swords are rare and expensive, very few polearms such as halberds, crossbows already replacing longbows outside England, still unified Catholic Church (that only recommended, not required celibacy of the clergy) etc.

Yeah, probably, but it would have been cool. I have a a preference for the 9th to 11th century or the crusade because I've studied under Pietro boglioni the story of crusade at university and since that, I hope to see a game who depicts what I have learned with this great teacher.
« Last Edit: 04-02-2014, 03:02:30 by Alakazou »

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07-02-2014, 14:02:59 »
This thing seems to be on a roll. 3 video updates in a week.

I wonder if they will include gunpowder...
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon