Author Topic: FH 2.46 First Impressions  (Read 5963 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
FH 2.46 First Impressions
« on: 12-04-2014, 08:04:16 »
Hi all, as it hasn't been taken up by the FH regulars, I figured this thread is a few hours overdue.

Would you believe I never ever got to play Omaha in beta test? Yup. So I was so lucky to play about half an hour of it yesterday.

Spawned right on the beach. Missed the 1st wave so didn't see the slaughter. Instead I got a taste of the turning tide with, small independent teams breaking out at various points.

It was EPIC! it takes a certain kind of genius to develop a map that can simulate Omaha without script.

As you can expect this map was deemed impossible once and for good reason. I am awestruck how the devs managed to pull it off and ai am glad to see it being done.

TS4Ever, your patient hand in this makes me proud of the maturity of the team i work with, and glad your involvement in this map finally made it a reality.

I am so looking to going back to see this on servers later today and excitedly waiting to play it in Singleplayer some day.

Note for following posts: leave whatever personal ish you have at the door. This thread is exclusively about the maps, and ingame experience playing them, not about Admins or Development policy. So I reserve the right of the Admins here to insta-delete any post that risks this thread becoming a battle of egos.

Offline GIJordncc1701d

• View Profile
Re: FH 2.46 First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 12-04-2014, 08:04:19 »
I haven't had much of a chance to get online, with work and school getting in the way, but I managed to play Gold Beach on singleplayer tonight. I have to say, that map is incredible. I have a feeling that online, Omaha will be the favorite, but I am in love with that map. It's actually difficult, but not impossible to capture bases. The AI is also really improved. I have to say, this update has really put the fun back in offline play for me. Hopefully this summer I will have more time to play online and give Omaha a shot.

Side note: I played around on Port-En-Bessin a bit and tried out the G41(W). Wonderful rifle. It adds so much to the game. The details are what I've always loved about FH2.

My one problem is, where the hell is the MP-34? I've been searching (as I like to play around with the new guns) and I can't find it. Anyone have any clues for me?

Fantastic update. Well, well worth the wait.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-04-2014, 09:04:47 »
It's the assault kit for Germans on Point du Hoc.

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-04-2014, 10:04:03 »
Allies need a big ticket boost. If the Germans manage to throw the allies from the Bunkers just once, it is GG for them.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-04-2014, 10:04:22 »
« Last Edit: 02-03-2019, 08:03:13 by nysä »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-04-2014, 11:04:24 »
@Tankbuster
Which map was this? Omaha?

@nysä
Unfortunately, an eventuality of so many AI fixes to numerous vehicle. Now comes the necessary bug-squashing, but these will be fixed. Meuse actually crashes less than it did in previous maps, I noted.

Offline Paythoss

• Sabaku no Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-04-2014, 11:04:26 »
Frankly speaking ... nice maps ( until allies don't learn how to play , German gonna be always winners ) and some other things ( Marder I dont flip now ) ... but ...
Still no hit detector  when you shot from SdKfz 7 flakvierling ; soft skinned vehicles still damaged when you ride , even on small obstacles .
I hope , next patches gonna be better and better ... I hope ...
For now , I cant say if that was , what I was waiting by 2 years ...

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-04-2014, 11:04:12 »
Frankly speaking ... nice maps ( until allies don't learn how to play , German gonna be always winners ) and some other things ( Marder I dont flip now ) ... but ...
Still no hit detector  when you shot from SdKfz 7 flakvierling ; soft skinned vehicles still damaged when you ride , even on small obstacles .
I hope , next patches gonna be better and better ... I hope ...
For now , I cant say if that was , what I was waiting by 2 years ...

Well, fortunately now with the launcher, the devs can patch out things more faster.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-04-2014, 12:04:38 »
I only managed to play for a few hours so my experience is limited. Omaha needs a bit of a ticket boost for Allies or the Germans need to spawn a bit more inland (that being said, I still haven't seen Allies find a viable tactic on the map, I suppose more use of the LCVP .30s to provide covering fire could help, but I was almost the only one using them yesterday... :-/ )

Gold seems more balanced, but Allies could do with a few more transports, as now they have a hard time retaking lost positions quickly, and lose the necessary momentum to push to the second part of the map.

The new commo-rose layout is nice, but I still haven't seen it getting significantly more used (apart from the arty spotting). Also, where are the anti-tank/air-support and other request options? (Delegated to SLs commo-rose? I haven't played as a SL a lot...)

The G41 is a bit too loud compared to the other guns in my opinion, but it could be that I'm just not used to its sound yet...

I did notice that (light-skinned) vehicles are now more easily damaged by rough ground, but I don't consider that a big deal. After all, the roads might get more usage now, as they usually provide a smooth ride.

Some guys were complaining about the airplanes being made of paper now, can't comment on that because I haven't used them yet.

Otherwise, all good! The release is reasonably polished, and the most pressing bugs (such as bikes and mobile guns) are finally fixed.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12-04-2014, 13:04:13 »
Omaha Beach:

Map with great potential. A few more tickets for llies and we will also get to see the later stages. As Allied you get somewhat raped of course, but this is the way it should be. I think I figured out ho to get the left and right flag rather easily already, matter of time until there is a routine and Allies will going for them a lot more effectively than currently. The whole setup of the trench system, bunkers, bushes seems to be perfect though. You can see the quality of an official map here. Very immersive and a lot of fun after all for both sides.

Gold Beach:

I loved this one. Seems like a nearly perfect map to me. Allies don't have too much of a hard time to get the first flags, but the challenge on the map is to hold these flags, they can't just rush forward, they need to defend them while others go for beachhead. After that it continues with a tricky defence at beachhead, while others need to move out for the objectives behind that concrete wall. It is interesting for Axis in the same way, as they can always keep the Allies back by capping their earlier flags, so there is always pressure kept up and no camping in the back of the map for the Axis team, as they actually have to be very active and aggressive. The Hedgerows are perfect, enough gaps to have a sneaky attack, big trees in it that provide great cover. The swamp area does not require you to swim or anything and fits perfectly in. And the obstacles and bushes on the map are very well placed in general. Typical Normandy gameplay brought to a very high level of quality in my opinion.

G41(W):

I like it. Not in the way that it is a good weapon, but the challenge for the developers was to cfreate a weapon that needed to be inferior to the already existing G43, without being useless. The high recoil, long reload time, and rather big inaccuracy represent the problems of the weapon quite well. Combatwise I would usually choose a K98 over a G41. Why? Because it's more accurate on long range. Even Koenig was stating in squadchat that he has problems to hit moving targets on longer ranges, so that should give you an idea. But it's fine to me. Probably need to get used it it a bit more. The high recoil does not let you spam accurate shots like you can with the M1 Garand or the G43 as well though. Anyway, when you control it, it is a decent weapon in close to medium ranges.

Mp 34

Did not get to play much with it. Sounds like an MP40, but it's rather accurate and a decent SMG. Nothing special I noticed so far

Other Notes
- The Springfield running animations are amazing.
- You changed something with the attack and defend markers, they seem to appear on the screen as symbols now more often, or even when you are looking to a slightly different direction
- Some said they noticed a more accurate turret movement of Sherman tanks for example. I was not too sure, but it can be that it is smoother now. Any info on that?
-Somehow some maps provided less fps problems than usual for me although the player numbers were really high up. Did you polish the maps for better fps?
- I generally feel that there are a good bunch of fixes you did not tell us about, that make the game higher quality after all.

Thank you! I think the game has become a lot better with this patch and there are more changes when yo look in the details. Also I rather have 2 quality maps like that, that are both very well done, than 5 maps of less quality. Keep going, I applaud you for this patch!
« Last Edit: 12-04-2014, 13:04:16 by Surfbird »

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12-04-2014, 13:04:59 »
I only played a few hours yesterday, but felt good so far. The g41 feels like handheld arty (probably due to its sound), which is good. I only played Gold two times and no Omaha so far, but all the small improvements on other maps, feel great. Regarding tanking, I have only tried two or three times. First impression it feels better now. Panther is a bigger danger again.

