Author Topic: Deviation for tanks  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Mazz

• View Profile
Re: Deviation for tanks
« Reply #15 on: 08-07-2010, 09:07:42 »
Actually they kill just fine at long range, you just have to mostly ignore the tracers and find the bullet drop. But they do have a pretty significant cone given the accuracy of the rest of the games MGs.
Michael Wittmann's gunner, Bobby Woll, was known to be an excellent Marksman.
He could hit targets at range even on the move.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08-07-2010, 10:07:43 »
As said before I second this motion, just for the sake of not saying those ridiculously fast rotating turrets.
If possible please consider this for future patches.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Miklas

• Ingame: Calle_XVI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08-07-2010, 10:07:49 »
This would lead to total camping, no more armor support for inf because of this.
What about adding the deviation when going flat out only and let there be no deviation when going slowly? This could be coupled with the 'turbo-boost-button' (shift for walking speed) for tanks that let them travel at walking speed.

I really like the suggestion.

Offline Battlefieldfan45 (CroPanzer)

• Gebalte? Anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08-07-2010, 13:07:21 »
I don't support this.

Playing WoT with ingame nick: CroPanzer

Offline Ahonen

• "The grass just spoke chinese."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08-07-2010, 13:07:21 »
I don't support this.

At least tell us why.
-A certain plumber took 'shrooms when he failed to rescue his girlfriend from being raped by a gorilla. His whole experience was documented in a game.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08-07-2010, 13:07:27 »
I think the idea of OP is that when you swing your turret too fast your aim would be destablized. Just like in bf2 when you swing your rifle too quickly your crosshair become larger (more deviation).

While I think this is a very good idea (for normal speed turret swing I think there shouldn't be none deviations though, that means the stabilizing rate should equal or exceed the deviation rate), it seemed the toddel had tried it already.

Meanwhile the deviation when you drive and stop is already there, just that you don't have any deviation when you don't stop and shoot right away. (The common pitfall is that you stop your tank to aim at a target that surprised you)
« Last Edit: 08-07-2010, 13:07:08 by General_Henry »

Offline ottozeimer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08-07-2010, 13:07:10 »
great Idea, but considering, that tanks spawn 20 minutes after being destroyed your ambush will be overrun in no time. This game is much more arcadeish than simulation :)

Offline Ahonen

• "The grass just spoke chinese."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08-07-2010, 14:07:16 »
great Idea, but considering, that tanks spawn 20 minutes after being destroyed your ambush will be overrun in no time. This game is much more arcadeish than simulation :)

They spawn much faster than that, and it doesn't make an ambush any less effective. This is pretty much the only effective way of using Stugs, Marders and other similar vehicles.
-A certain plumber took 'shrooms when he failed to rescue his girlfriend from being raped by a gorilla. His whole experience was documented in a game.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08-07-2010, 15:07:40 »
Wait. Isn't the suggestion with regard to tanks in motion? Cuz that's very fair. A real tanker going bump inside a tank on the go wont aim as perfectly as one that is stationary, like infantry on the move contend with deviation due to hand motion. That said, it has the ability to nerf flank action which is lacking as is

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08-07-2010, 15:07:11 »
Well being a tanker at the FHT tournament i know that even now its really hard to hit on the move...Unless you have magically found the flattest of flat ground

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08-07-2010, 15:07:36 »
Yeah, from what I see most tanker halt before shooting ingame.

Offline Battlefieldfan45 (CroPanzer)

• Gebalte? Anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08-07-2010, 15:07:26 »
I mean it's just wrong!
A shell cannot just fly out of the barell in a wrong direction!
Maybe to blur the sights or something like that but putting deviation would be apsurd!

Playing WoT with ingame nick: CroPanzer

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08-07-2010, 15:07:47 »
Well the origininal suggestion regards turret moving deviation, but any additions or modifications are welcome.

As said above regarding movement deviation, this could be seriously reduced when driving at low speeds given there would be a shift key=infantry speed option.
If turret deviation is possible, it would encourage flanking because the defending tank can't just turn the turret and fire. It'll need some anticipation and planning to kill the assaulting tank.

I mean it's just wrong!
A shell cannot just fly out of the barell in a wrong direction!
Maybe to blur the sights or something like that but putting deviation would be apsurd!

MG's already have deviation. That also makes no sense, but you'll have to understand that deviation is the only solution in BF2 on how to tackle movement/settle penalties. Deviation resembles the time it would take to find a good position to lay down your gun at, judging the distances etc. But that can't be animated thus there's an accuracy penalty.
« Last Edit: 08-07-2010, 15:07:39 by Sander93 »

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08-07-2010, 15:07:55 »
OW You meant the Shell to have deviation????

Of course not mate everything coming out of the barrel goes straight ahead...What i want to see is you going away from the sights when moving turret too fast and when moving...That yes i want to see it but deviation on my shots...

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08-07-2010, 17:07:09 »
As i have said i prefer having fun being the best in one round with my own power and suck on all the rest than being awesome all rounds but have something tweaked to my aid.