Author Topic: AVG Free makes me go to desktop everytime I play (includes solution)  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
I have AVG Free version 9.0.707 as anti-virus software, but since I have been using this, my game gets minimized and I go to desktop every 15 minutes or something like that.

When I press Alt+Tab I see of course FH2, and always AVG Free as a running process. When I Alt+Tab a few seconds later, AVG is gone. So, I suspect AVG to be pompted on top from time to time, causing my game to minimize. I don't have to explain how annoying this is: 9 out of 10 times I'm dead when I return to the game.

Does anyone else have this? Does anyone know which setting is causing this? I have been searching, but all I found was that I should change to a different anti-virus program. Also, in my advanced settings in AVG, I have "Gaming mode" enabled. It says: "enable gaming-mode whenever a fullscreen application is executed."

Hey, seems like I found a solution: http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=37907

So I'm gonna uninstall and reinstall AVG free 9.0 and see if it works.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
i just exit out of it at startup, and bring it on for my daily scanning

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
Just get 8.5 and don't visit naughty sites.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Just get 8.5 and don't visit naughty sites.

LOL, this sounds like someone having PC problems and someone else telling him: "Get pen and paper".  :D

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Hey I had this problem about losing focus on all possible programs every now and then very randomly and I found the exact solution.

It was very annoying whilst mapping or playing L4D (Tod, Happy, ctz can confirm...) to get alt tabbed all of a sudden for no apparent reason. Especially when Im a computer cleanliness nazi and keep sure my computer is as free of all sorts of shit as possible. So I googled around ferociously trying to find a solution and ended up to AVG's site to which I found people having same problem and possible solution to my problem.

I gave it a go and voila! Not single focus loss since then.

Now Im a happy bear again.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
And what was the solution for you? Disable Gaming mode?

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Reinstalling AVG complete as a fresh install. Deleting all previous files totally and reinstalling it. I havent had problems with the LinkScanner which was the reason my programs lost focus since the install screwed over at the first go when I upgraded from AVG 8 to AVG 9.

I had old AVG8 files left which apparently corrupted the AVG9 installation, causing LinkScanner to suck off focus on all other applications on random moments now and then.