Author Topic: Some newbie questions  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
Some newbie questions
« on: 29-12-2010, 16:12:32 »
I am running FH2 with a BF2 version from the steam.

1) Is there some easy way to get vsync on with windows 7 and hd4850? And I mean some config file line type of thingy. So far i've tried some stuff that i found from interweb though without luck.

2) Is there a way to make FH2 launch with 1-click from steam, or a batch that launches it from outside steam?

3) Is there bullet ballistics in this mod? So do i have to aim a bit high and lead targets that are far away and moving?

4) Is there a way to enable steam overlay without getting trouble from PB?

5) Can I just install "student" version of the BF2 and use the cd-key from steam cos Steam + bf2 = grey hair
Or is that cd-key some steam only whatnot code...?

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Some newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: 29-12-2010, 16:12:46 »
1. I have no problems acivating vsync ingame with my ati 57xx card, but then it starts lagging in game with smoke around
2. there is a steam tutorial in the sticky topics
3. yes
4. don´t think so, PB kicked me the last time I tried
5. never heard of a student version.. but the code you got from steam should be the code you need for your BF2 multiplayer account
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-12-2010, 16:12:22 »
1) No idea.

2) Yes, in library, select the 'add game' --> 'add non-steam game' and select FH2.exe

3) Yes. You notice this easiest with marksman rifles and machine guns with optics (on tanks and German tripods).

4) I'm not sure about this.

5) Not sure about this either... Steam BF2 + FH2 is not that hard to get to work, though. Here's a guide: http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=11781.0
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-12-2010, 17:12:57 »
2) Yes, in library, select the 'add game' --> 'add non-steam game' and select FH2.exe

Did not work.

5) Not sure about this either... Steam BF2 + FH2 is not that hard to get to work, though. Here's a guide: http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=11781.0

When you have 9-point list of things to do to get a mod working in steam, u can pretty much expect that half the ppl are not even gonna bother :)
Anyway, that list was not enough for me to get FH2 MP working. On top of that i got invalid cd-key stuff.

1. I have no problems acivating vsync ingame with my ati 57xx card, but then it starts lagging in game with smoke around
5. never heard of a student version.. but the code you got from steam should be the code you need for your BF2 multiplayer account

1) There isnt a vsync option in the video options of the game, last time i checked. I am looking for a working win7 config line type solution.

5) I am talking about piratebay version. Can I use the steam code for that? I would like to play bf2 and fh2 without changing manually shader files every time + all the other hassle.

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-12-2010, 17:12:29 »
1) There isnt a vsync option in the video options of the game, last time i checked. I am looking for a working win7 config line type solution.
Sorry, I was wrong. I used the ATI CC to disable it.

5) I am talking about piratebay version. Can I use the steam code for that? I would like to play bf2 and fh2 without changing manually shader files every time + all the other hassle.
Should be no problem if it is just the unaltered copy of the BF2 DVD.
I don´t think there are special "steam version" keys for BF2 so the key should work with the DVD version as well.

When you have 9-point list of things to do to get a mod working in steam, u can pretty much expect that half the ppl are not even gonna bother
Anyway, that list was not enough for me to get FH2 MP working. On top of that i got invalid cd-key stuff.
Point 9 is to start playing, you can´t count that ! :)
Anyway, important is only Point 5 - exchanging the shader files (can do that with a .bat file) and to start FH via community tab.

So, here is an nice 3 Point guide:  ;D
1. install BF2, create account and play at least once.
2. install FH2
3. exchange shaders (go in to the Steam/Steamapps/Common/BF2/Mods/FH2 and copy the shaders_client.zip file into Steam/Steamapps/Common/BF2/Mods/BF2)

then start BF2, go to community tab and start FH2.

if you then get PB trouble, update your PB client and definitions.
Also disable the steam overlay.
Heinz Guderian

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30-12-2010, 11:12:23 »
6) I had some FPS drops in the Ramelle map's city part and I was wondering is it the map itself or am I just running too old rig for this game to be run as everything high:
e6750, hd4850, 4gigs ram, win7

7) is there a practice map, like a shooting range for testing the ballistics for tanks and rifles?

8) how come no one used the VOIP ingame? Does it suck or is everyone using some mumble type solution like in PR?

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30-12-2010, 12:12:05 »
6. Try switching off the desktop composition that can help -> http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=6599.0

7. Leaning by doing is the best method here. Load up any map on LAN mode and just try stuff. A public testmap hasn't been released from the official side.

8.? voip isn't activated on most servers, but if you do want to chat using voip, just name your squad 'voipteam' or any other name referring to it and you will have people joining up who aren't to shy to use voip.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30-12-2010, 12:12:21 »
6) I had some FPS drops in the Ramelle map's city part and I was wondering is it the map itself or am I just running too old rig for this game to be run as everything high:
e6750, hd4850, 4gigs ram, win7

7) is there a practice map, like a shooting range for testing the ballistics for tanks and rifles?

8) how come no one used the VOIP ingame? Does it suck or is everyone using some mumble type solution like in PR?

