Author Topic: Forgotten Hope 2 Realism Mod?  (Read 22530 times)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope 2 Realism Mod?
« Reply #30 on: 25-12-2010, 01:12:27 »
Multi-crewed tanks are nice if you have 128+ players in the same game, or failing that want to portray small-scale operations, or want to make a military simulator where one man is one man no matter how many players are in the same game. If, on the other hand, you try to create an illusion of a much larger battle with only 64 players...

Haters gonna hate, but Moddb's MOTY award tells that FH2 is doing something right. And that "right" includes one-player-is-the-commander-gunner-loader-radioman-driver approach.

FH2 is small scale combat, not Kursk. Kursk wasn't one big massive battle performed at 3.31pm - it was a series of battles.
Yes, the Kursk Bulge was basically half of Eastern Front. But don't try to say that Prokhorovka - one of the battles in the "series" - was small-scale. :P

Offline Malsa

• A very static artist.
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25-12-2010, 02:12:55 »
There is no one stopping anyone to make a minimod for FH2 to prove the concept of 2 or 3-man tanks.
I've played mods for BF1942 and BF2 where several players have been required to fully operate a tank, I didn't like it because it didn't work. But anyone is free to prove me and all other nay-sayers that it would work better than one-man taks.

Offline Vicious

• I belong to Naughty Club
  • Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25-12-2010, 03:12:39 »
Well hold your breath, you may see a super l33t hax 128 player, realism, mega mod on the horizon.
So they are so infallible yet they can't even communicate and work with each other... sounds like politicians.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25-12-2010, 05:12:46 »
I think, people should create their own team and try to mod that "realism" out of FH2. I would like to try that as well.

But to be honest, if I want more realism, I'd go re-enacting or heck, join the military.

Regarding separated driver-gunner position on tanks:

Pros:
Tanks will have more value, since it normally carries more player (more ticket loss per kill), and people won't go wasting the asset like taking risk on ditches, fording, etc. They will use it carefully.

Improve immersion, as it adds more role into tanking. Players need to communicate more and teamwork become necessary.

Gunner can't shoot as accurate when moving - that's realistic? But the tank will be more mechanical and fuzzy sometimes, the crew are more likely to be confused. Only l33t players would play tanks better then.

Cons:

My speculation says, we would see more tanks being used as transportation means. The player would just drive the tank, knowing that he couldn't shoot the main gun, he'll just drive away from the firefight and straight to wherever place he wanted to be. -well talking about some pubbies' attitude.

Gunner can't shoot accurately, driver don't react properly, because there is no commander. Commanders here won't have much effect since players can't be court martial-ed.

In desperate situation, gunner will bail tanks often (e.g. entering and exiting tank in quick succession), they will only use the gunner position when they want, and bail to avoid being sighted, making tanks another static guns (without driver). Therefore, less value for tanks.

IIRC, the first game that introduce tanking with its full crews is Op: Flashpoint (the grandfather of today's ARMA). We have to man 3 positions (commander, driver, and gunner) to fully operate an Abrams tank. But you don't always need commander to make the thing works. That game only have limited number of tanks, since it is more focused on the combat. It also requires 2 helicopter crew to man a Cobra, the other is completely a pilot and can't shoot rockets as in PR, the other one is a gunner, which has every weapon it carries on his dispatch. It used to be played by serious guys, they re-enact the game like true geeks. I believe general BF2 players are of lower qualities in this aspect, they are more of fun-lovers.

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25-12-2010, 08:12:18 »
I say no, 2 guys in tank = less infantry! AND the beautiful thing of WW2 wich is present in FH2 is the bunch of infantry!

Charging fields in St.Lo with smoke cover is just too awesome!
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25-12-2010, 10:12:23 »
fh2 is a tactical game, not an infantry simulation.
Imo that's the reason why RO is so good. if RO had total war with planes, artillery manned  etc ... it would be horrible.

