Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 180533 times)

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #270 on: 08-12-2009, 10:12:19 »
The Red Baron.

TBH I expected more, perhaps it's my misanthropist mood but it was yet another shit film that I wasted money on, yet another half-baked script that I wasted hours of my life enduring.
Not even Lena Headey (schwing) could save it.

The storyline is far too boyish, far to much about the romantic side of flying planes with your flying scarf set to maximum effect, and glorifying the mediocre dogfight scenes by (wtf) landing next to each other after the fight both speaking the same fucking language (English) and not once trying to punch each other in the face for them trying to kill you just a few minutes previous... I would have liked to have seen much much more grit, by that - yes I do mean like SPR, one thing that film got right was *bang* in your perifial vision, pogo sticking on your face spilling your drink.

Red Baron fails, shot in high contrast making the sunlight ethereal is not a necessary component of war film even if sunlight was a major tool used by the first airmen.

4/10

p.s. Joseph Finnes is a ****ing stupid ***t!  He is British, he speaks with a British accent ffs will Americans stop hiring him to play Americans he plays exactly the same person in each film, it's like watching a ventriloquist without a dummy, open your mouth ffs, speak bitch, we thought you 'done' Shakespeare.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 08-12-2009, 11:12:18 »
Tranfromers 2: Rise of the fallen
      I just realized not every good moive requires depth or even some semblance of realism - The movie the rocked - Sure, i've gotten tired of movie-special effects bonanzas after Matrix 2 (you seen that, little else impresses) - But this one did something

Movies are all about emotion and pacing - Witty one-liners help. Soundtrack was excellent, sure it made use of many cliches, like the kiss of life, and the numerous misses advanced Decepticon technology made in trying to blast a simple teenager to smithereens... but hey, there was a fricking M1 Abraham flying down the fricking pyramid! What more could you ask for... Sometimes, I say, its just about digging in and enjoying the ride... Haven't had a 'ride' like this since Jumanji!

7.5/10

Taking of Pelham 123 remake
  John Travolta takes on a similar role to one he always plays, worn thin by the likes of Swordfish, Denzel Washington takes on a different role from his normal NYPD wise-cop act... But something between John Q and Steve Biko.

It was - meh... In the nineties, i would have been impressed by it, as the likes of Speed, Con air etc, but we've been so spoilt by special effects and strong storylines with serious soundtracks and good pacing, that this one just didn't add anything to my life - No liners I will remember, no characters that stood out too good, No climatic finish or memorable scenes, just an average good job with a few slow points

5/10

Not too recent, Max Payne

Terrible movie! As a fan of the video game, I must say it was possible the worst movie of the year! Worst part is, they actually got the right actor for the role, but with dismall acting, no catchy lines to match with the movie, not enough smart-cop, film-noir or narrration in Max's low, drawl voice, it just didn't do justice to the game... And with bullet-time which was either painfully slow, pointless or without any more effect than some 3d bullets and slow-mo effect, it really didn't quite capture

And with an actress that looked and dressed like something out of a B-movie, more guns than plot, no character-development, a terrible twist on the orignal excellent game plot, A 60-something year old BB, and Ludacris as Detective whathisface, I feel the movie did what Resident Evil the movies did for Resident Evil the game, turned it on its head and broke its neck... Only thing I could appreciate was the Valkyr twist, although that was not well described to give it its full effect either

And of all recent games, this was the one I was looking to as a movie :-(

2/10
« Last Edit: 08-12-2009, 11:12:41 by djinn »

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #272 on: 08-12-2009, 12:12:12 »
Haven't had a 'ride' like this since Jumanji!

Seriously.. -1rep

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 08-12-2009, 13:12:32 »
As a fan of Transformers series back from childhood, i must say, the second one (Rise of the Fallen) is closer to most of the episode plot of the G-1 cartoon back then. A lot of plot holes, scenes jump from here to there without clear cohesion, and convenient plot devices inserted at random. Eventually the good guys win, period. But you got all the characters you love and you'll like it anyway. However, i must say, the first one is better as a movie than the second, which serves better for old-time die hard fans.

Entertainment-wise, the first Transformers movie is better IMO, it has more coherent plot, more believable storyline, more in-depth character introduction, anything that makes the movie more suitable for wider audience than the second.

