Author Topic: radio communication  (Read 1100 times)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
radio communication
« on: 20-08-2011, 11:08:14 »
My idea is to add new option to commander radios (not commander screen) on battlefield as they are no longer usefull in some devs opinion and they're not appearing anymore on new maps what provides to no commander on battlefield at all. I'm not going to discuss commander usefulness, some may say that he's no longer needed but for players who like to be a commander there should be a possibility to play as one (you can even remove any additional options like "supplies" and "arty" on maps where mappers don't want them but leave the radios!) What I wish to see is a different Q/T-communication rose when using radio as a usual soldier - giving players possibility to use them and call any kind of support (what SL can do now) to their posisiton.

Another nice thing would be limiting recon class to squad level (one per squad or something) and giving them a field radio as they can now call arty and spot targets 'telepathically'. This could make recon less common and more important on battlefield. Also giving more points for killing recon (like for killing NCO) would make them a tasty treat for enemy snipers as they would become distinctive targets with characteristic radios on back.

discuss what i wrote as there is enough to discuss, don't even try to hijack this thread  ;)

EDIT:
And btw, I do not know much about the proper equipment, but isn't it a toy which I talked about and it's already done?
« Last Edit: 20-08-2011, 12:08:34 by jan_kurator »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: radio communication
« Reply #1 on: 20-08-2011, 12:08:47 »
I don't agree with limited recon, as some ppl will take it and never spot for arty, and that's just breaking the game.

But I do agree with adding radios on their backs as this will hopefully make recon more "newb friendly" in the sense that they will realize they can call in arty strikes. It would also look cool!
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-08-2011, 12:08:07 »
Yeah I must agree with you that limiting recon is risky solution and could break the game but as long as SL can also spot etc, I whish to connect SL and recon somehow without dictating any stupid rules or difficult complex codding solutions without adding radio also to NCO to make this idea look cool. I know that limiting them to squads isn't a good way to represant that but would be really cool also to make this class something more than just an alternative rifleman and give it more important role on battlefield somehow....

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-08-2011, 14:08:52 »
I just want to be able to spot for artillery with binocs from a commander vehicle. Currently it just sucks hard to drive a commander vehicle, big fat target with very limited vision.
« Last Edit: 20-08-2011, 15:08:45 by General_Henry »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-08-2011, 15:08:47 »
Wait, commander radios? As in the field radio?

So the setup I once proposed was this:

Scouts remain as is, they cant ALL carry radios... Thats not what a scout is, imo. They work well now, moving in groups, taking it to the enemy.
But you do get a pickup radio kit.
The commander doesn't HAVE to only sit to use radio ove and his assets, but can do so if close to a person with radio on their back
The radio person is a basic rifleman, he does NOTHING different. He just gets points for radio use
The commander and NCO in range of this person can use radio overs, otherwise its ALL voice overs, including 'Yes' and 'No', which ppl currently spam with
Also, the NCO and Commander can use thier assets (Mapper decision),  the latter of which needs beefed up assets to make his role useful
IU also think static radios will be in order. Have these like you have in your pic, lying in a foxhole etc, at the commander CP, or whatever, so that it acts like a field version of the commander euquipment. Can also be destroyed. Also needs to be fixed. CANNOT be moved.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-08-2011, 17:08:09 »
Basically your idea is good, but don't fit FH2 gameplay. I can't imagine your 9 (yes, that's the minimum number needed) pickup kits in main base to give radio to EVERY squad which needs it and another ones on forward flags to provide radio communication on battlefield!  :-\

Would be nice to have new communication system but without spawnable scout kit with radio this would be a distaster and leads to having no radio overs at all 'cause no one will look for the radio to pick up. This system would also fail when radio man couldn't use his own radio. Imagine situation when your scout is dead, you pickup radio as SL and can do nothing. Also new command would be needed for SL to call radioman or make him wait for you to let you use his radio (+ some visual things like spawn menu icons for radioman etc).

Another thing that this would be really drastic change. Anyway I like it and support it but only with spawnable radioman/scout class.

