Author Topic: Close combat and Martial Art  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
Close combat and Martial Art
« on: 15-09-2010, 04:09:10 »
I want to talk here about what kind of martial art or close combat you pratice if you pratice one or which of them you want to pratice.

I do Krav maga for 3 week and I see my skill improve rapidly.
Krav maga isnt a martial art for me, it's more a close combat fighting style because martial art have a philosophy and  have quest for aesthetic and Krav maga didnt have that.

Here some information about what I do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Close combat and Martial Art
« Reply #1 on: 15-09-2010, 05:09:33 »
I spent 2 years learning Kung Fu and got to the brown belt leve. I was 2 belts away from Black belt until I lost my interest in Kung Fu. Now I just do pushups and etc. to keep myself in shape and they have helped. I also work with my feet alot to keep myself agile

Krav Maga looks interesting, I'll have to see if there are any local instructors and check it out
« Last Edit: 15-09-2010, 15:09:51 by Flippy Warbear »

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Alakazou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15-09-2010, 05:09:39 »
I have an advice for you.
Don't go with commando krav maga Moni Aizik is a Quack.

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15-09-2010, 05:09:16 »
Three main styles of "Martial Arts", and some other self-improvised skills/techniques...

-Muay Thai
-Brazilian Jiu Jistu
-Tai Kwan Do

Good combination for wrestling, kick-boxing, groundwork, and boxing...

...tactical defences against armed opponents, are rather unrealistic for anyform of hand-to-hand combat. It's really whoever's buddy shows up with the .45 first. Although I do train in different, ruthless tactics, for such situations in case it's my last resort. Deadly force, nothing you can really simulate with another person, only to use in a fatal confrontation.

Offline Alakazou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-09-2010, 05:09:43 »
 ???

If you are talking about Krav Maga you've make mistake.

Muay thai: yup for the knee and elbow but we don't use the tibia.
Brazillian JutJitsu: nope, we use some stuff frome Jutjitsu but not the brazillian one and we avoid groundcombat but if we go there, we will use some jutjitsu technique.
Tai kwan doe : not the main style use in Krav Maga, but we have some fancy (but useful) kick from that form of martial art.

We use some karate counter, Judo move, kung fu hand hit.

About the defence against armed opponant is really realistic and use on the field. We try to avoid fight, but the move are effective.

We have some technics of are owns developped by Krav maga master.
« Last Edit: 15-09-2010, 06:09:55 by Alakazou »

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15-09-2010, 09:09:36 »
If I ever started to train in self-defence or unarmed combat, my choice would be krav maga. Basically, what I have read - no-nonsense techniques that are designed to end the fight instantly, adopting the most effective moves from any other martial arts - makes it sound more useful than the others which are too concerned with maintaining a particular "style" to keep their "identity".

Martial arts, as in most of the fighting sports of today, are ritualized versions of once-real combat techniques. They are purposefully limited by "rules" (which don't exist in real-life fights), they have a very limited set of movements (so that you keep within the "rules" and/or your performance can be scored), and especially the Asian ones have more to do with spiritual and mental stuff than is really necessary. A hint: anything with the name "do" (literally: "the way") in it is even intended to be more a ritual than an actual fighting method. However, anything with "jutsu" is closer to the real thing, even if it is still limited in scope. (Example: jujutsu vs. judo).

Sure, if you think you need to build self-control or character, then a formal martial art would perhaps be just what the doctor ordered. But if you want to learn to be able to defend yourself IRL, then a less formal event would be my choice.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #6 on: 15-09-2010, 09:09:00 »
The art of Grass Ninja'ing is my calling.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Alakazou

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15-09-2010, 10:09:23 »
One of my friend do Ninjutsu and we talk alot about Krav maga Vs Ninjutsu.
The real problem with him is he think is master have the truth. When he talk it sound like that. But that why I hate martial art (Krav maga isnt for me a martial art, but more like a close combat). They think they're the best because of their identity. His master describe Krav maga as a fight for dead meat... Damned Israli commando use it on the field like the rest of IDF. CIA, FBI, US Special force too. (and many more). They don't teach a form of combat who will kill easily people in which you have put money and time to form them.
« Last Edit: 15-09-2010, 17:09:49 by Alakazou »

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15-09-2010, 11:09:47 »
Never done any martial arts though I have sometimes thought of starting. I'm not interested in the relaxing and exercising sides of the sport but the self defence part. Do these thing actually help you in a fight? If someone comes at you swinging a baseball bat, does Karate or Krav Maga tell you what to do?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Alakazou

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15-09-2010, 11:09:27 »
Karate... don't know, but krav maga yes :) We have move against choke, gun, assault rifle, shotgun, knife, baseball bat etc etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LumtCMyOEYg

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15-09-2010, 11:09:07 »
I was doing Kung Fu a while back...Now i may start again

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15-09-2010, 11:09:02 »
One of my friend do Ninjutsu and we talk alot about Krav maga Vs Ninjutsu.
Krav maga wins hands down, because ninjutsu in its real, original form has not existed since Tokugawa shogunate effectively ended the tradition. "Modern" ninjutsu came to be about the same time as ninja started appearing in martial arts films and is really just a mix of different martial arts moves, but marketed as "ninjutsu" to make it sound more mystical, lethal, and exciting, and also to justify the heftier price tag. The bottom line is, krav maga does not pretend to be anything else than it is, but with ninjutsu you really don't know if the master is just a professional con man.

Offline hslan.GN_Angrybeaver

• FH-Betatester
  • EEVIIIIIIL BEAVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15-09-2010, 11:09:45 »
in my city is no krav maga trainer....sadly
i would love to learn it,but im not willing to drive an hour to get to the training

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15-09-2010, 12:09:19 »
Trained for a year and a half in Jujitsu.

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15-09-2010, 13:09:29 »
Did a Tai Chi course back in '93 and also did Kendo for a short spell, but it got in the way of my studies. Were both really interesting, butthey're more of a lifestyle/philosophy than they are a "fighting sport" (sorry for the dunglish). Loved the historical part of it but too much rules and traditions that got in the way of me actually enjoying the physical part of it. Learned a lot about movement and balance though.

Now I just watch Wuxia and kung fu movies.  ;)
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.