The problem isn't about realism, it's how to control players. (but well in fh2, we prefer to let them free into  realist environment, and i can agree that nowadays players won't act as they are supposed to do and so kill the ambiance ).

FH2 is basically BF1942 with better models and the SAME game-play nothing has changed. PR wasn't the first to introduce manned tanks - RO was, so you can't use the excuse oh its another PR-FH2 mod discussion/rant.

AAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA

Well it prove my poit and if you are a FH1 veteran you would have remember how difficult each time the wave of new player wouldn't play the mod the way we did in the 0.5x, 0.6x.
« Last Edit: 25-12-2010, 10:12:30 by Seth_Soldier »

Offline blue

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25-12-2010, 17:12:28 »
I personally do not care if it is done, but nothing good would probably come of it for one reason.

It would further divide a small community. The last thing FH2 really needs is something that could potentially divide an already limited playerbase. Unless it was for singleplayer only, it would do more harm than good.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #37 on: 25-12-2010, 19:12:47 »
I already started doing some tweaks to the weapons and the soldier in FH2.  Almost exact copies of PR weapons right now.  SKS = M1 garand, MP5=Tommy/MP40, Enfield=Mauser ect...Some have been tweaked beyond that with my own ideas for the weapons but I used PR as a good proven base.  Wanted to add turn deviation to bigger more awkward weapons.  Drum mag tommy holds more ammo but because of its weight the lil tommy might be better when you are all run and gun.  Also added suppresion to everything. SMG's/pistols will cause one to shit themselves up close.  Rifles and MG's can hit a little farther away with the same effect.  Also started playing with the materials a bit (but this was mostly for the sake of exploding walls and houses).  I have not dicked about with the tanks as of yet though.  If people are really horny about it I could do it with like a sherman and a PzIV those are a good match right?
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Vicious

• Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25-12-2010, 20:12:54 »
At this point I feel like if we started this, I would want to jump in 120%.

Meaning, why not add all the PR features we like not just a few.

So the dilemma is... make a FH mini-mod with a few PR features, make a PR mini-mod with some FH objects, or SOMEHOW make a "Mega-Mod" that would require both mods to be installed or somehow get permissions from both mods to combine elements without installation of either or just one.

The argument either dev team might make though is that they don't want their mod being used in an unintended way, so it will really be up to the dev teams as to what they will let us do with their content.

I'd really love to use a FH map but use PR features such as building spawn points and kit allocation.
So they are so infallible yet they can't even communicate and work with each other... sounds like politicians.

azreal

« Reply #39 on: 25-12-2010, 20:12:21 »
You will have to make an FH mini-mod with PR-style gameplay, since everything from PR would be code, which can be modeled and written by yourself, thus making it your work.

If you made a PR minimod with FH2 objects, you won't get permission to distribute your mod.

Offline Vicious

• Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 25-12-2010, 21:12:03 »
Good Point, I don't know the ethics behind taking code but if you say so  :P

anyone who wants to stay up to date, I'm starting a website at:

www.totalekrieg.webs.com

I'm gonna get something out next year even if it's just one map.

Offline Sindrio

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25-12-2010, 21:12:20 »
I would like realism... not too much but a little more.
The only thing that comes to my mind when we are at the realism subject is that I hate it when im in CQB, and a guy comes around a corner with a rifle, i start to fire at him with my SMG, and still he just shoots me.

The point is: I think it's too easy to kill with the rifle. Im also thinking this when I use it myself :-\
But that is really just my opinion :P
*Patiently waiting for updates*

Offline Vicious

• Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25-12-2010, 21:12:24 »
Tanks and Rifles will be made less powerful with immersion effects, you start shooting your Thompson, it blurrs their screen, and they miss the shot.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 25-12-2010, 21:12:00 »
whats your instance in crossair ? :P

Offline Vicious

• Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25-12-2010, 22:12:53 »
crosshairs are gone.