Author Topic: Battlefield 4  (Read 20931 times)

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 4
« Reply #30 on: 06-11-2012, 18:11:16 »
Winning does matter, otherwise why would it (along with losing) be an option?
If it was useless, then we could have a draw at the end of each round, wouldn't that be fun.  8)

Are you trying to say that people don't like winning? Hell I like winning, when I play BF I want to win that damn round, capture the flags and kick the living shit out of everyone trying to recap them.

Why? Because it's fun, much more than losing.
"Oh look we lost, it's so cool!" LOL

Winning or losing gives an "end" to each round. Even though it's more psychological than actually worth something (Oh wait, more exp per round to get a new virtual rank woohoo).

If I wanted to play a shooting game and didn't want to win or lose...I could play one of those "endless waves of pedobears incoming and you have to shoot them" games  8)

« Last Edit: 06-11-2012, 18:11:05 by PanzerKnacker »
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06-11-2012, 18:11:43 »
oh I thought we discussed more from the game's point of view, not from individual players point of view  8)
From the game's point of view, it's more important that everyone has a good time, than that a few individuals can feel personal achievement for having been "best"

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06-11-2012, 18:11:18 »
Not really, I meant the winning half (of the population on a server) being better, not best.

It is only normal for a human to feel better when winning than when losing.

Yeah, kind of missed the point. Carry on.
« Last Edit: 06-11-2012, 19:11:26 by PanzerKnacker »
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06-11-2012, 22:11:53 »
original Battlefield series wih semi serious gameplay close to BF42 and BF2 w
lol, BF2 and bf42 were "serious" games? dont know if didnt play or if memory clouded by nostalgic romantisicm  ;D
also; BF3 is the most original  BFgame to date. Some people confuse this whole "real" aspect. They belive that "real" BF fans only liked bf42 and perhaps BF2

Want me to let you in on a lil' secret? Real battlefield fans play all BF titles... that's kind of the definition of being a fan. They played BC1, Bf1943, BF Heroes, BFP4F, BC2, BF3, BF2142 and they all loved it. Those are the fans. The Battlefield players community.

1. I said SEMI serious. At least they had regular armies with faction locked weapons (except the retarded unlocks on BF2, albeit okey, since it was few weapons) with horseshit accuracy on auto fire. The goal of those games was freaking winning the round, not leveling up a super soldier to get a new shiny gun that you can spray 'n pray even more.

2. How original is BF3? Only two armies! Original to cut down. Lots of weapons! Wow never seen in a game before. *cough* cod. No more commander! Yay No real squad leader to give orders! Yeah, fuck that. Chaos and individualism. Everyone spawn on everyone! BC did it, and it is fucked up. Destruction wow, BC did itSingleplayer Bringing that to a BF game is like giving humans a tail. Just stupid and horribly bad. BC did it Cut down the classes. Yeah, we don't need them!  Change your characters camouflage OH YEAH HUGE IMPROVEMENT VERY ORIGINAL. DEFINITELY THE MOST ORIGINAL IN THIS GAME. HURR BATTLELOGG DURR wow.

Every improvement that Battlefield 2 did, they either removed or made awfully simple. 

3. About the fan thing. Wow. You are really good to rustle my jimmies. Please, tell it to my face that BF Heroes was a good game, and not a utter total disgrace to what Battlefield was and stood for. And not just a way to take money from 9 year old boys. And I have BF 1942 with all xpacks, BF2 with expack, BF 2142, BF BC, BF BC 2 and BF3. I have played BF:H and BF F2P. I don't like BC 1, BC 2, BF 3, BF:H and BF F2P. I fucking love BF 42, 2 and 2142 and if they would have become a girl, I would have made love to them allday erryday. Would you say one who absolutely loves the original Episodes of Star Wars and not the new episodes is not a Star Wars fan?

I am about to explode whenever I look in these threads. BRB, need to unrustle my jimmies.
« Last Edit: 06-11-2012, 22:11:35 by Hjaldrgud »

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06-11-2012, 23:11:00 »
1. I said SEMI serious. At least they had regular armies with faction locked weapons (except the retarded unlocks on BF2, albeit okey, since it was few weapons) with horseshit accuracy on auto fire. The goal of those games was freaking winning the round, not leveling up a super soldier to get a new shiny gun that you can spray 'n pray even more.

Yea, and those goals are still there, except they added more goals as well  8) such is the beauty of evolution within design; you can add layers on top of the core to make it more interesting.

BF3 is a way deeper and more interesting game than BF2 and Bf1942 was.

2. How original is BF3? Only two armies! Original to cut down. Lots of weapons! Wow never seen in a game before. *cough* cod. No more commander! Yay  etc etc

Hard to make out what you wanted to say with point 2, except highlighting some of the things which made both BC2 and BF3 to be far superior to BF2 in terms of game play. Spawning on all members fo a squad and destructability being just some of them  8)

3. About the fan thing. Wow. You are really good to rustle my jimmies. Please, tell it to my face that BF Heroes was a good game, and not a utter total disgrace to what Battlefield was and stood for.

Sure, BF Heroes is a fantastic fun and awesome game :) as you can see I've played 1,296 matches (over 150 hours played), so I think I know what I'm talking about here.
http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/player/2277876839
It ranks in the top#5 of all BF games easily, actually it ranks in the top#10 of all online shooter games when it comes to looking just at the raw and simple gameplay fun it provides. Way more fun than for example TF2.
To its advantage, it doesn't attempt to deliver much more than that either, which many many other shooter games have tried to, and failed horribly.

