Author Topic: Unknown Soldier?  (Read 6443 times)

Offline Turkletoon

• View Profile
Unknown Soldier?
« on: 18-06-2009, 12:06:00 »
I guess every one have seen this soldier before and wondered how he is, I know I have

I have been doing some detective work on him and found this site:
http://www.notmytribe.com/2007/unknown-soldier-81700.html

The story teller writes about his half-brother that joined the German army and was killed at the Russian front. He also takes up the question about the man in the pic, who he was.
here's a quote from one off the comments posted on the site:
Got some more on him: “This man was in Kampfgruppe Hansen of the 2nd Company, I./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt 1. His name is Walter Armbrusch, and he possesed the rank of SS-Schütze as an MG-42 gunner. Here he is seen after a successful attack on an Allied reconnaisance convy, with gear obtained from it. The picture is taken during the early days the Battle of the Bulge.”. See [33], where there are a few more pictures of him. Maybe you can find more info in the book by Paul Pallud, The Battle of the Bulge, 1986; ISBN 0-90091-340-1, where he even features on the title. Lupo 09:10, 7 October 2005 (UTC)

Those any one know if there is any truth in this and or you have some more information about this soldier?

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Soldier?
« Reply #1 on: 18-06-2009, 12:06:54 »
I thought you meant the book / movie / movie remake

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #2 on: 18-06-2009, 12:06:28 »
Theres another picture of him in the PotD thread.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Turkletoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-06-2009, 13:06:25 »
yea a noticed them, that's how a got interested in him. they write on the site that this maybe is a still frame from a movie clip, that may explain the other photo though it can be from the same clip

Offline Zero

• Developer
  • ALL AMERICAN ZERO
    • View Profile
    • Hi-Fi Classic Music
« Reply #4 on: 18-06-2009, 15:06:59 »
i think this question gets asked on every serious wwii website, eventually

from what i remember offhand: photo taken at poteau, battle of ardennes. and i think there is footage of him in the "world at war" documentary series.
just a quick google image search of "poteau" got these.

maybe that'll help lead you in the right direction.

interesting side note.... whoever these guys are, they were scavenging us equipment
« Last Edit: 18-06-2009, 15:06:34 by Zero »

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18-06-2009, 16:06:45 »
Afaik, he's not from hansen Kampfgruppe because the journalist did a kind of reenactment movie of the ambush after the Kampfgruppe leave the place.
You can see that there is also luftwaffe soldier, perhaps from the 18 VGD

So reserve troops of the hansen Kampfgruppe or an other unit attacking in the region perhaps
« Last Edit: 18-06-2009, 16:06:44 by Seth_Soldier »

Offline [WDW]Megaraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18-06-2009, 17:06:43 »
IIRC the picture was part of a series taken after an ambush of an American convoy during the opening stages of the battle.

Another famous pic of 2 Germans passing a burning M3 Halftrack is from the same series.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #7 on: 18-06-2009, 17:06:32 »
yeah his image is part of the titles for World at war, although I do not recall anywhere in the series the film footage that you are referring to, I am still inclined to go watch the entire series again to find out more...

to the DVD shelf post haste,... I sir Digby Chicken Ceaser will find your missing german!
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Zero

• Developer
  • ALL AMERICAN ZERO
    • View Profile
    • Hi-Fi Classic Music
« Reply #8 on: 19-06-2009, 17:06:28 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z23Nzqm7_5A 7:15

another thing i noticed after watching the clip just before that point.... those fat cigarettes in the pics and clips are american plunder as well ;) just funny how the "prototypical waffen soldier" has a us colt, poncho and smoke heh

another clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJSoOWvIQ9g
« Last Edit: 19-06-2009, 17:06:47 by Zero »

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19-06-2009, 22:06:21 »
This is just me, but when I see the story of this boy, my presumptions in general are fulfilled again. I see strong correlations between wasted childhoods, sadism and masochism on the one side and inhuman actions as such of the nazis on the other. The latter is based on the first ones, together with the lack and oppression of self-reflection and self-fulfillment. I really wonder how many fascists today are in fact misguided sadists.
« Last Edit: 19-06-2009, 22:06:35 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #10 on: 29-06-2009, 16:06:11 »
this guy should have his special pickup kit in FH2.. no diffirent from a normal kit except the player has MG belt around his neck and that huge cigarette in his mouth.. :D

Offline TkNLandser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-06-2009, 17:06:31 »
Any1 knw if he survived the war or something?
Looks like their division did some serious damage to the US. But ye, if we get the normandy patch, the soldiers should look like those guys. Dirty uniforms with alil camo and ammo.

Offline GirlsHateMe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-07-2009, 16:07:50 »
I wonder if that guy ever survived to find out he was so famous from that picture you see it everywhere.

Maybe the FH devs could include him as another separate skin for the MG class complete with the trademark modified US raincoat and the Belgium Hi-Browning pistol (even the combat dagger located on his right chest as well) for the sidearm if they happen to do a "Poteau Ambush" map as a tribute to the man himself  :)  

« Last Edit: 02-07-2009, 16:07:20 by GirlsHateMe »

Offline Turkletoon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02-07-2009, 17:07:28 »
holy shit, he got to be a model as well  :P
Yea your right, he really is famous. It would actually be kinda fun if they could implement him as an Mg gunner in the game.

I wonder why he was the one that got so famous over all the other people in the same clips. 

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02-07-2009, 17:07:27 »
OMG a model of him cause he is famous? crap

He is only a Soldier like all the others and he fight like all others and died like them.
« Last Edit: 02-07-2009, 17:07:01 by Krätzer »