Author Topic: FH2.4 First Immpressions  (Read 24394 times)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: FH2.4 First Immpressions
« Reply #30 on: 16-07-2011, 00:07:24 »
-Tank turret traverse with mouse feels weird, but on the other hand I like it. Makes tanks more like tanks and less like mechas.

Did you read my post in the first page? Some helpful tips if you just went balls first for tanking with the new system.

Offline therenas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16-07-2011, 00:07:22 »
The German tanks are hard for Allied tanks, but I saw that the new Bazooka does very well even against Panthers... other than that you can only do, what Allies did in WW2:
Hide and ambush or flank... but the second one can be rather difficult on some maps...

Offline Watchtower1001

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16-07-2011, 00:07:50 »
Likes -

- New Maps  - overall some A+ quality stuff here, enjoying the vertical game play and interesting angles
- New Audio
- New Vehicles, Player Models, skins, etc
- Favorite new map is Meuse River so far -- enjoying the interesting look, Hills to climb up and down is a welcome change from relatively flat maps
- GFX are great, the new shaders are nice
- Thompson finally feels usable and balanced, thank you.
- Removal of crosshair is okay by me as hit indications help.

Dislikes -

-Removed tracers on deployed mgs.  Smaller less frequent tracers would be nice, its hard to see what you are hitting now that film grain cuts your distance view, you can't see any bullet impacts :/  Tracers also serve to provide immersion, battles with tracers everywhere look awesome.

-Too much inertia on tank turrets.  I understand a change was probably necessary, however, i believe the penalty for too much gain on the turret speed is slightly overdone.  Time spent on tanks may change my opinion but initially my reaction is negative.

Very Dislike -

-Player speed decrease. 

So we have these giant maps with a now very slow player speed.  Classic game play mistake 101.  Many mods that fail ultimately have this in common -- large maps, slow player.  Bad form FH2, bad form.  Slow down? Fine, whatever.   But on the sprint???  Rename sprint to "Jog".   10%...no way.  Too drastic of a change.

Something which I always thought was just right in the game is the player speed.

The slow down feels like a giant catering to the hardcore realism PR crowd, and what ever happened to the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?? 

When oh when did players ever complain the player speed is too fast??  I'd sure love links to threads about player being too fast and players wanting to see it changed.

I believe the long term consequences of this are that players will abuse vehicles more, and newer players will be less inclined to stay around for faster paced games and less flag capping will be happening because it'll take too darn long to get anywhere.  Would love to be wrong about this.

« Last Edit: 16-07-2011, 00:07:37 by Watchtower1001 »
"762 Admin"
"Watchtower's Fh2 2.45 Sound Conversion - http://tinyurl.com/WatchySoundMod"

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16-07-2011, 00:07:10 »
-Too much inertia on tank turrets.  I understand a change was probably necessary, however, i believe the penalty for too much gain on the turret speed is slightly overdone.  Time spent on tanks may change my opinion but initially my reaction is negative.

Tank turret spinning fast and hard to control? If so, read my post on the first page.

Offline K.Cower

• I use immersive HUD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16-07-2011, 00:07:31 »
Some people, like to write, not to read.
Patch is perfect. Thanx guys for hard work
Sinn Féin

Offline Rustysteel

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16-07-2011, 00:07:09 »
Just got off the Forgotten honour server had a good night on there here's what I think so far

-Tanks....what a difference really enjoyed them tonight, love the keyboard controls, love all the beefed up sounds they feel like proper metal beasts now. I seen the angle modifier at work was playing eppeldorf in the jagdpanzer and seen a couple of shots ricochet off the shermans, also noticed that shermans turret blows off when destroyed looked really cool 8) I got robbed of a KT kill on bastogne in the sherman 76, managed to flank right round and hit him in the rear, he started backing up and looking for me and I'm about to put the finishing round in when round ends arghh. Cant say for sure yet how this will affect balance for tanks I think it's too soon to tell but first impressions were pretty good tonight.

Graphics- Really like the new effects seen  two people whine A LOT about them, but I thought it was better everything seemed to just blend, before you could see playermodels and vehicles from miles away now it's a lot harder and I like it.

Maps-First class, not a dud amongst them even getting hammered in hurtgen forest as the jerries I enjoyed it. I also got to try sidi rezegh which was good fun jumped into the M13 and laughed when I heard the mightiest machine gun sound come from this tin can :D

Infantry-Didn't really do a lot of ground pounding and when I did I was mostly trying to just hide and spot for arty was good fun though.

Arty-This is the only thing I thought 'meh' the mobile arty is really hard to use. I had to jump in the rocket jeep with a guy called panzer_pimp and steer/aim while he manned the rockets, was really awkward I hope that the bug that forced the separation of the positions is sorted someday :-\

So overall superb update to FH had a good night on Forgotten honour but it sounds like some of you guys we're having a bad one on hslan. Just want to say when it comes to discussing balance and using hslan play as an example, please remember that this server never switches sides or even mixes up the teams when one is getting really hammered. That has a massive effect on how the game plays and is my major gripe with that particular server. I've spent whole evenings on there and my team has lost every round no matter what we did so not saying you guys are wrong just saying that the server might have had something to do with it as well as the new gameplay changes.
« Last Edit: 16-07-2011, 00:07:47 by Rustysteel »

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16-07-2011, 00:07:24 »

When oh when did players ever complain the player speed is too fast??  I'd sure love links to threads about player being too fast and players wanting to see it changed.