Movies based on game  >:(

God i hate these kind of movies... almost every of them suck big time. Why do they ever want to make a movie from a silly button-mashing fighting games such as Street Fighters or Tekken? Try to make money from its die-hard fans? Just make sure it stays faithful and contains mind-friendly story, unlike The Legend of Chun-li. Oh not to mention Dead or Alive... that thing, if not because of the chics, would be very boring.
Resident evil is not bad at first IMO, but it gets lame pretty soon. Max Payne is a good try, but it doesn't live up to its big name as they made in gaming community. And one of the worst is Hitman... a promising title, a Hollywood friendly and convert-able game story line, but they make the agent 47 talk too much, too yappy, too happy, and too enthusiastic (he smiles OMG! Something you don't see in game).
I usually avoid game-based movies, and vice versa. Except for maybe, Star Wars games.

Biiviz

« Reply #274 on: 08-12-2009, 13:12:27 »

Seriously.. -1rep

Ooh! First minus rep anyone has had the balls to post yet. Way to step up von.small. ;D

/edit: I agree on the game-to-movie thing ZooMotorpool. Especially Max Payne. I mean the whole focus in the game is on the STORY, how the hell could they mess that up? Granted, the ones who've played the game would already know how it ends, but they could still have done better imo. >:(

And as far as Hitman goes... double sword fight between different hitmen? Letting people who've seen his face and know his identity live? Falling in love? Showing emotions? Being an orphan!? What the hell happened here?

The Doom movie was okay I guess. Doom never really was deep anyway. FFS in Doom 1 you could see the butthole of the brown monsters when they were dead. :) Cheap action was the whole point of the game.

Never saw the Far Cry movie, although I hear it's pretty bad with the exception of the main character, Til Schweiger, who I happed to like as well. He usually shows up in WW2 movies with the focus on the Germans IIRC.

There's also a Postal movie that I might've considered watching... until I saw it was directed by Uwe Boll. The worst director ever.
« Last Edit: 08-12-2009, 14:12:21 by Biiviz »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: 08-12-2009, 19:12:14 »
@ Von.small,

He-ey! That was so many years ago... Sure it wouildn't have the same effect now, but it was cool and fast-paced at the time for me...

About video game-movies

I'm sure I'd get a -ve rep for this, but I actually like Mortal Kombat, the first movie for a sec... Until I grew up and realized what a b-movie was

Usually, these movies forget the fact that following the dresscode of the game characters doesn't mean all sense of believable costumes goes out the window...

Heck, Comic-based movies are taking it up a notch, why the hell can't games...? I think plot-developers of such movies don't even bother to understand the game they are making

For instance,
Resident Evil has ALWAYS been about the survivors, not the zombies... its not a fricking zombie flick
Max Payne, its a Film-Noir, he's a modern adaptation of Bogart
Street Fighter, I wont even go there

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #276 on: 08-12-2009, 21:12:28 »
Most wtf in game - movie ports...

Offline [130.Pz]I.Kluge

• Better ask twice than lose yourself once.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 08-12-2009, 21:12:17 »
Most wtf in game - movie ports...

LuL Wut?

^Who the hell was this guys supposed to be?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: 08-12-2009, 23:12:49 »
Are you serious... Dennis Hopper acted in Mario?!!

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 09-12-2009, 07:12:29 »
Sure thing he played the badguy. :)
NostalgiaCritic had a nice review of Mario Bros. once. ^^
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 10-12-2009, 10:12:40 »
I'm so dissapointed in him - Even when I was kid, I was told it was a flop - First time I heard the word, I think

Biiviz

« Reply #281 on: 11-12-2009, 02:12:06 »
Just saw Rob Zombie's Halloween II. It was terrible. I was about to turn it off at least 3 times during the course of the movie and after watching through the whole thing (which was painful) I kinda wanted to kill myself just to remove the memory of ever watching that steaming pile of...

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 11-12-2009, 03:12:03 »

Seriously.. -1rep
I liked Jumanji....

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 11-12-2009, 04:12:52 »
I liked the Jumanji cartoon they showed weekday mornings. Good way to start a school skipping day.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 11-12-2009, 04:12:25 »
I liked the Jumanji cartoon they showed weekday mornings. Good way to start a school skipping day.
You are not the most positive role model