Author Topic: Looking for a new headset...  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
Looking for a new headset...
« on: 24-03-2011, 19:03:27 »
Hi guys, i am looking for some help with buying a new headset.
So far i always got myself some nice Medusa Headsets (had 3 of them in the last 7-8 years and was very happy with them) that have support for 5.1 surround sound and include a switching box for easy switching between headset and speaker output.

now i was going to buy the latest of the medusa headsets (medusa NX) but while trying it on in a store i noticed it is simply to small/tight for my head. so this one is out of the picture.

what i am looking for:

- durable headset, so no weak links etc.

- at least 2m cord

- that covers the ears -> shuts out outside noise see picture above, big headphones surrounding the ears, NOT resting on them.

- 5.1 sound in the headset would be nice but it NOT required

- NO USB soundcard included in the headset, i ve seen quite a few people using these and having all kinds of problems with specially older games.

- retractable, (re)movable etc microphone to be able to eat/drink with headset on

prices range up to 100€ but in that case it has to be really something special that makes that priece reasonable. so more aiming at 60€ ;)
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
Re: Looking for a new headset...
« Reply #1 on: 24-03-2011, 19:03:02 »
My main audio source is by Altec Lansing.  It's a speaker, and I'm not sure if they do headsets, but it works great, and has been for the past few years.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #2 on: 24-03-2011, 19:03:01 »
60 Euros? Get yourself a nice Sennheiser  :P

I got a Sennheiser PC 151, it's very nice.

- Durable, most certainly. Got it over half a year now, not even one thing seems to be weak or malfuctioning.

- The cord is very long, I attached it to my desk and don't want to mess up my construction, I think it's around 2m.

- You can't hear anyone else while wearing these, comfortable too. Never got any pains.

- No idea if it got 5.1  :P I don't think so, not listed on their website either.

- No idea what that is, I guess you mean one that works by USB. This one just got stereo jacks for sound and mic.

- You can move the mic all ways, I usually do it up when I'm not on Ventrilo/TS so I know what you mean.

With your price range you could even go for a 161.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline mopskind

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24-03-2011, 20:03:30 »
Sennheiser is definitely the way to go, i've been using one for years and it's awsum! nuff said
« Last Edit: 24-03-2011, 21:03:05 by mopskind »

Offline Capten_C

• Well well well well well well well
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: 24-03-2011, 21:03:53 »
Will give a shout for the  Creative Fatal1ty Pro Series Gaming Headset, had no problems with it in 2 years.
LEGENDARY FORGOTTEN HOPE 2 ROUNDS!!! >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtJF9fL1YI

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25-03-2011, 00:03:08 »
Don't go for the Logitech G35 it's been in a pain in the ass for 80 euro's. When it works it's great, comfortable, good quality casing and cables, when ... it ..works.. :(

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25-03-2011, 02:03:18 »
Will give a shout for the  Creative Fatal1ty Pro Series Gaming Headset, had no problems with it in 2 years.

I had one of those. Failed somewhere within the cables after a year. But good quality considering its price. Now I've got a Creative sigma. It claims durability but the cabling seems thin, so will find out in the long run. That's the shitty thing with most mainstream headphones, can't easily replace the cables if it breaks.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-03-2011, 13:03:26 »
i ve taken a clooser look at the sennheiser, but both the 151 and the 161 hace kind of small ear pieces so the headset will rest on the ears, pressing them against my head. i tried theses kind of headsets and after a few hours it starts to hurt, specially if you were glasses like me, it becomes ratehr uncomfortable quickly.

sennheiser 161

thats why i want something like the
sennheiser 350

where the earpieces surround the, ears and rest on the head instead of the ears, but the PC350 is rather pricey for ~130€
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Eglaerinion

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26-03-2011, 15:03:22 »
The wire from that headset curled and eventually broke after a few months. Got my money back and bought a sennheiser. It's nice you can disconnect the mic though.
"The wolves will come again."

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #9 on: 26-03-2011, 19:03:08 »
As I said before, these don't hurt. I never had any pain in my ears. I did with two headsets before I bought this Sennheiser, I had to put them off after an hour. I also where glasses sometimes (too lazy for lenses-day) and I just lift the feet up above the ear, so they don't get pressed into my head.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Bang0o

• FH-Betatester
  • I am Important!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26-03-2011, 19:03:49 »
got sennheiser pc151 too. it doesnt hurt at all. it is very comfy and light. good sound. very rugged. but lately, after 3 years i had to replace it by an pc161 because the mic sliding contact in the ear cup made a slack joint.