I complainted, they moved way faster than the world record sprinter.

Offline Rustysteel

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16-07-2011, 00:07:44 »
Yeah have to say I didn't really notice that much of slow down when I was on foot.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #38 on: 16-07-2011, 00:07:19 »
Just my luck that I came down with a case of crippling lag about the time I liberated the zb.26 on Hurtgen (I still got an 800ms ping kill with it though).

Anyway, I only had the time to play 4 rounds:

First was Eppeldorf, where I spent most of my time in a M4A3 spamming HE into forests and generally stopping the advance of German infantry (this was a comfortable US victory).

Next was Meuse, where I did a bit of infantry followed by an epic bit of mortaring (I'd like to thank all the spotters).  Came down to a nail-biting finish with 7 tickets apiece, with the Germans going on to win 5-0.

Third was Vossenack, where I spent my time on foot chasing around after tanks or in an M4A3 chasing around after more tanks.  I think this was a US victory.

Finally was Hurtgen.  I think tactics have yet to be learnt for this, as the US team spent a long time and a lot of tickets getting to Katzenhart.  After that, the lag set in and I couldn't do much but hope it went away.

Offline MeanMotherJr

• Yes, I know I have a typo in my username...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 16-07-2011, 01:07:35 »
-Very well designed maps, they look and play great
-The Thompson sounds a lot better then the previous version
-Added coop for Leisiby (I know I misspelled it) and other SP maps

Dislikes:
-Tank turrents move too slow and are hard to turn back around
-Only one new SP map, Eppendorf, and the bots seem slow on it, however, I haven't played it all the way yet

Things to Note: Meuse River-1944 with less then 10 people seems like a tank fest.

Offline hslan.GN_Angrybeaver

• FH-Betatester
  • EEVIIIIIIL BEAVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16-07-2011, 01:07:11 »
Out of all the 8 rounds I've played so far on the new maps, the Germans have won EVERY SINGLE ROUND. I'm not exaggerating here, they actually did win every round with a significant ticket lead.
Doesn't mean an awful lot. I played 4 rounds sofar.
Meuse, German win
Bastogne, US win
Hurtgen, US win.
Vossenack, German win.
Come to Hslan......we had ace players on the allied team and we got Flattend every single round

time time i played us team we won all rounds

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 16-07-2011, 01:07:19 »
I loved every second of playing today. Tank fights are now much more than who gets the first shot.Knife works a lot better (i got two kills with it each time first hit killed them). I haven't gotten to try the airplanes but i will.Sounds are awesome too but i believe the cannon sounds for tanks could be a bit improved.Everything looks much much better now.

Keep up the good work devs...And i sure hope you are proud of this release.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 16-07-2011, 01:07:09 »
I played every map two times

Overall feeling and feedback I got from people was the gameplay effects are a large improvement on 2.3
When asked how people thought about removal of crosshairs I got immediate seven replies of approval. Players also seem to like the blown away turret effect and the fear of God that new arty sounds put in every fiber of your body.

The two maps I enjoyed most are Hurtgen Forest and Eppeldorf. I had some insane time defending the farm at Eppeldorf. Bodies were stuck three feet high on the upper floor.

We had around 500 or 600 players this evening, keeping in mind that PR also has her Release evening I'd say that a great accomplishment.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline therenas

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 16-07-2011, 01:07:46 »
The new artillery sounds are just great... the sound of incoming mortar and artillery rounds and rockets really scare people...
I had a great round on Bastogne today... manned the rocket launcher of the Axis and got some spotters, too... one spotted two players (sniper+mg) lying on a hill and picking of targets from the distance...
My first salvo of four rockets blew the sniper past his comrade... he got on his feet and ran for the next rock for cover, mortar rounds from axis mortars exploding all around him... when I had reloaded I sent my second salvo in a straight line from the last aiming point towards his hiding point... he must have known that it was his end.
Later a spotter spotted one of the flags, a building complex on a small hill... when I saw Allied soldiers advancing to defend the position I just sent a spread salvo all over the place... the smoke and debris obscured my view, but after the dust settled down I could see 4 enemy soldiers on the ground with the rest running for cover in the buildings.
Great game.
About the new graphic grain shader... I like it... the colors don't look so bright and clear anymore... I don't see a problem in not being able to see small targets at great distances... instead the whole game now looks much darker, depressing, dirty... just like war is...

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 16-07-2011, 01:07:08 »
Very Dislike -

-Player speed decrease. 
You completely missed the point with this design  ;)
I wanted to get rid of the silly stamina punishment you used to suffer from jumping over obstacles in this mod. As reality have it, you need to jump alot in this mod. Be it over walls, boxes or simply random crap.
So I reduced the stamina punishment a lot from jumping, and I lowered the sprint speed a bit. But to compensate, I let you sprint longer than before.
So the effect is: Less fast sprinters running around (which adds to a spammy and confusing gameplay), less punishment for moving around the maps, but still allowing you to cross longer distances in shorter time.

So in effect: you run "faster" in 2.4, since you can sprint longer, but the speed at which you sprint, is slower.
Together with the removed Crosshair, it is the exact right direction we want to take infantry game play. It has nothing to do with any other mod or game, or based off on what anyone has "complained" about. it's what we want.