Author Topic: Arty damage  (Read 2081 times)

Offline novice12

• View Profile
Arty damage
« on: 11-04-2009, 22:04:08 »
Hello to everybody.

Actually I faced with the dilemma - to post this question in "Modding" Category or here. So, sorry if I posted it in wrong place

It seems to me that in-game artillery support is too powerful - it blows to dust tanks like PZ III or Crusader even when it's shells explodes 10-15 metres away  To say nothing about static guns and similar stuff.
I've tried to modify the explosion force and similar parametes of PC called artillery, but it doesn't seem to work.
Could somebody help me and point out the required parameters?
And another thing - where are the mortar's accuracy parameters?

Thaks in advance.

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
Re: Arty damage
« Reply #1 on: 11-04-2009, 22:04:45 »
Basic commander arty (commander_artillery_allied and commander artillery_axis) fires 150mmL17-HE-Projectile-Artillery.
You can find this projectile setup in "objects\weapons\Projectiles\Vehicleguns\vehicleguns.tweak"

As it is HE round, what mostly interests you is:
Code: [Select]
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionDamage 4350And yeah, that seems overpowered. You can tone down this via tmp.con of your map like that:
Code: [Select]
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe GenericProjectile 150mmL17-HE-Projectile-Artillery
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionDamage put_a_number_you_like_here

You can even make it fire another projectile via tmp.con

Or just don't place it on your map, use commander mortar or bombers instead ;)

Offline novice12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-04-2009, 01:04:50 »
Thanks for the prompt reply, I will try it out now.

And what about mortar's accuracy parameters, where can I change it? ???

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-04-2009, 06:04:30 »
Should work the same way only with the template for the 3inch Mortar. But why would you want to try it? It prevents you from playing online with us. :)

Anyways an HE Shell does only damage to light tanks at close hits and should an AT gun be surrounded by sandbags you need at least a direct hit to take them out.

Cheers
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline novice12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-04-2009, 13:04:13 »
Thanks for the reply. I guess that now all my day will be spent in parameters digging :)

The thing is that I'm just making a sub mod for "personal use" :D - it's my point of view on how a game should correspond to a REAL warfare. For example, 3inch in-game mortars - they have a very low fire rate and almost 100% accuracy. BUT in real life it is quite the contrary - the 3inch mortars have a significant fire rate {up to 25 rpm} and quite low accuracy. That's why I want to add fire rate and lower the accuracy - it will be more realistic.

And no, it won't prevent me from playing with you ::) - I'm just using two packs of files - one pack for m\p game {original vehicle_server/weapons_server and etc. files} and the other one {those files modified by me} for s\p game.

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-04-2009, 14:04:37 »
As for the mortars, they are indeed very accurate. TBH, they have no deviation component. To add this you have to open your editor, open one of mortars there, browse in the mortar templates to it's firearm template (the one that fires projectile, in case of british 3inch mortar it will be 3inchmortar_base -> 3inchmortar_Elevation_Handle -> 3inchmortar_PipeDummyElevation -> 3inchmortar_MortarFirearm), right-click on it's component list and select "Add SimpleDeviationComp Component"

Next, you can enter values you want into deviation component. MinDev is minimum deviation that weapon will have (percentage, so for example value one there means 1% deviation), SubProjectileDev doesn't lie in your interests as it's for weapons that fire clusters, FireDevAdd is deviation added to weapon when it's fired, FireDevSub is rate at which weapon loses the fire deviation when it's not fired and FireDevMax is maximum deviation that can be caused by firing.

Hope that helps :)
« Last Edit: 12-04-2009, 14:04:23 by [F|H]Spit »

Offline novice12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-04-2009, 17:04:01 »
Thanks for the well-grounded answer.

I guess the program you've made a screenshots from is bf2editor - I do not have it yet, so I'm going to install it now.