Regarding planes, it feels like the contrary. While the planes now go much easier down from heavy calibers (e.g. 1-2 direct Bofors hits and they are gone, or just a few german 20 mm rounds), they take less damage from 50 cal. Which feels somewhat right too me. While the american planes now have to count on their massive wall of lead their guns provide, the germans planes more need to focus on one good places 20 mm burst. Feels right in my opinion, as the angle doesn't count anymore. Flying on Cobra was fun.

Regarding tickets: I only played on the forgotten Honor server, but the tickets need to be doubled on every map. This is probably not a problem on the 762 server, as they have 200% tickets anyway I think.

Now I am waiting for things to settle. I am wondering, how long it will take, until the first guy shows up and complains about tanks for whatever reason, which will happen for sure.  ;D People are never satisfied.

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-04-2014, 13:04:01 »
-Somehow some maps provided less fps problems than usual for me although the player numbers were really high up. Did you polish the maps for better fps?

That's quite strange because for me and my friends the opinion about fps is completely different...

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-04-2014, 13:04:19 »
Except for Omaha beach 128p. I very much agree about the low fps there in some areas. But we played other, regular maps later on and it seemed somewhat smoother.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-04-2014, 13:04:34 »
I will try to explain a few things on previously mentioned point:

airplanes seems to be made out of paper because they don't have the anglemod anymore. Same goes for all soft targets like PaKs, jeeps, APC's etc. And that is also the reason why vehicles take more damage over rough terrain now. You won't see any funny looking bouncing shots on halftracks or jeeps anymore, but the fragility is a downside of it.

My first impressions were very good overall. The beach is the most important part on Omaha Beach and it really plays like that. Problems I could see is, that people need to get used to the shiparty much more before I can make final judgements and I personaly felt that there was too few smoke available or people simply didn't use it. A ticket boost for the allied team could be an option aswell and I think that Ts4ever allready mentioned something like that ingame. Overall it is an excellent map and it really shows what Omaha was: a bloody slaughtering. Really well done. I've never experienced anything like that sofar in any game, without a skript or what ever. The whole struggle to get off the beach, the athmosphere ... speachless.

Gold Beach is an excellent map too but it relies on a first fast approach of the allied team. If the Churchill drivers are not up to the task and the first flags are not taken fast the british team will have a hard time. Difficult to judge the balance of the map right now, as I feel that there are plenty of options to attack for the british team.

The few occasions when I encountered the new tanking system I had a 2.4 flashback. It is so much better now. People in Shermans were amazed that they need to be carfull now again and I saw a few reckless tankers driving as in 2.45 and get punished for it. The PaK 40, the 88 and the KwK of the Panzer IV are a real danger now as it should be and you need teamwork to take out a StuG IV with 75mm Shermans. I played Cobra on American side and we really had to fight to get forward and it wasn't a steam roll anymore though our pilots weren't that active either. I blew up a Panther with one shot to it's side with a perfect shot from the farm house to the bridge with the M4A1 76mm wich was impressive aswell. It really matters how you postion your tank knowing the weakness and the strengh of your vehicle and you get punished for mistakes. I turned my side towards a Panther but saw him too late and I simply knew that I was toast before the shot hit me. No surprises, no buggy bouncing shots, skill matters again, well done!

Panzerfaust 30 and the Panzerschreck are working as intented again. That's FH2 how many people love it and talking to the majority of people on the server and on TS the most people enjoyed it aswell. I was so critical in the past about tanking in 2.45 and I really feel that the devs deserve the extra praise for what they have achieved with 2.46.

Thank you very much.  ;)

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-04-2014, 13:04:43 »
Well, limiting smoke kit for Americans on Omaha Beach map doesn't help with teamwork playing...