Author Topic: FH2 Player's Guide  (Read 8524 times)

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
FH2 Player's Guide
« on: 04-11-2012, 08:11:08 »
Alright, let's get straight down to business: this idea has been bouncing around in my mind ever since I read about the influx of noobs that 64+ play was expected to bring to the mod. Since in the last few days I've come to the unavoidable conclusion that the day I die, my gravestone has a good chance to have "[teamkilled by]" carved into it somewhere, I can safely say we do indeed seem to have filled up the bus admirably and there are more players FH2in' publicly than I can remember for quite a while, so now seems like the right time to make this thread.

I would like to hear from YOU, the FH2 community, on whether or not you think this is a good idea. Would it be possible for us to, over the course of the next couple months, create a PDF or something similar, that would act as a sort of strategy guide to FH2? Not like a booklet that comes with a video game, but more like one of those Prima magazines we all loved, chock full of tips and tricks, lists and lessons, and so on. The way I picture it, it would be a file available to download from the forums and the FH2 site, and if it was good enough, maybe even included with the download of FH2 patches and new version as well, in the future.

It would feature endless content, how-tos, guides, tips and all the rest of it, contributed and written by experienced FH2 players like many of the ones who post here. Screenshots and illustrations (i.e. how to effectively use your iron sights, screenies comparing different uses of camouflage for vehicles, etc.). Tables and charts and all that nerdy stuff as well, covering things like ammo types and tank armor. It would teach you how to play, discuss tactics and theory, go over the basics of weaponry and cover fire and camouflage and all the rest of it. A section covering etiquette and how to be an asset to your team each and every time you play. It would introduce new players to every last drop of fun to be had in FH2, and (hopefully) go some way towards improving the experience and cutting out a bit of the learning curve, while at the same time still being a useful read for older players. Indeed, a guide like this would be so useful and valuable that you couldn't not learn something new each time you read it. In short, I want to help create the kind of guide I wish that I had been able to read when I first downloaded FH2.

So what say you? I'm picturing this idea as something everyone could pitch in a little bit here and there, and the end result being Forgotten Hope's version of The Art of War. Perhaps I've just massively embarrassed myself and there already is something like this that I don't know about, but if there is, I don't care how good it is - I'd like to contribute to making an FH2 guide to end all guides. So I made this thread for all of us to shoot the breeze over whether or not this is an idea worth pursuing.

Thoughts?
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: FH2 Player's Guide
« Reply #1 on: 04-11-2012, 09:11:09 »
Pro Tip #22
Did you know that pitch forks contains this weapon? It is called "the angry farmer" kit.

Planes
Slow down your plane before bailing out! The canopy will automatically open when lowering your speed.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-11-2012, 09:11:37 »
So you say this "booklet" will be distributed in every FH2 download, like "readme"  things?

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-11-2012, 14:11:38 »
I'm thinking about creating video tutorials for FH2 but as of now I lack the time... Maybe I'll make it for xmas.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-11-2012, 14:11:04 »
I'm pretty sure some kind of manual existed way back, and it might still exist on some sites, as shown here:

http://www.bf-games.net/download/2307/forgotten_hope_2_handbuch.html

Also djinn was working on his own version, but I think he never got to finishing it... Maybe try PMing him?

Good luck with this, and hopefully people will find something to contribute...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
  • Resident Crazy Composer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-11-2012, 15:11:38 »
Is Gold Rush still in the game? or was that a joke in the manual?
I do bad things to the BF2 engine.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-11-2012, 16:11:02 »
Is Gold Rush still in the game? or was that a joke in the manual?

Nope, I cant find it where it used to be. Or maybe they moved it to somewhere else?

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04-11-2012, 16:11:19 »
Gold Rush used to be a gamemode, it hasnt been in the mod since 2.1 or 2.15 or so.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04-11-2012, 16:11:57 »
I tought we were talking about the gold nugget kit? Well, what was that gamemode like?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04-11-2012, 16:11:50 »
crashy

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04-11-2012, 16:11:59 »
You stole the gold of the opposing team and brought it back to your base. Basically it was capture the flag with gold bullions.

Shame it wasnt working that much, it caused a lot of crashes. It was helluva fun thought. I would love to have some maps with big cities such as Olympus, Brest, Port-en-Bessin, Goodwood and for example Vossenack with this game mode. Civilian cars as only vehicles available, unlimited pistol / revolver kits for everyone, some limited shotgun and Tommy Gun kits. Mafia wars!
« Last Edit: 04-11-2012, 16:11:48 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04-11-2012, 17:11:01 »
Man, sounds awesome. A shame it doesnt exist anymore  :-[

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04-11-2012, 17:11:10 »
A manual would be cool. Would it come in languages other then English?

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04-11-2012, 17:11:06 »
I think more people just need a better understanding of basic platoon and squad sized tactics to be more effective in any game.

Offline TimeMachineAssassin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04-11-2012, 22:11:45 »
Can there be something like wiki, where anybody could add, edit, update. I dont know what it involves to get one of those going. Id like to know about the underlying mechanics of the game, tables and things. Because there is rock, paper, scissors dynamic going on, that information needs to be available without 50 years fh2 experience. I use gameFAQs alot, they got a cool thing going on over there.