Author Topic: The Great thread of Movies/Documentaries regarding WW1/WW2/Other conflicts  (Read 36585 times)

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Re: The Great thread of WW2 Movies/Documentaries
« Reply #16 on: 20-09-2009, 12:09:33 »
Haha, oh god.

Highfive. Titta, fitta!

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #17 on: 23-09-2009, 22:09:07 »
Play Dirty with Michael Caine, good watch?

Does look pretty awesome, just saw the opening on YouTube.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24-09-2009, 08:09:20 »
Well, i try something different. I'll put some "no good" movies in my taste.

Valkyrie (2008), starring Tom Cruise and Bill Nighy.
I think it is boring. And if you want to learn about the stuff, better watch documentaries. The only good thing is because the Germans speak the correct language. In here, you can see a glimpse about how Count von Stauffenberg get his injuries in North Africa until the demise of "Valkyrie". However, you won't see his brilliant early days in Ostfront.

Pearl Harbor (2001), starring Ben Affleck, Josh Hartnett, Kate Beckinsale and Alec Baldwin.
It is not about war really, however it has some interesting scenes about the opening of Pacific theater. It is two movies in one that Michael Bay apparently want to make. The first is the drama, the second is the historical "semi-jingoism". Put it together, the drama get bigger proportion and more elaboration (okay we get it), and the later perhaps have some that "2001 event" effect fast-forwarded. War and love sure does make a sexy theme, but this just isn't that good. Watch it to see some cool actions and special effects in Battle of Britain, Attack on Pearl Harbor, and Doolittle raid.

This month, MGM channel is going to run War Movies (particularly WW2) to commemorate 60 years of the start of WW2 (the Poland invasion version). Some of the titles are: Tobruk (any info?), Guns of Navarone (starred by favorite actor, Gregory Peck... though it is fictional), and so on.

Also requesting an info about this particular war movie:
I don't know the title, but it is certainly depicted in the open wide dessert, an American tank and a group of people is stranded in the middle of nowhere, attacked by Bf-109 in a comedic scene where the team has to switch covering position side-to-side waiting the Bf-109 to turn around and strafe without any effect on the tank again and again until it ran out of ammo, shot down by the tank's AA MG.

Could be this movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahara_%281943_American_film%29 but it said B&W, however, i saw it in color.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #19 on: 24-09-2009, 09:09:16 »
Yeah, Zoo. That sure sounds like Sahara. One tank in the middle of nowhere in North-Africa with soldiers from different nations trying to make it back to the lines.

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #20 on: 29-09-2009, 03:09:45 »
Just saw Von Ryan's Express, a Mark Robson movie from 1965 starring Frank Sinatra, Trevor Howard and Sergio Fantoni.

The cover for the image happens to be one of my inspirations
for the release images.

Colonel Ryan, an American Pilot, is shot down over Italy in August, 1943, and gets taken to an Italian POW camp. There he suddenly becomes in charge of a motley group of British prisoners under the command of Major Fincham (Trevor Howard). Ryan and Fincham clash, but eventually escape from the camp and head north in a prison train.

I have to say I quite liked it. For starters everyone talk in their right language, the Italians speak Italian, and the German speak German. The movie seems well done in regards of uniform and equipment, for most parts at least. The story is interesting and is well portrayed for it's time, it has it's issues but after going through much worse films from the same era, I'm quite pleased with this one.

I recommend it to anyone favoring the good old war movies made purely for story and entertainment and less for historical accuracy :)

« Last Edit: 29-09-2009, 03:09:21 by FatJoe »

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29-09-2009, 03:09:40 »
Just saw Von Ryan's Express, a Mark Robson movie from 1965 starring Frank Sinatra, Trevor Howard and Sergio Fantoni.

Colonel Ryan, an American Pilot, is shot down over Italy in August, 1943, and gets taken to an Italian POW camp. There he suddenly becomes in charge of a motley group of British prisoners under the command of Major Fincham (Trevor Howard). Ryan and Fincham clash, but eventually escape from the camp and head north in a prison train.

I have to say I quite liked it. For starters everyone talk in their right language, the Italians speak Italian, and the German speak German. The movie seems well done in regards of uniform and equipment, for most parts at least. The story is interesting and is well portrayed for it's time, it has it's issues but after going through much worse films from the same era, I'm quite pleased with this one.