6. I'm no expert on FPS but I guess it's normal for Ramelle to bog down when the fighting reaches the bridge, with all the smoke needed for those flags, the Mustang raids, and usually two to three tanks bunched together. When it was just released it was horrible, but I must admit the last couple of times I've played that map it played a lot better. Your PC should be fine. I've got only 2 Gb RAM and it runs comfortably, with the settings around medium I think.

7. You can practice on any map there is, just start a single player game and knock yourself out.

8. VoIP is used. Mostly by guys who have a clan name/abbreviation in their nickname (hslan, WOLF, DLF, stuff like that) but especially on public servers the commrose is used more widely to communicate with your teammates. So check who's in a particular squad when you're joing one, and after a while you start to remember who's playing with VoIP and who's not.

Enjoy!
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30-12-2010, 17:12:40 »
Didn't notice any difference with the Desktop composition thingy. Ramelle still gives quite low fps in some part of the city.

Immersive mode took away a lot of the c*ap from the screen, thanks for the tip. Although it took away some info that i need to know sometimes e.g. magazine count. Is there a way to check that when playing immersive mode?

Sorry, I was wrong. I used the ATI CC to disable it.

I take u mean enable vsync. Anyway, when no one gave any tips for config file tweak about this, i used ati tray tool to enable it. I just try to minimize stuff to run but if this the only way to enable vsync, well then...

10) Can you spawnblock enemy? So if u are in the cap zone where they should spawn, does it block it so that they have to choose a spawn point that is a bit further away?

11) Sometimes when i run it seems that the rifle cant decide what to do and keep "shaking" a bit. Normal feature or a bug?

12) FH2 doesnt like OC'ed Cpus? It feels a bit more stuttery when i software oc my cpu.

13) Tank driver is the commander at the same time? So there is no driver window i take?

14) when i load a diff. shell for the tank, do i have to shoot the previous away from the barrel before it changes that ammo type? I got a bit confused how this worked when trying it in SP.
« Last Edit: 30-12-2010, 17:12:32 by Atkins »

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30-12-2010, 18:12:56 »
10) Can you spawnblock enemy? So if u are in the cap zone where they should spawn, does it block it so that they have to choose a spawn point that is a bit further away?

11) Sometimes when i run it seems that the rifle cant decide what to do and keep "shaking" a bit. Normal feature or a bug?

12) FH2 doesnt like OC'ed Cpus? It feels a bit more stuttery when i software oc my cpu.

13) Tank driver is the commander at the same time? So there is no driver window i take?

14) when i load a diff. shell for the tank, do i have to shoot the previous away from the barrel before it changes that ammo type? I got a bit confused how this worked when trying it in SP.

10. No, but as soon as the flag turns grey (or disappears off the flagpole) the enemy can't spawn on that paricular flag anymore.

11. Never noticed. Probably a animation (or a lag/connection) thingy. Can't help you there.

12. In english please.  ;)

13. Yes, pos. 1 in a tank symbolises the crew, as in: driver, gunner & commander. Pity you can't stick your head out of the cupola as a tank commander (and spot stuff), but that's probably an engine thing

14. No, you don't have to reload. The moment you select a specific shell, that one gets loaded and will be the one you fire off when pressing <fire>. The cling-clangy sound you hear is you changing the shell ;-)
Oh, come to think of it (maybe obvious, but who knows), you do have to select and click to select it, then wait a couple of seconds and then fire.
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30-12-2010, 18:12:08 »
I take the ATT + vsync back. Seems to CTD 99% time when i launch BF2.

12) FH2 doesn't like processor overclocking, i take?

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30-12-2010, 21:12:52 »

Processor doesn't like overclocking perhaps? Vsync is a bitch when there is smoke around.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31-12-2010, 00:12:08 »

Processor doesn't like overclocking perhaps? Vsync is a bitch when there is smoke around.

Cpu works otherwise fine a bit OCed, it just feels that FH2 has something against it.
Vsync is otherwise good to me, it prevents the annoying screen tearing.
I might have gotten the ATT + FH2 to work, at least last time it didnt crash. But i would appreciate for a config line type of a solution for enabling the vsync in FH2.

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31-12-2010, 01:12:45 »
Cpu works otherwise fine a bit OCed, it just feels that FH2 has something against it.
Vsync is otherwise good to me, it prevents the annoying screen tearing.
I might have gotten the ATT + FH2 to work, at least last time it didnt crash. But i would appreciate for a config line type of a solution for enabling the vsync in FH2.
I meant to disable vsync, bacause it could lower lag in some cases. (ramelle, much smoke..)

The BF2 engine is depending a lot of single core CPU power and mem throughput afaik, so it could cause your overclocked cpu to crash, while other less cpu intensive games do not.

googling for "bf2 vsync config" i found this:
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-pr-bf2-support/78915-no-vsync-support-bf2-all.html
Heinz Guderian

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31-12-2010, 10:12:55 »
Yeah, i saw that too but could never get the "renderer.vsync 1"  to work.