My top#5 BF games:
1. Battlefield 3
2. Battlefield 1942
3. Battlefield Play4Free
4. Battlefield Vietnam
5. Battlefield Heroes

I think 2142 would have been on the list, but in 2007 my PC was crappy, and I played too much FH1 at the time to have a chance to really get in to 2142. Then when I built a new PC in 2009, it was too late to get in to 2142 I felt. I had L4D and FH2 and some other games by then, but looking objectively at the design, 2142 is among the best games DICE have done
« Last Edit: 06-11-2012, 23:11:48 by Natty »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06-11-2012, 23:11:48 »
If you ever play BF2142, i can assure you that 2142 would be on top of that "list".

And where is BF2 on that list? Sure it was kinda spammy and all you want, but it was a top game for it's time.

0utlaw

« Reply #36 on: 07-11-2012, 00:11:46 »
other than graphics, sound, and destructible envos... bf3 is garbage compared to bf42/bf2
even the pr mod is better

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07-11-2012, 01:11:26 »

RANDOM COMMENT

So... um, are there any plans for Bad Company 3?
Not that Battlefield 4 doesn't sound nice and all... 
You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07-11-2012, 03:11:53 »
Female characters?

Commander function?

CHINA?

okay, count me in
must be EA propaganda

I don't believe a word it says, and yet my hopes are soaring like a rocket ship. No no, soaring like a shooting star. Hmmm, not sure there's a simile for that.

Count me in anyway!

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07-11-2012, 04:11:06 »
I want ships in BF4! Ships are fun... Elite squads can be flattened with a single 402 mm shell oh wait, if this is modern settings, I want Tommahawk Cruise Missiles!! Steerable smart missiles! Die elitists! Bwahahahahaha!!!!

Natty, you argument is contradicting. If you design games for people not to win, why the hell there is a bonus, a stat increase (and even recorded), and a congratulating GUI for players? Are you simply out of words or what? The best thing to do is not to reply. And if you know trolls, as you live in Nordic countries, and you feel that you are facing one, you know the old saying "don't feed the trollz! LOL!"

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07-11-2012, 08:11:53 »
why the hell there is a bonus, a stat increase (and even recorded), and a congratulating GUI for players?
because players want positive reinforcement and feedback on their actions :)
Didnt I clear up the point about winning already?... for the game to work, it doesnt matter if "you" win or lose, the game needs to make sure everyone has fun, and not only cater to the "best" players. I did an analogy about sunday football there, I also explained the clan thing.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07-11-2012, 10:11:08 »
because players want positive reinforcement and feedback on their actions :)

Which players? COD players?

Battlefield players were perfectly fine for years with no flashy signs saying "CONGRATZ HEADSHOT YOU SO L33T!". I'm not sure if there's a way to disable those annoying and distracting "notifications" but I bet if there was many people would use it...

Sure it's cool for the first few rounds but when you concentrate on doing something it just gets annoying seeing something pop up on your HUD all the time...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07-11-2012, 11:11:12 »
You gave the winning team more bonus, it matters who wins or loses. Gamers want unlocks. Fun or not, that depends on every individual gamers. Every gamer seek fun in different way. But the way game designer reward certain actions really influences how games are being percieved.

There is a competitive game and collaborative game by design. FPS is more like competitive game.

We are advised by doctors to avoid competitive game while relaxing. So don't do sports activity, instead, do a crossword puzzle, sudoku, quizzes, word puzzle, drawing, playing music, building sand castle/snowman, that are not competitive but fun because it is rewarding

In a competitive game, you are, by design, encouraged to win the game. There has to be losers and winners there. You are shooting bullets, and it has to go somewhere, and it has to hit something. It kills other players, so they are the losers.

Battlefield series advances it into another level, not just a mere FPS MP game. In BF you can: compete individually (statwhoring k-d ratio, collecting kills with certain tools, spawn-raping), teamwork-based (squad/clan stats, or winning the map), even role-playing to some effect (be a good but passive/non-killing frenzy engineer/medic). But they all depend on how you design the game.

What the trolls are seeing here:
BF games now empowers individual too much with many bonus/unlocks/perks and all that enhancements derived from playing stats.
- We love it! It gives you more sense of accomplishment by playing it with your style. You'll feel like: this game is for me (knifers), I pwn thizz (snipers), I luv it (demolition men), etc... because you give rewards and achievements for every style of play.

BF games now simplifies many of the gameplay aspects such as removing commander function, leader of a squad, several call-in support, and they greatly reduce the number of available classes (even combines them, albiet uncreatively).
- We absolutely hate it! Feels like dumbed down handheld games. There are reasons why consoles only have less than 20 buttons on the gamepad and PC has 100-something keys to press.

More contents sold as separate packs. It is arguably more expensive to get full experience of the game. While the game as a whole lacks variety, but the level of detail in individual maps makes it arguably worth the extra cost. Now we see more eyecandies than before, like posters, dirts, garbages, flower pots, and all the knick knacks not seen in BF1942.
- We are mixed about it. Some love the graphic/sound/enviro enhancements, we appreciate that it takes much more effort to develop the same map style with current day standard. But some just see it as "mandatory" as PC gets bigger, and GPUs consumes more electricity than before. They think that: if we see hundreds of variety of low res textured boxy models before, we should at least get the same amount of HD textured high poly, high LOD models too now!

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07-11-2012, 14:11:39 »
I like unlocks... just, make them faction based. I don't want to see American soldiers running around with AK47s nor Russians with M4s or M16.

BF3 went "too far" with some vehicle unlocks (coax LMG for tanks, flares for helicopters and planes). Those are something that should be in from the start. I hope they are more wise with BF4.

And as a female player, I find the rumour of female soldiers being in bf4 great. :)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07-11-2012, 14:11:37 »
Yea, more sensible unlocks. ERA and APS or tanks, extra ordnance attachments for helos.