Author Topic: looking for a new gaming mouse  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Sgt_V3n0m

• View Profile
Re: looking for a new gaming mouse
« Reply #15 on: 13-04-2011, 19:04:01 »
after checking out the G500 and G700, a bit more closely they both wont do.
G500 seems, poor quality and the G700 seems much better but it is wireless and i ve read many people complain about the weak battery.

the R.A.T. 9 seems nice, i m looking into that further. customization of the mouse to fit my hand is a big +.

since you have that mouse a few questions:
- i ve read you can connect a cable to the mouse in case your battery runs low or whatever. what quality is that cable. for the G700 people said that cable was very stiff and thus not suitable for gaming.

- for how long do you have the mouse now ? any sings wear ? rubber getting loose ? buttons "springing" ? etc

Sorry, don't have the R.A.T. 9  I would like to own it but I didn't have the money at the time, so I went with the 7. The only difference between the two is that the 9 is wireless. But, the cable for the 7 is braided, so it's still within the first couple of weeks, but then when it gets broken in it loosens up. Yes, it is more stiff than most cables because it's braided, but you will NOT get any kinks or anything inside it.

And to answer your second question, I've owned the 7 for 2 months now, and since I'm between jobs (self employed), I've been gaming on an almost daily basis, yet the only sign of wear is the black is becoming a bit...less black, but that's only due to my cursed hands getting oily a bit. Other than that, it fits like a custom made glove, the sniper button has saved my hide MORE than a few times in ALL games, and when you move it on a good mouse pad, it's as if your pad is oiled glass. Also, I LOVE it that one of the pinky rests has a small shelf. My pinky tends to drag on the pad, and with the shelf, it sits on that instead so It won't screw up my aim.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14-04-2011, 15:04:10 »
thx 4 the info, i will check out the r.a.t. at a local store.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18-05-2011, 15:05:46 »
for those interrested

i now bought the R.A.T. 9 http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat9.htm

the amount of customization is astonishing. in the beginning it was almost too many possibilities.
it took me like an hour to find a "setup" comfortable enough to give it a try in gaming.
changing most "features" can be done in like 10 seconds. so enough time between "respawns"

while playing i adjusted the setup more and more and now have a very nice setup for myself.

i am using the "clawgrip" palm piece and the large pinky rest.

at the beginning the the mouse speed was way to high for me but you can set 4 presets that can range from 25-5000+ dpi (in steps of 25 dpi)
so i set most of them low slowly getting faster and now i am quite comfortable with 2500 dpi but might try to get it a bit  higher since the clawgrip is good for that.

so far i am quite happy with the R.A.T.9 it is wireless but comapred to my old wireless it has 2 seperate battery packs. one inside the mouse and one in the loadingdock/wireless reciever. they seem to hold out quite a long time. they came precharged with 50% and i am still using the "first" one after many hours of gaming.
also changing the batteries is done very quickly.

i didnt use the "sniper" button yet, when you keep it pressed it sets your current dpi to a preset percentage.
for example if you play with 3000 dpi and have the sniper button set to 33% you have easy access to a 1000pdi option.
havent used it much yet but i could see this as a useful feature.

another thing i havent used yet is the horizontal thumb wheel. right now it is kind of hard to reach and i dont know what command to put on it yet. maybe page up/down or something like that.

so to wrap it up

very customizable
4 mouse profiles (includes 4 dpi settings each)
long lasting battery time and 2 batteries

for now i am happy with it.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18-05-2011, 19:05:59 »
It looks like a damn transformer !!!

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18-05-2011, 19:05:54 »
It looks like a damn transformer !!!
Haha

I tought same  ;D

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19-05-2011, 11:05:11 »
Yeah, why you'd need more than 3000dpi I'll never know... ???

I upgraded from a Logitech MX510 (800dpi) to a Razer Imperator (up to 5600dpi) about 6 months ago, and I have it set to 2600, but I have to knock it back to 800 when playing an FPS.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19-05-2011, 14:05:41 »
i "need" more DPI becuase i changed hte way i am holding the mouse.
in general i guess there are 3 main ways to hold a mouse, „Palm grip“, „Claw grip“ and „Fingertip grip“.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqSGFQIcU_o (video showing them )

while before i was moving my whole hand, arm + mouse over the keyboard long ways i am now making only small movents out of the wrist.
thus the mouse travels less space so i need more dpi to get the same movement done this way.
i doubt i ll ever be comfortable in 500dpi
but i am at 2500 now and might try getting to 3000 if i feel it is worth it.

and by worth it i mean getting all the control out of the wrist without moving the arm.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20-05-2011, 12:05:07 »
The way I hold it depends on what I'm doing.

When gaming, I use the "fingertip"-style (? the second one in the vid).

The rest of the time it's the "Claw-grip". That way I can rest the heel of my palm/wrist on the table and control the mouse with my fingers.

At 2600dpi, I only have to move my mouse half an inch to get from one side of the screen to the other.

I've tried it at higher settings and over 3500 or so, it just seems too twitchy...but then come to think of it, I didn't change the pointer speed in Windows mouse settings, maybe that was why... :)

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21-06-2011, 00:06:18 »
Refreshing topic - I need new mouse, because with my current mouse aiming is simply annoying - its not accurate....
This R.A.T. 9 look amazing and its price is also amazing. But what you think about R.A.T. 3? It has 3200 DPI - is it enough?

And also I want buy mouse pad - any recommendations?  :)

Edit: The mouse must be wired. And not too expensive - 20-30 Euro.
« Last Edit: 21-06-2011, 00:06:57 by Kwiot »

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22-06-2011, 17:06:09 »
well in conclusion
i stayed at kind of low DPI settings right now i got 1500dpi as max setting.
but i am happy witht he mouse now, took quite a while to get everythign set up but it is nice now.

cant really tell say much about the r.a.t. 3
it seems to be missing  a few modification options (like the pinky rest and different palm rests, adjustable thumb rest)

also no horizontal scroll wheel (still haven't found much use for that so no biggy there)

so in general the r.a.t. 3 has nothing special over "normal" mouses like logitech mx518 or whatever and i wouldnt recommend it.
i guess there are other mice for less money that can do more than the r.a.t. 3

i only choose the r.a.t. 9 because of the customization options to get a "perfect" fit, thus justifying the high price.
the r.a.t.3 has none of those options (beside the fully customizable DPI setting) and is still quite pricey
« Last Edit: 22-06-2011, 18:06:59 by Die Happy »
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30-06-2011, 10:06:41 »
Now I'm thinking about Logitech G500 or RAT 5....

Offline RN_Max

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01-07-2011, 17:07:40 »
I'm a southpaw, so choice is limited.

My Razer Copperhead finally gave up the ghost a few months ago and I finally settled for a Razer Lachesis.

Both are hand neutral, as left handed mice are as common as rocking horse shit.