As for the artillery explosionDamage - I had to decrease it down to value of 10  :o  Even the value of 20 leads to the destruction of almost all types of armored vehicles that are closer than 10 metres to the explosion. Maybe there are some other modifiers or something like this that increases the explosion damage?

P.S. Sorry for the digress from the main subject - I see that you have skills in FH modding, so maybe you could help me with the following  ::).
I think that the ingame penetration values are a bit incorrect. For example, german PzB39 AT rifle penetrates 30mm armour plate at 100 metres range. Vickers Mk. VI B Light Tank has a maximum frontal\side\rear armoring of 14 mm - piece of a cake for the PzB39. At the present moment the player has to hit Vickers three times to destroy it - bit isn't it easier just to make Vickers armor permeable for the PzB39 shells? If so, the shell will penetrate the armor, inflict some damage to the tank and kill the driver - that would be much more realistic than the present situation. BTW the same scheme could be applied to the AT gun's shells - instead of hitting the tank several times just to destroy it the one can aim at the weak spots and destroy the crew with only one shot. Are there in-game parameters that regulate this?
« Last Edit: 17-04-2009, 17:04:49 by novice12 »

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17-04-2009, 17:04:15 »
- Yes, it was bf2editor.

- Well, the actuall damage that game gives to object that is in explosion radius is [explosion damage * material table modifier]. Each psychical thing in game has material assigned, and each explosion has material as well. You can find material table in bf2editor's material editor or in common/material/

- AFAIK it is impossible on bf2 engine (players can die in vehicles only if those are destroyed or something inflicts damage directly to soldier in open vehicle).

EDIT: If you're about to install bf2editor for first time, this will come in handy:
http://fenring.bf1942.cl/tutorials/ :)

« Last Edit: 17-04-2009, 17:04:25 by [F|H]Spit »

azreal

« Reply #8 on: 17-04-2009, 21:04:02 »
Also if you are going to mess around with the FH2 files, make sure to make a backup of the mod so you can still play online.

Offline Knoffhoff

• Developer
  • Vorstopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-04-2009, 13:04:57 »
I think that the ingame penetration values are a bit incorrect. For example, german PzB39 AT rifle penetrates 30mm armour plate at 100 metres range. Vickers Mk. VI B Light Tank has a maximum frontal\side\rear armoring of 14 mm - piece of a cake for the PzB39. At the present moment the player has to hit Vickers three times to destroy it - bit isn't it easier just to make Vickers armor permeable for the PzB39 shells? If so, the shell will penetrate the armor, inflict some damage to the tank and kill the driver - that would be much more realistic than the present situation.

Not every penetration of armour results in vehicles beeing destroyed or the crew taken out. The smaller the caliber that penetrates, the less shrapnel you will have inside of the vehicle and the less likely it is to take the vehicle out.
In FH guns either penetrate a certain ammount of armour or they don't. If they penetrate they will cause damage to the vehicle. The ammount of damage is dependent on the caliber.
I personally think that this is a very good system and would not like to see every weapon beeing able to one shot kill any vehicle that it is capable to penetrate the  armour.

Offline novice12

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20-04-2009, 01:04:46 »
If you're about to install bf2editor for first time, this will come in handy:
Thanks for the link. I don't remember exactly but I read somewhere that there is a type of material in BF2 that can be penetrated by bullets - some guy changed the armor of in-game helicopters\armored cars to this material so the crew can be knocked out by one burst. The biggest problem now is to recall where I've read it ::)

Also if you are going to mess around with the FH2 files, make sure to make a backup of the mod so you can still play online.
Yep, I've got approximately 500 MB of backup files - I am dazzled  :)

I personally think that this is a very good system and would not like to see every weapon beeing able to one shot kill any vehicle that it is capable to penetrate the  armour.
Well, this is a question of realism. For example, the one has almost zero chance to blow up Vickers with PzB39 AT rifle - and 90% chance to disable it's crew. Maybe the penetration principle is not suitable for AT guns - but from my point of view is absolutely imperative for AT rifles.