Author Topic: Picture of the Day (Other eras)  (Read 905805 times)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Re: Picture of the Day (Other eras)
« Reply #90 on: 13-10-2009, 22:10:24 »

Swedish MP during a Nordic Battle Group drill

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #91 on: 13-10-2009, 23:10:12 »

An abandoned Argentine rocket launcher on an improvised mounting discovered on top of a slide in a children's playground at the Goose Green settlement.

Sgt Ronald Hudson was serving as United Kingdom Land Force Public Relations Photographer at British Army HQ North East District, Imphal Barracks, York when he was tasked to accompany 2 Parachute Regiment to the Falklands. He sailed from Portsmouth on MV NORLAND on 26 April 1982, pausing (but not going ashore) at Ascension Island. Although MV NORLAND was his main base, he also spent time on CANBERRA and HMS RESOURCE. Hudson accompanied the landing of 5 Brigade at San Carlos on 21 May 1982 and subsequently covered Goose Green, Darwin, Bluff Cove, Mount Harriet and the advance on Port Stanley, working closely with Paul Haley, official photographer for Soldier Magazine. Hudson returned to Britain shortly after the surrender, returning from Ascension Island by Hercules aircraft. On leaving the Army, Hudson continued to work as a professional photographer in Yorkshire.

Offline SirGutz

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 14-10-2009, 00:10:31 »
The better German army

NVA parade, East Berlin, 1 May 1973

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 14-10-2009, 00:10:24 »

german 08/15 crew in a trench, WW1, autochrome.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Invincible

• Armyyyyarrrrrr!
    • View Profile
    • Javelin Photos
« Reply #94 on: 14-10-2009, 12:10:12 »

I was there with at Ranger Coy. Really solid guy. He got complimented many times on his grooming even by the CDS.
Those rangers are very well versed with those Enfields. Its not 5.56 its 7.62. They have killed polar bears with those rifles, and I would trust no one else but a ranger out there.
They are also armed with shotguns.

@Hassel
Which exercise was this? It looks like Northern Ontario or the Yukon to me but what the hell do I know
 Btw the Lee Enfield is a .303 rifle cartridge which is actually a little different from 7.62. If they (Rangers) needed a 7.62, then we should have never scrapped or sold our FN C1's to New Zealand .

@ Megaraptor,
One of the main reasons for issuing the .303 has to do with sourcing rounds for these rifles in a manner which is consistent with local procurement policies (out of rounds? pop into the gun shop).
 Seeing that the Canadian Rangers are not members of the Regular Canadian Forces, it would not be appropriate to issue anything more than a weapon for personal protection against wildlife and for subsistence hunting. (as a note, not every Ranger patrol is issued firearms, on the West Coast a couple of the units are authorized to carry their own rifle (or shotgun) with reimbursement for a nominal amount of rounds purchased, instead of being issued CF surplus material)

The greatest benefit acquired from Ranger patrols is the structured application of subsistence and navigation skills that are slowly being lost to technology and from cultural apathy amongst most Canadian tribes.

Members of the Canadian Rangers take part in a exercise during Operation Nanook in Iqaluit, Nunavut, Sunday, August 23, 2009. Operation Nanook is a inter-governmental operation that takes place in Canada's Arctic to show sovereignty over its northern territory. (Jonathan Hayward, CP)

"If I advance, follow me. If I stop, urge me on. If I retreat, kill me."

Offline Big Lebowski

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 14-10-2009, 19:10:25 »
2001 near Kabul.

Quiz: Taliban or Northern Alliance?
« Last Edit: 14-10-2009, 19:10:33 by Big Lebowski »

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #96 on: 14-10-2009, 20:10:36 »

Onlookers wave flags as the USS New York sails through heavy fog on the Mississippi River in New Orleans, Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2009. The ship was built with about eight tons of steel from the World Trade Center site and is on its way to New York, its home port. (AP / Patrick Semansky)

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 14-10-2009, 20:10:26 »

German troop encampment behind the lines, 1915.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 15-10-2009, 07:10:32 »

German attack at Arras, as far as I can tell, it is authentic.

Offline Big Lebowski

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 15-10-2009, 18:10:39 »
2001 Tora Bora, Afghanistan.

« Last Edit: 15-10-2009, 18:10:10 by Big Lebowski »

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #100 on: 15-10-2009, 21:10:18 »

Had the bomber waited another few seconds, the patrol would have been right on top of the explosive. Instead, nobody was seriously injured

Offline Invincible

• Armyyyyarrrrrr!
    • View Profile
    • Javelin Photos
« Reply #101 on: 16-10-2009, 01:10:33 »
WOW Rawhide, you posted the exact photo I wanted to post today!

(you got it from militairyphotos .net ??)

Awsome photo indeed, they where lucky!

Then I will go for these, sorry for not posting one, but this pictures come more to there right when you see the full scale of the asault
:
The 3 LCAC looks awsome in the background!

ALEXANDRIA, Egypt (Oct. 12, 2009) Two landing craft utility vehicles and a light-armored vehicle (LAV) come ashore as three landing craft, air cushion vehicles approach and an AH-1W Super Cobra helicopter flies by during Exercise Bright Star 2009. The LCAC, LAV and Cobra are assigned to the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (22nd MEU) and is part of an 11-country coalition participating in the biannual event spearheaded by Egypt and the U.S. Central Command. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Lindsey M. Frazier/Released)

ALEXANDRIA, Egypt (Oct. 12, 2009) Marines and Sailors assigned to the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (22nd MEU), the Bataan Amphibious Ready Group and coalition forces conduct an amphibious landing demonstration at Egyptian beaches near Alexandria during Exercise Bright Star 2009. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Theodore W. Ritchie/Released)

ALEXANDRIA, Egypt (Oct. 12, 2009) Marines and Sailors assigned to the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (22nd MEU), the Bataan Amphibious Ready Group and coalition forces conduct an amphibious landing demonstration at Egyptian beaches near Alexandria during Exercise Bright Star 2009. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Theodore W. Ritchie/Released)
"If I advance, follow me. If I stop, urge me on. If I retreat, kill me."

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #102 on: 16-10-2009, 01:10:26 »

A column of 45 Royal Marine Commandoes march towards Port Stanley. Royal Marine Peter Robinson, carrying the Union Jack flag on his backpack as identification, brings up the rear.

This photograph, taken in black and white and colour, became one of the iconographic images of the Falklands Conflict.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 16-10-2009, 04:10:11 »
"Gente" Magazine Cover.

Completly "Photoshopped". Shows a British Ship in Flames, and a Mirage III (?) flying over it.

Yellow title says "We are winning!" It was a lie, by that time, the British army had a strong army in the Falklands.

Also says : 6 Destroyed Ships, 16 Damaged, 21 Airplanes and 16 Helicopters shot down. We are destroying the British Navy.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #104 on: 16-10-2009, 09:10:10 »

- Burial of an Italian Soldier. A picture says more then...