Author Topic: Getting unsually high ping for no reason  (Read 3898 times)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Getting unsually high ping for no reason
« on: 09-06-2010, 04:06:04 »
Sorry if this has been posted, but I looked through all the stickies in this forum and found nothing. The basic problem is this: ever since 2.26 I've been having a problem with my ping. For the first few days FH2 ran fine on all servers, i would get a ping of about 112 on hslan and some others but that was fine. But then all of a sudden, my ping would start to jump to 500 or 1020 at some points. i looked through these forums for someone who's had a similar problem and found that I just had to reinstall FH2 and make sure not to mod it. (adding other maps or whatever that I've found on the internet) So I did that and it ran fine again for a while untill it started doing it again. i tried the same fix but this time it didn't work. I still get my ping jumping to 500 regulary making it impossible to play.

Has anyone else had problems like this?
Is there any fix or is it something with the server?

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Getting unsually high ping for no reason
« Reply #1 on: 09-06-2010, 14:06:19 »
Are you downloading something while playing? Or do you have a torrent program running? Those could be the reason why your ping is so high. I don't think its the game itself.

Offline Dnarag1M

• WoT Team
  • Forgotten Hope Alliance
    • View Profile
    • mah website
« Reply #2 on: 09-06-2010, 14:06:15 »
I think it might be coincidental that reinstalling the game fixed it.

High ping can not only be caused by programs down- or uploading something in the background (windows update, torrents etc) but also by limitations on the side of your provider or the interconnect between your country and another country (You seem to be playing from quite far away judging your 112 ping - eastcoast?)

I'm not sure what to do except try to see if pinging server outside of the game gives a similar latency.

http://support.uo.com/latency.html

Download and use UOTRACE, resolve the IP of the HSLAN server and try to do a tracert and ping. See at what hop the ping starts to increase (if anywhere at all).

If you only have high ping in game but not outside of it, we can look further into game settings...
« Last Edit: 09-06-2010, 14:06:03 by Dnarag1M »

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #3 on: 09-06-2010, 15:06:35 »
1) Is anyone else on the internet at the same time as you? e.g. when my wife plays iTunes and downloads podcats watch my ping go from 34 average to 1044, I might as well play through two cups and a string.

2) Is fucking bullshit twatty pile of shit Windows trying to update (ffs again!!) in the background, this will smash your ping to pieces, literally boot you off the server in some cases.  I'd suggest that this is the most likely cause.

HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-06-2010, 16:06:28 »
check for trojan viruses or other malware connecting to their masters

"jumping" ping cant realy be connected with the mod or even BF2.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-06-2010, 17:06:11 »
Yea I didn't think it was connected to the game, but I was willing to try anything.. Thanks for the suggestions tho guys, i'll try 'em out and see what I come up with

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16-06-2010, 13:06:01 »
If you've got a wireless router, make sure that it is passworded and that nobody is stealing your internets.