On the commander static radios - I would leave them as they are now, but with such amount like on old desert maps where they are placed almost on every flag.

Btw, vehicle radios also need some overhaul imo and Q-rose for different vehicle/weapon would be different (but it needs recording new commands etc, etc. and there is already thread about it somewhere, thread which died really fast, that's why I suggest what I suggest and ask to not hijack this thread ;) )

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20-08-2011, 17:08:21 »
Any spawn kit is a bit much, especially for those that were scarce. Spawn radios will also be too many. Its not an exact number though, Jan.

You get about 5 or 6 radio pickups at the main base, but you also get the static radios spawn at capped flags... SOME flags. Its not at all times that squads need to communicate to the commander or rest of the army. It will ACTUALLY, imo, add to the proper feel of WWII while keeping it less than hardcore. The range of use simply needs to be adjusted, as with the numbers available.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20-08-2011, 17:08:08 »
Spawnable LIMITED scout kit with radio is a solution. Why you would leave scout as it is now, when he will become TOTALLY USELESS with system you discribe?

and, djinn! go play instead of sitting on this forum 24/7 and let someone else comment here 'cause I see that almost nobody give a fuck about communication in FH2 except you (but you have alwayas something to say in any thread so it doesn't count) :P
« Last Edit: 20-08-2011, 17:08:12 by jan_kurator »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20-08-2011, 19:08:23 »
Personally, no matter how djinn's idea might sound really cool and woud add a lot of immersion to FH2 I don't really like it cause it won't add nothing new to the game, but instead take existing features from it...

I would rather have deployable (and destroyable) radios that can be placed by SLs and act as a deployed spawn point. This kind of system would relieve the SL of tedious work acting as a mothership and would enable him to actually lead his men instead of sitting in a corner of a building and waiting for his men to cap the flag.

The radios could be added to scouts in squads (if possible) and if the SL is near his scout people could spawn on him as they do now (this would enable him to regroup his squad when on the move, and would give the scout a new task of defending his SL so he could spawn new reinforcements). Spawning on SL would also be enabled when in a vehicle... Of course I'm talking out of my a$$ now, and all of this probably isn't possible but it would give new options for the SL and change gameplay a bit.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20-08-2011, 20:08:02 »
Personally, no matter how djinn's idea might sound really cool and woud add a lot of immersion to FH2 I don't really like it cause it won't add nothing new to the game, but instead take existing features from it...
well, the whole problem with actual communication system in FH2 is that is has voices from bf1942 and BF2 structure. It's not working properly, it looks like it is bugged and need some overhaul. And taking existing features from game is good as long as it took something wrong away and replace with well working one - players will fast get the feel of it. If communication system would work fine and while at the same moment being awesome, what else is needed? For example 2.4 took away crosshair which was one of the game feature and everybody is happy now! ;)

This thread is about radio communication, so please do not merge it with some spawning mechanics!

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21-08-2011, 03:08:12 »

There are commander radio's on the new maps, Eppeldorf and Bastogne for sure, I haven't looked on other maps thouogh.

WRT topic at hand,  why re-invent the wheel? there are far better things for the mod team to do than to fixate on suggestions from a very small handful of people. Do we need more radio commands? No way,

If you are so concerned about effective comms, maybe buy a 3 dollar chinese headset with a microphone, join a VOIP squad and poof !!! all problems disappear.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21-08-2011, 10:08:58 »
you didn't get that. It's not about more commands, but commands that works and fit this HIGH QUALITY game. It's not about VOIP or TS but about game immersion. For example of quite bugged command system now: why regular soldier "can" spot enemies using q-rose and send radio-ish voice over when he hasn't any radio and he's intel isn't really send to his team? It can be misleading for new players as they can hear their commands through the radio which doesn't exist and it is bf1942 voices fault. Problem is that even recon class which actually can spot in FH doesn't have any radio either so that's misleading even more 'cause for new guys it looks like this now: none class has radio on their backs and everyone "can" send radio commands, so that's how this system works in FH2, ok. My OP suggestion was only to give recon class radio on their backs, Djinn's suggestion is a whole another story...