Author Topic: Arma 3  (Read 5459 times)

Offline Turkletoon

• View Profile
Arma 3
« on: 28-05-2012, 00:05:44 »
I know there's some Arma players here. So I was quit surprises when there was no topic on Arma 3.
I had totally missed that there was a third game coming out. What I have seen looks amazing.

The light in the game looks awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIwfS8uJJIk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEITUGo-AOE&feature=related

I never really played Arma 2, only the Demo, but I'm thinking about giving this one a try

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
Re: Arma 3
« Reply #1 on: 28-05-2012, 01:05:44 »
Im surprised there wasnt about this before.

As a fairly long-standing Arma player, this is a no-brainer for me. The simple fact that you can mod your firearm on the fly instead of having to choose only one from the armoury instantly sold it for me back at Gamescon.
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28-05-2012, 01:05:58 »
Arma 3 ? I like, my computer doesnt.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28-05-2012, 02:05:38 »
My computer can barely run ArmA2, like its going to run the third game.  ;D

Looks good thought.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28-05-2012, 04:05:23 »
My computer can barely run ArmA2, like its going to run the third game.  ;D

Looks good thought.

delete hibernation.exe, turn up the sauna unit, and apply some perkele. Ought to make it right

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-05-2012, 13:05:28 »
It never really changed from Flashpoint. The engine has been pretty, the scale impressive and immense, fine sounds, but alpha in performance and gameplay. It just looks 'realistic' and 'IRL pace' because people have to press a boatload of keys to perform the simplest of actions.

Shall we talk buildings and interiors? Let's not. While you press more and more keys, getting farther and farther from your goal in the meantime, lost in communication screens you'll never, ever use, during these tense (!) moments, you get killed by a rusty, binoc-shooting AK47 at 15 kilometers.

It's a superb holiday sim though. Forests look awesome (they always did actually, as I'm sure they were an inspiration to Hurtgen Forest). Scuba diving looks awesome too. A good game? Not so much. It never really takes off, whether it's called Flashpoint or ArmA 5.
« Last Edit: 29-05-2012, 13:05:20 by Gezoes »

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-05-2012, 23:05:21 »
It just looks 'realistic' and 'IRL pace' because people have to press a boatload of keys to perform the simplest of actions.

While you press more and more keys, getting farther and farther from your goal in the meantime, lost in communication screens you'll never, ever use, during these tense (!) moments, you get killed by a rusty, binoc-shooting AK47 at 15 kilometers.

Actually ArmA got no features that allow communication between players at all, except the chat and Voip. Enemies are highlighted automatically. But if you try to give orders to player controlled squadmembers using the ingame communications you are really lost though.

The ingame communications are better to use with bots. It just doesn't help when you command your bots when they are under fire already. You need the right setup before you encourage the enemy. And you can only find out which settings are useful when you toyed alot with both singleplayer and the editor.

Basically you need to give the bots a low security stance that sets the bots on alert. On alert they will discover enemies more early, while moving slower and taking better cover. If they have been ordered to fire at will, everything will be fine then. An AT soldier, for example, will choose the right weapon and aim well at enemy vehicles then. No need to give more precise orders. That will only ruin the flow of the scripts the bot is using automatically.

Many people don't know about this, having a hard time playing the game both in singleplayer and multiplayer.

Edit:// And , well, the new lighting is rather bugfixing than anything else. Was about time they fixed that. But that doesn't change the fact that the graphics engine is horribly outdated.
« Last Edit: 29-05-2012, 23:05:26 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-06-2012, 09:06:55 »
I also have the same views about ARMA with Gezoes.

ARMA is another realistic-wannabe, simulator-wannabe games. But it is alright, because I love Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis that much. They of course, is still a game fundamentally. They still have the fun factor, but slightly decreased, trading it off for more realism.

It is essentially a DICE's Battlefield game series with enhanced realism and depth. But it would never in any means, with even the badass-est MOD in the universe will replace full in-depth combat sim like T-72 or DCS series. It is funny when ARMA pilots dissed Youtube videos of other game (e.g. BF3) pilots claiming to be "Aces" (other than in-game achievement). This game is not for dick-sizing each other, is it not?

ARMA2 lags like hell, and the soundtrack is pretty much unfitting. The graphic boost over the previous series are just there to lift the ego of realism-hardcore gamers over regular FPS dudes.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-09-2012, 17:09:46 »
The idea behind the game is impressive but you have got to hate the controlability: You try to coordinate things with mouse and keyboard your brain would automatically solve why you do something else. It may be hard to hit a target from stance but you would never swing your weapon around the target because "your arms have a momentum". This is the main problem I see in this game. Besides the AI is not that good but I wouldn't care if it weren't for the first problem (ArmA I: The mission where you have to snipe the General in his house in the mountains. 4 DSHKs on the roof. As soon as you kill him a Hokum(?) takes off and tries to find and kill you. In my case it took off and crashed into a mountain instantly :P )
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11-09-2012, 17:09:45 »
I like ArmA 2, but its multiplayer needed a little work, and bigger community.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-09-2012, 02:09:49 »
Besides the AI is not that good but I wouldn't care if it weren't for the first problem (ArmA I: The mission where you have to snipe the General in his house in the mountains. 4 DSHKs on the roof. As soon as you kill him a Hokum(?) takes off and tries to find and kill you. In my case it took off and crashed into a mountain instantly :P )

When the Computer is stressed or under heavy load, the Arma engine neglects the bot AI. If you deliberately cause stuttering and fps drops, you can watch the AI getting totally lost. The bots freeze and just do nothing, like no AI scripts are processed at all.
If this happens to a bot in mid air, he'll be unable to re-adjust his heading in time and he'll crash then.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-09-2012, 14:09:39 »
Oh, I did not know this. This happened on my old laptop. It all makes sense now.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline mopskind

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-09-2012, 14:09:22 »
Some Days ago some developers of ArmA 3 were arrested while doing research for the game on Lemnos, on which the island in the game is based on. They are now facing a 20 year sentence for espionage