Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 180070 times)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #585 on: 20-04-2010, 21:04:01 »
That has always been the problem, people but SPR up against TRL.

They are too complete different movies with different intentions. SPR is one big homage to all these classic World War II movies from the 40's, 50's and even 60's.

TRL is not eve one same map, totally different movie with different intentions.

People watch SPR, then watch TRL and expect the same thing but in the Pacific.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: 20-04-2010, 21:04:08 »
I thought SRP was one of the best, if not my favorite war movie. it had a grittiness about the way the characters were, the equipment, the violence which depicted ALOT more of what you'd really get, and somehow they managed to stay ontrack with the plot while developing personality for each of the 8 men, Ryan and even a bit of work on Corporal Henderson and a few other asides.

Ofcourse, I can understand why with such hype as people like myself create, one would just get pissed by it, magnifying the subtle unrealistic aspects to make it the more annoying...

Opinions are sacred things one cannot touch - you can only say yours and hope it lands on someone who relates

Personally, I give SPR a 9/10... My only gripe with it was what Ryan figured was a worthy payment for all the men did for him... he should well have invented a frigging longer lasting light bulb - lol

but please, leave my sacred SPR alone now... I won't touch on the Thin Red line any longer either

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: 20-04-2010, 23:04:05 »
I rather like the battle-oriented war movies. Where the movie actually is about the battle. The story is tactical problems on the battlefield thats beeing solved, and not some inner mental struggle of the characters or points of morale beeing expressed. Saying battle-oriented i mean movies like The Longest Day, When Trumpets Fade, A Bridge Too Far, Hamburger Hill, Tali Ihantala 1944, and so on. Besides to these movies i think SPR and TRL can be compared. 

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: 21-04-2010, 00:04:53 »
I recall learning some of my first tactical lessons from SPR... before I got BIA and learnt fire and maneuver.

I understood why their attempt to funnel the enemy through a narrow corridor failed when Upham stopped supplying the ammo to the 2 mg positions and how the 20mm totally killed their plan to hold position by instantly reducing their fighting strenth

Most other war movies prior either focused on an over-all historic strategy that was too wide in scope to make the fire fights on the screen seem like anything more than pointless skirmishes - Even BoB didn't have as tactical actions as in SPR - you actually got the sense of the effect of each move in the operation while still managing their psyche and character development... you have to give credit for that!

Dog green sector was a bit vague though - Yer, you get where the sea wall is, but then you wonder how the heck Sgt Horvath lay right in the way of the mg covering Dog one's exit while trying to spot God-knows what... but you also get the sense that not all soldiers shot die from the injuries

now that's detail I'm yet to see in any other WW2 movie. Most people go down as soon as they get hit and stop moving. Not in SPR though... Oh yer, and there was distant sound variant... First movie I watched that made me appeciate distances and range and hence the scope of a battle.. Always been sensitive to the realism of sound since then

Again, just me...

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: 21-04-2010, 00:04:50 »
And me.

You basically describe why I still love that movie, despite it's Spielbergian flaws.
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline spartanlegend

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: 21-04-2010, 13:04:25 »
I never payed that much attention to it last time I saw it Djinn, you have just given me a reason to see it again.

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: 21-04-2010, 16:04:57 »
I strongly disagree. SPR is far less tactical than BoB and many other war movies, the ones i mentioned for example. As you say Dog Green is vague, its for example alot better explained in The Longest Day. The last big battle in SPR is quite tactical, yes, but the movie in general has not so much tactic imo. The last battle is tactical, but it also give me alittle feeling of A-team (i guess ill be slaughtered for that comment)

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: 21-04-2010, 18:04:59 »
Yeah, at one point your right, but to me SPR is one of the few warmovies that gives you that "almost like being there" feeling as viewer, especially in the last battle. I guess some choices had to be made between tactics and what works on screen. As The Longest Day proves. I rewatched that last month after last seeing it 20 years ago and meticulous as it may be, it is simply not that exciting. So these two balance eachother out nicely. ;)

My only gripe with SPR is the radarpost-assault. That to me always came across as a rather silly way to attack a MG nest and consequently the scene's sole purpose seems to be to humanize The Enemy. But as an overall warmovie it's still one of my favourites.

By the way,to keep things on topic, I saw Oliver Stone's Salvador last night. That guy should make more warmovies. Pretty impressive camerawork, especially since it was quite a low budget movie. I love Platoon, but always felt most of the battlescens got muddled in the darkness. But in Slavador he shows he knows how to direct a crowd.  :)

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: 21-04-2010, 19:04:36 »
Havent seen Salvador, it looks very promising and ill see it soon  :)   SPR and BoB i guess is the ones who succeed most giving the viewer the feeling of "almost beeing there", it should have credits for that for sure.

My favorite war movie story must be When Trumpets Fade, i never get tired of that movie, even if its quite low-budget.

