Author Topic: Total War games  (Read 71496 times)

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
Re: Total War games
« Reply #930 on: 15-02-2014, 22:02:20 »
From what I've read about them, Radious is for better 'vanilla' gameplay while Divide et Impera also brings in some realism (unit sizes etc). Both are apparently great.

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: 16-02-2014, 10:02:34 »
I suppose I'll start with Radious and then try Divide et Impera after a few campaigns.

And ajappat, who else am I gonna blame? Myself? Thats not happening. ;)

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: 16-02-2014, 16:02:41 »
Use the GEM mod and aztec's lightings as well. They add some much needed AA ingame. Radious mod is great for causing real historians like VM and armchair historians like me to berzerk. It has the Ninja Orcs from 300 for the persians. :P

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 26-09-2014, 10:09:16 by th_battleaxe »
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: 28-09-2014, 03:09:34 »
Just bought NTW in the steam sale, anyone up for some multiplayer?

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: 01-10-2014, 03:10:17 »
So CA want to go the route of DICE with rome 2.1 (atilla). (They did ot with Napoleon also). Fudge them.

Also, what the hell is "emperor edition"?! Can someone enlighten me?

Bought Fall of the Samurai. Quite fun actually. Shame the battles last 5min due to EXTREMELY effective weaponry. Any mod that makes the battles longer? Diplo AI is remotely intelligent, something I also like. Earlier installments had AI that made vegetables look like Einstein.

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: 01-10-2014, 11:10:25 »
Emperor edition contains all the Free-LC and patches, as well as the new Imperator Augustus campaign.

Basically not a lot more than the previous version. Still doesn't contain all the DLC.
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: 01-10-2014, 19:10:10 »
Also, what the hell is "emperor edition"?! Can someone enlighten me?

If I understood right it's a big patch that fixes/smoothes a lot of things.

It's called the Emperor Edition because it comes with a new campaign, that starts around 50 BC and focusses on the downfall of the Roman Republic. There are 4 Roman factions, which will ultimately fight a civil war, the winner becoming the first emperor of the new Roman Empire. Except these new factions, different starting positions and a new time setting (50BC start with 4 turns a season) however it's just the same campaign map as vanilla and it doesn't add anything else afaik.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: 01-10-2014, 22:10:20 »
So Rome 2 is finally out of beta? Neat. Maybe a purchase if there's a 75 % some day.

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: 02-10-2014, 15:10:06 »
It's pretty fun.  I use the Divide et Impera mod which I like a lot. Never tried radious.

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: 28-06-2015, 11:06:20 »
So, I decided to give Rome II a try with the Total War free weekend and I have to say that it's god awful. I turned off the game after like an hour.

The first thing that pops up as you turn on the game is the massive DLC shoving. Half the options in the main menu are locked with a little "would you like to give us some more money"-button. The game's graphic setting were set to ultra as default and the game still looked like shit. The texture quality felt like it was worse than in Medieval 2. And even then the game lagged like hell.

The game still has the same AI issues that every Total War game has. Units get stuck all the time, especially in cities. When engaging in a melee your units just go towards the enemy in a single file and the best way to make your units properly attack is to tell them to run through the enemy (which obviously causes you to take more casualties because your guys aren't actually fighting). When charging towards the enemies your units tend to clip and slide among the enemy ranks. In addition, trying to keep any coherent formation is pretty much impossible and it feels like you constantly have to be reminding your units what formation to use after every move order. This is probably why Empire Total War is my favourite, as the formations are much easier to hold and most of the fighting is done at range.

I do appreciate some of the finer details in visuals like arrows sticking in soldiers and shields but overall Rome II feels like a really rushed and broken project. I didn't try Attila at all, so I don't know if they made any improvements in the newest game.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: 28-06-2015, 16:06:08 »
 Attila is everything Rome II was not.

;)

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: 28-06-2015, 19:06:11 »
Yeah Atilla is like Fall of the Samurai, it fixes a lot of the stuff that wasn't properly included in the main game. It's much more polished.

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: 09-07-2015, 17:07:52 »
Anyone here who wants a key for the Arena Total War alpha test? I got three spare ones. Send a PM.