Author Topic: SUGGESTIONS FOR THE AI DEV(S)  (Read 44721 times)

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR THE AI DEV(S)
« Reply #75 on: 20-06-2019, 21:06:43 »
I have two suggestions:

How about making commander artillery load faster in singleplayer? In some maps, some flags which are heavily armed with machine guns, AT and AA are defended so well by the bots it is often impossible for the other team's bots to capture the flag. I often use the commander position's artillery to weaken these kinds of capture points, but it would add much more fun and ease if the artillery loaded faster.

The other suggestion is to make bots remain in transport vehicles like trucks or APC's. The bots do not get in the vehicle sometimes when I call them to. They will often only man the machine guns in APC's and will not get in when it comes to trucks.
Also when I manage to fill the truck/APC and drive, the bots will often quickly desert the vehicle even in the simplest rifle fire from far away enemies, spoiling my plans that initially got me to gather them in a transport vehicle.

I think these improvements would make singleplayer a lot more enjoyable.

First one could help re-balance some maps when playing solo, but the dev's also have to take into account Coop play which makes the artillery timeout all the more critical.

Second one. Good one ! Project Reality mod does this. So on APC's the gunner position is locked for the bots. Everyone else can get out but the gunner stays in. If you really want to rudely turf out the gunner then the player can switch to his position to kick him out. I'm not sure if it's possible to encourage bots to stay in vehicles. I think they do more in PR but I could be imagining that. To get around that myself when playing solo I rely on the squad respawn.

MY SUGGESTION: Add this python plugin to Coop/Solo to restore artillery and supply drops - https://www.moddb.com/games/battlefield-2/addons/advanced-ai-commander-plugin

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 22-06-2019, 12:06:05 »

MY SUGGESTION: Add this python plugin to Coop/Solo to restore artillery and supply drops - https://www.moddb.com/games/battlefield-2/addons/advanced-ai-commander-plugin

Excellent idea! I have recently reinstalled BF2142 and SP is much more fun when the commander is active
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #77 on: 26-06-2019, 12:06:37 »
Yes  :D. The plugin is a proof of concept and needs tuning. It's default state its way too aggressive as the timeout on the strike is way to short. I'm currently looking at how to set that in the script.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #78 on: 26-07-2019, 21:07:00 »
I know there is now no official AI dev but I'm slowly playing through all the navmeshed maps marking the one's that crash. Eventually I will play those one's using the debugger to find out what is wrong.

Another problem I'd like to fix is bot's not firing from the shoulder with rifles. It just looks kind of silly and there must be a way of fixing it because other rifles such as the Thompson do get fired from the shoulder ...

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 28-07-2019, 23:07:08 »
They occasionally do IIRC. But yes, it is quite irritating.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #80 on: 30-07-2019, 13:07:25 »
They occasionally do IIRC. But yes, it is quite irritating.

Yes.

Another thing is the repeated (automatic) firing of many tanks and AT guns ONLY in dedicated server games (not in games started in the client). I have still not got to the bottom of this and if its only an AI only thing. I've heard reports of this from people who play on internet servers but I'm not sure if those were coop or exclusively MP. There is some discussion about this on the BFSP forum

I'm slowly moving in on map fixes. I just found out that the FH2 debugger can be run as a dedicated server which I did not know. I thought it was client only. It's important to fix the maps in a Coop context in a MP focused game.