I actually recommend anyone favoring

Sounds good, I'm willing to give it a try. In 1965 i'm sure the had plenty excess uniforms and equiptment, therefor proper attire and gear shouldn't have been a problem.

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29-09-2009, 05:09:04 »
I managed to watch all 6 seasons of Hogan's Heroes in about 3 weeks. Funniest WW2 show ever made, EVER!
Not only that, its got some epic espionage aswell.
« Last Edit: 29-09-2009, 05:09:26 by Kev4000 »

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Re: The Great thread of WW I & II Movies/Documentaries
« Reply #23 on: 24-10-2009, 11:10:28 »

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=167462

This thread has a gathered all the YouTube clips from History Channel's "Patton 360: Rommel's Last stand"

Pretty nice watch a lazy Saturday morning

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24-10-2009, 15:10:04 »
Gallipoli has always been a favourite film of mine.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #25 on: 11-01-2010, 22:01:20 »
Ah, finally a good reason to revive this baby!

Gentlemen, I'm looking for the name of a French documentary series in 6 parts. French made, everything in color. The name the show had here in Sweden was something like "End of the world" or "The downfall" you might say. 6 parts, French made, made during 2009.

Anybody know the original name? 

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #26 on: 13-01-2010, 19:01:25 »
Found it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1508238/

Apocalypse - La 2e guerre mondiale

Just seen the two first episodes of this documentary, great quality on the pictures

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJLGzEeexhM

Offline Agnostic84

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16-03-2010, 10:03:22 »
Battlefield is a documentary series initially shown in 1994 that explores the most important battles fought primarily during the Second World War but also the Vietnam War. The series employs a novel approach in which history is described by detailed accounts of major battles together with background and contextual information

Wikipedia article.

Highly recommended. ;)

Offline Dnarag1M

• WoT Team
  • Forgotten Hope Alliance
    • View Profile
    • mah website
« Reply #28 on: 16-03-2010, 13:03:49 »
Action movies :

Enemy at the Gates(2001) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0215750/
This film is about the battle for Stalingrad, but shot mostly from the perspective of the main character (The Russian sniper Vassili Zaitsev). However there is plenty of large scale action to be seen, and certainly ranks high with my favorite warmovies. Perhaps the inclusion of Rachel Weisz makes me prejudiced though  ;D

Surprised not to see it mentioned yet!

Talvisota (1989) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098437/
Also HIGHLY recommended and often forgotten (but with English subtitles is excellent).
'Russia attacked Finland in late November 1939. This film tells the story of a Finnish platoon of reservists from the municipality of Kauhava in the province of Pohjanmaa/Osttrobottnia who leave their homes and go to war. The film focuses on the farmer brothers Martti and Paavo Hakala.'

Weapon accuracy seems fairly high, with a lot of PPSH's and less known Finnish, German and Russian weapons and tanks. The filming style is typically Finnish as well, very raw and honest.

Harts War (2002) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251114/
'A law student becomes a lieutenant during World War II, is captured and asked to defend a black prisoner of war falsely accused of murder.'

Not as good as the above movies, but still an interesting watch. Some action, but mostly it is an inside glimpse into the lives of a WW2 POW camp. It deals with the struggle for power, respect, and honor in a difficult situation.

And last but not least....

Inglourious Basterds (2009) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/
'In Nazi-occupied France during World War II, a group of Jewish-American soldiers known as "The Basterds" are chosen specifically to spread fear throughout the Third Reich by scalping and brutally killing Nazis.'

Quite a different genre than most warmovies since it is based upon art-cinema and Tarantino's love for Sergio Leone's old spaghetti westerns is fairly obvious throughout the movie. Also for any Tarantino fan this movie will feel 'at home' through its harsh violence, much sarcastic and ironic humor and unpredictability.

Besides this however, the movie also is quite well made and shows very good scenery, war-time paris, uniforms, weapons and small-scale tactics. However, it is all magnified to caricatural levels at times which you either like, or dont like :). I *loved* this movie however.

« Last Edit: 16-03-2010, 13:03:35 by Dnarag1M »

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16-03-2010, 13:03:08 »
There are no PPSh's in the Talvisota tho ;)
The production started after the winter war.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame