Author Topic: The Battle for Sfakia 64  (Read 23246 times)

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
Re: The Battle for Sfakia 64
« Reply #15 on: 17-04-2009, 23:04:28 »
I would add some 'out of bounds area' in the water between harbor and monastery. Sometimes it kills immersion. Making west road or rearguard (or both) unrecap, maybe more than 1 person capture could stabilize the front a bit. Sneaky 1 man bastards are always annoying.

When I think of any other suggestions I post'em later but it's a hard task as the map is bloody perfect!
« Last Edit: 17-04-2009, 23:04:18 by Kubador »

Offline Sturmbocke

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12-07-2009, 13:07:21 »
I have got stuck few times in this spot, always when trying to jump down from second floor. I have seen others being stuck there too, only choice being suicide. You get stuck between the wall and the chest thingy.

"If a Tiger appears, send out a troop of four Sherman to destroy the panzer and expect only one to come home"

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05-10-2009, 17:10:40 »
For AI, this is by far the most solid and challenging map for Germans... but is quite the walkover for Brits... If something could be done to make Germans more aggressive, if even only when in slightly greater numbers, it will be fun defending...

Germans have the advantage of the Mg34, let them use it at long range to suppress and harrass
Germans use potato masher grenades at longer range than Brits - let them make use of this fact for some advantage

Thompsons are/ should be less accurate than MP40s and should make a tactical difference in the flow of the map, to make it challenging for Tommies...

The real balance should be the Bren and Light tank as well some defensive bases like the Temple and town

But it should generally be as difficult for Brits as Germans

Offline psykfallet

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15-02-2010, 13:02:44 »
how about a mortar for gerries?

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07-03-2010, 15:03:55 »
A mortar pickup - yes yes yes!

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10-03-2010, 17:03:30 »
And now a very viable option to make Gerry get something extra in SP/COOp thanks to Drawde

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27-04-2010, 18:04:51 »
A few minor bugs i've found

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30-06-2010, 14:06:57 »
Look what i've found

A photograph of Sfakia:

You did a bloody good job but i believe it needs more unnecessary trees  ;D

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile

Offline Mr_Cheese

• FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #24 on: 02-10-2010, 01:10:35 »
Look what i've found

A photograph of Sfakia:

You did a bloody good job but i believe it needs more unnecessary trees  ;D
Already done and coming to a patch near you at some point... ;)

Offline Excavus

• Member of the FH2 Cynic Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18-07-2012, 06:07:48 »
This map is extremely frustrating and unbalanced. It needs a serious overhaul.

Firstly, push mode should be introduced. Nothing is more frustrating than taking one flag, and then moving onto the next, only for the Brits to back-cap a flag you captured 10 minutes ago. I think gameplay would be greatly enhanced with push mode, as the fighting would be more concentrated, instead of everyone scrambling to every flag.

Secondly, ABC Lines need to be introduced. The British should not be allowed into the mountains at ALL, because as it stands, they can shoot into the German spawns as soon as they start climbing down the hills, especially in their flanking mountains.

Thirdly, cap zones are far too small. At The West Road, it's almost impossible to capture this flag, because the capzone is literally like one meter wide, and there is absolutely no cover around to protect yourself from people shooting miles away from the town, and in the mountains.

Together, these three basic changes will go a long way into improving this map. It's quite a shame really with this map in it's current state, how beautiful it can be, but also how universally loathed it is by the players, just because of the frantic gameplay.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18-07-2012, 13:07:06 »
Firstly, push mode should be introduced.
Push is not the "Let's implement it and then everything will be solved" tool. The variety in the mod is important. Some maps have push, others don't. In my experience it is quite easy for the Germans to push off the allies. Also, Mr Cheese says in this very thread it won't be implemented because it will lose it's chaotic nature. In other words: the mapper wants this fight to be chaotic.

Secondly, ABC Lines need to be introduced. The British should not be allowed into the mountains at ALL, because as it stands, they can shoot into the German spawns as soon as they start climbing down the hills, especially in their flanking mountains.
As far as I know, the terrain itself prevents Brits to go into the mountains. Germans shoot from above to below, way easier than the other way around.

Thirdly, cap zones are far too small. At The West Road, it's almost impossible to capture this flag, because the capzone is literally like one meter wide, and there is absolutely no cover around to protect yourself from people shooting miles away from the town, and in the mountains.
You can cap from inside the building. Stand in the corner and you will cap the flag.

It's quite a shame really with this map in it's current state, how beautiful it can be, but also how universally loathed it is by the players, just because of the frantic gameplay.
I'm really surprised at this. I have never heard a "universal loathing" of Sfakia. Also, in it's "current state": it hasn't been changed much since it got into the mod, so not sure what you mean by that.

Offline Excavus

• Member of the FH2 Cynic Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18-07-2012, 20:07:30 »
Firstly, push mode should be introduced.
Push is not the "Let's implement it and then everything will be solved" tool. The variety in the mod is important. Some maps have push, others don't. In my experience it is quite easy for the Germans to push off the allies. Also, Mr Cheese says in this very thread it won't be implemented because it will lose it's chaotic nature. In other words: the mapper wants this fight to be chaotic.
This is a feedback thread, not counter everything I say thread. I'm giving suggestions to make the map better, and this is what will make it better.

As far as I know, the terrain itself prevents Brits to go into the mountains. Germans shoot from above to below, way easier than the other way around.
Incorrect. The British can easily get into the mountains and watch the German spawns. Just yesterday I was spawning in the mountains above The West Road, and then immediately getting shot by 3 Brits in varying places in the mountains beside me.

You can cap from inside the building. Stand in the corner and you will cap the flag.
You missed the point here. The West Road is an example of a small cap point, but pretty much all of flags need their zones enlarged. The West Road especially, because there is no cover because of the stupidly small capture area, and one corner inside a building isn't enough cover for an entire squad.

It's quite a shame really with this map in it's current state, how beautiful it can be, but also how universally loathed it is by the players, just because of the frantic gameplay.
I'm really surprised at this. I have never heard a "universal loathing" of Sfakia. Also, in it's "current state": it hasn't been changed much since it got into the mod, so not sure what you mean by that.
Oh really? Just yesterday, while playing Sfakia, almost everyone in the WaW server was complaining about the map at hand. By meaning, "current state", I mean that it's current state is flawed, as it was in 2.4 and 2.3 and so on, and will be so until it's changed.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18-07-2012, 21:07:34 »
This is a feedback thread, not counter everything I say thread. I'm giving suggestions to make the map better, and this is what will make it better.
I know, I was just replying to your feedback. It is a forum, meant for communication. It will not make the map better per se, and like I said: the mapper doesn't want it in. End of story.

Incorrect. The British can easily get into the mountains and watch the German spawns. Just yesterday I was spawning in the mountains above The West Road, and then immediately getting shot by 3 Brits in varying places in the mountains beside me.
OK, I didn't know that. That's clearly a bug. I'll check and report it if I can reproduce.

You missed the point here. The West Road is an example of a small cap point, but pretty much all of flags need their zones enlarged. The West Road especially, because there is no cover because of the stupidly small capture area, and one corner inside a building isn't enough cover for an entire squad.
I just gave you a tip there. You might be right about the capzones, I have never experienced it as annoying or anything. Upper Town for example is pretty large.

Oh really? Just yesterday, while playing Sfakia, almost everyone in the WaW server was complaining about the map at hand.
OK, then maybe that's a US server vs Euro server thing. Like I said, I have never seen (much) complaining about Sfakia. It surprised me because of that, and also because of the fact that the map is quite old and this feedback comes now.

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18-07-2012, 22:07:13 »
We play Sfakia 16 a lot on the WaW public server and it's always a good time - we try the 64 from time to time and never enjoy it. I played the same round as Excavus and while I don't agree with any form of push mode on this map, an ABC line is a good idea and I especially agree about the cap radius for the West Road. It's like there is a specific crack in the road you must stand in, so exposed you may as well be unarmed, and for either side it's usually just too much to ask for.

As a counter to the push idea, I wouldn't mind all flags being 2-person caps like Harbour and Monastery, but then again I don't think there should be one single flag on a non-16 sized map that can be capped by only one person so take that for what it's worth.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.