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: 21-04-2010, 21:04:16 »
I strongly disagree. SPR is far less tactical than BoB and many other war movies, the ones i mentioned for example. As you say Dog Green is vague, its for example alot better explained in The Longest Day. The last big battle in SPR is quite tactical, yes, but the movie in general has not so much tactic imo. The last battle is tactical, but it also give me alittle feeling of A-team (i guess ill be slaughtered for that comment)
yup, your right, please step up here *leads up to the gallows* and you will be read your rights...oh wait they were revolked for even saying something that foolish!  :o
(A-Team was a good series though, not accurate or realistic, just a good watch)
Yeah, at one point your right, but to me SPR is one of the few warmovies that gives you that "almost like being there" feeling as viewer, especially in the last battle. I guess some choices had to be made between tactics and what works on screen. As The Longest Day proves. I rewatched that last month after last seeing it 20 years ago and meticulous as it may be, it is simply not that exciting. So these two balance eachother out nicely. ;)

My only gripe with SPR is the radarpost-assault. That to me always came across as a rather silly way to attack a MG nest and consequently the scene's sole purpose seems to be to humanize The Enemy. But as an overall warmovie it's still one of my favourites.

By the way,to keep things on topic, I saw Oliver Stone's Salvador last night. That guy should make more warmovies. Pretty impressive camerawork, especially since it was quite a low budget movie. I love Platoon, but always felt most of the battlescens got muddled in the darkness. But in Slavador he shows he knows how to direct a crowd.  :)

I agree though on the radarpost assault, they shouldn't have attacked it, especially the way they did under the circumstance.
« Last Edit: 22-04-2010, 05:04:05 by Oddball »

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: 21-04-2010, 23:04:58 »
Just finished Leningrad (2009), about the siege of Leningrad in WWII (obviously). I'm not really sure what to think of it. It's one of those movie you can easily complain about, but the overall intentions are good so you sort of want to like it.

The story is a bit contrived but turned out far better than the romantic journo-drama I expected after the first few minutes. The movie looks and sounds great, but judged as a war movie it has a lot of flaws. But it really is more of a war-drama so stuff like that is forgivable. It's on the verge of being overly symbolic but on the other hand a little oldschool Eisensteinian symbolism fits a movie like this and adds a nice russian touch to the movie.

An interesting but flawed document to one of those "forgotten" dramas of WWII that deserves to be seen.

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: 21-04-2010, 23:04:11 »
Well i formulated myself wrong. I mean Tom Hanks planning of the defense in the last SPR battle, reminds me of how Hannibal (the A team leader) planned his smart ideas of all kind near the end of every episode. Not anything else reminds me of A Team.  A Team was a very good watch indeed, always watched that and Airwolf back in the days  :)

Offline Invincible

• Armyyyyarrrrrr!
    • View Profile
    • Javelin Photos
« Reply #597 on: 22-04-2010, 00:04:37 »
Greenzone (2010)

Basically it goes about a Gunnery-Sergeant called Miller (played by Matt Damon), He is part of a team witch are responsible for finding the Iraqi Weapons of mass distraction (WMD's). After coming back from several spots empty handed he started to get pissed, then one day he once again gets falls Intel, while on site a Iraqi Local (Freddy) comes to him and tells him a meeting of highly ranked ex-military and other important persons is going on nearby. They do a surprise attack on the gathering and capture one of them, then they find out Iraqi general was there who is one of the top-searched person of the US government.
He starts tracing him. Then the CIA starts to get involved and so are other government agency's.
They all want to capture the General witch they claim knows very important Intel about the WMD's.
A large hunt starts to capture him, everyone works against everyone.

I don't know what I think of this movie, It started out great with a intro about the Bombing of Baghdad at the beginning of the war. It gave a really good feeling of the fear the people will have had.

-The storyline starts pretty good, but later on it gives the feeling that one person alone is responsible for the disappearing of all WMD's in Iraq.
-It was allot of information, names and different groups witch you have to remember to understand the storyline.
+The Story that its not on the US to decide what happens in Iraq was what I like. I felt sorry for Freddy witch is Iraqi.
+The recreation of Baghdad is awesome, it looks really good!
 I don't know where they film movies like these but they did a awesome job on that part.

But from the makers of the Bourne series (witch are great!), I expected more!

6/10
"If I advance, follow me. If I stop, urge me on. If I retreat, kill me."

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: 23-04-2010, 01:04:42 »
Clash of the Titans - 2010 remake

I strike this one down with one of zeus lightning bolts! It wont' get anything more than a 2/10 from me.
I don't wish to spoil it for those who haven't seen it. But I will do more than not recommend it, I will plead that anyone who enjoyed the 1981 version, not spoil the taste of it with this fiasco. Star-studded with at least 4 or 5 big names and some very familiar faces, but totally turning the well-loved plot of Perseus, Andromeda, Pegasus, Callibos, Medussa and the gods of mount Olympus on its head.

Its as if the director wished to mix-mash the story... just to see what he'd get. Then there is the painfully weak dialogue further marred with those silly little jokes that some people feel all adventure movies of that period require, and 3D effects that are too obvious and ass thin as bread crust as though the entire movie was developed on one guys PC in 15minutes of fervor. Imagine the Scorpion King, then imagine special effects, score, dialogue and plot watered down to 1 part to 1000 - and you'd get what I mean

I regret such remakes exists, because then it means we cannot have another... Worst part was, it had one of my recent favorite actors in the lead role playing a card-board cutout, one-dimensional character with nothing but cliches and punchlines to his literary credit... :-(

« Last Edit: 23-04-2010, 02:04:25 by djinn »

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: 23-04-2010, 05:04:21 »
I heard the remake was pretty bad already but it's been confirmed by Djinn. I enjoyed the 1981 version and still watch it occasionally!

And damn you all for talking about SPR and the distant sounds! Now I'm tempted to ride my bike to my dads and grab my SPR dvd

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3