Author Topic: Enemy Unit Spotted!  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Ronson

• View Profile
Enemy Unit Spotted!
« on: 10-02-2013, 18:02:07 »
Just had a round of Hurtgen on the 128 player server that was panning out to be an excellent game until some splendid young fellow began incessantly spamming 'Enemy Unit Spotted!' I can only applaud his patience, concentration and dedication to his craft as it went on, and on, and on, then stopped, then started again... had to alt-tab out of the map as it was becoming unbearable.

This was on 762, where I'm sure you can only spam 'Nein!' 5 or 6 stimes before you get a 30 second timeout on the naughty step so I guess the sainted arse-clown in question was spotting using a vehicle or maybe binos. You sometimes get a similar thing happening when someone unsporting is in a tank and abuses the spotting function to try to reveal infantry hiding in a hedgerow - 'Enemy Unit Spotted!' 40 times in a row.

Armour and infantry spotting don't seem so irritating, even with 100+ players, but that 'Enemy Unit Spotted!' voice... it grates because it's so heavily used. It comes up on every mis-spot; admittedly it also counts half-tracks, trucks and other stuff but it's mostly mis-spots, making it 99% useless. It's not so bad on a sparsely populated server, but on 64+ it can get annoying, even without deliberate abuse.

I could have sworn that I once read that a particular voice command could replaced with a blank .wav or something to deal with this problem, but I can't find it in a search so I'm probably misremembering. Don't know if the devs have got any plans to sort this out in the next patch, but is there any kind of client-side tweak to remove that voice command completely?

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
Re: Enemy Unit Spotted!
« Reply #1 on: 10-02-2013, 20:02:41 »
I feel your pain. I kicked a player on Cobra the other day for radio spam, after I asked him to stop, because he had said "Enemy Armor Spotted" over 40 times in 2 minutes. And he wasn't even spotting a tank, it may as well have said "Enemy Question Mark Spotted". Literally one after the other, going on and on and on. I wish it was a rule, but apparently it's okay to annoy the shit out of other players and make it impossible for them to hear enemies, because I got kicked myself for "making up rules". If there is a way to change audio files and allow what you're talking about, I'd like to hear it.
« Last Edit: 10-02-2013, 20:02:21 by Christie.Front.Drive »
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-02-2013, 21:02:22 »
I think it should be forbidden to shout a command more than 5 times in 10 seconds.

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-02-2013, 21:02:22 »
The worst part is a lot of the times the retards doing this are trying to get a little tank icon (or arrow or sniper or whatever), when they could just place one manually by moving the mouse an inch to the right when they click on the Commo Rose.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-02-2013, 21:02:36 »
 The system is flawed.

There have been many times i have tried to spot a Tank and have to spot it "several" times before it appears on the mini-map.

However, there are numerous ass-hats doing what you stated Ronson.

;)

0utlaw

« Reply #5 on: 10-02-2013, 21:02:12 »
welcome to the bf2 spotting system   :P

i hoped someday fh2 would just remove spotting the enemy on the minimap entirely. i hated that about bf2, a team can see the enemy movements on the minimap by spotting... bf42/fh1 did not have that. lame game feature by bf2 imo. devs please consider removing this feature in the future, thanks.
« Last Edit: 10-02-2013, 22:02:51 by 0utlaw »

Offline Khaine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-02-2013, 22:02:35 »

i hoped someday fh2 would just remove spotting the enemy on the minimap entirely. i hated that about bf2, a team can see the enemy movements on the minimap by spotting... bf42/fh1 did not have that. lame game feature by bf2 imo. devs please consider removing this feature in the future, thanks.

That would be awesome.

Offline Guderian

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-02-2013, 22:02:19 »

That would be awesome.
I believe it is possible. I remember Archy disabled the audio but I can't remember if he was able to remove the annoying in-game text. I'll ask him again because when I play and hear that being spammed I want to break my headset!
« Last Edit: 10-02-2013, 22:02:03 by Guderian »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-02-2013, 23:02:10 »
Guderian! You back in action?

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10-02-2013, 23:02:38 »
Tbh, I use blind spotting alot and it is a common technique to reveal enemy hideouts or people camping with a zook or shreck in a hedge or what else. It works very well, that's fact. I even get blockled for radio spam quite often, so if you play FH2 you will have to live with it, until the devs consider to remove the spotting or change it. I would like to keep the current spotting system, as it works very good and enforces teamwork. To remove the text and radio message for failed spots would be cool. Besides this I would like to see the spotting for tanks and static guns removed, so that binoculars get a more active role on the battlefield.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-02-2013, 00:02:34 »
Besides this I would like to see the spotting for tanks and static guns removed, so that binoculars get a more active role on the battlefield.
THIS!!!!!

I think that spotting should be able only with binoculars, that would make recon soldiers more valuable on the battlefield and if it's possible to disable spotting only from chosen vehicles I would take it away from all static weapons like mgs, at guns, and artillery and leave it only for recon vehicles like sdkfz222 (and if need be, spotter seats on some tanks like the one on the stug). It's silly how you can use static MG and spot targets without having binocs in your kit.

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11-02-2013, 02:02:33 »

You have to understand the concept behind it. In a real military hierachy, a commander exercises his command through his subordinate commanders, however without information it is impossible for a commander to make decisions. Just as that is true, it is also hard for the intertwined roles of different types of units to make decisions on how to defend themselves when information is not available. That is where the scout comes in. Infantry, Armor, Naval, and Air Forces all have scouts, to adequately paint a picture of the composition, and disposition of any friendly, enemy, or neutral parties on the battlefield.

Obviously without a chain of command in the video game it is impossible to represent this sort of real time reporting on a scale. Sure there may be hardcore sims like A.C.E for ArmA 2 or Project Reality which attempt to simulate this, but for the average person its just something that requires lots of practice. Battlefield solved this issue with the spotting icons. In 1942 they were just stationary icons, where by a quick press of the function keys a player could spot an asset and have its reported location pasted on the mini-map for all to see. In BF2 and BF3 it goes a bit farther, showing-for short periods of time-the real time movement of the asset. This is simulating the idea that the observer is continually reporting for at least a matter of seconds. In BF3 red icons were added over top of the vehicles in a 3 Dimensional Mini-map to give added situational awareness to everyone on the team, making proper use of assets easier. Planes would no longer strain their eyes to see tanks on the ground, and have to study mini-maps to find it. They could simply use the reported location, and the marker to home in on a spotted enemy vehicle. Squads of infantry could point out targets on their frontage without needing a compass. While the real soldier or pilot would do all these things due to skill, learned through practice, our avatar in-game does it for us, and pastes an icon for it.

To some that sounds ridiculous, but in the vast picture of things, I believe it a great system to simplify the idea known as Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield.

As far as the spamming sound of "FEINDLICHE PANZER GESICHTET!" I remember us experimenting in private with it, and setting it to a local sound rather than a global one. Which meant you could only hear the sound within a certain distance to the man reporting it. Which worked fine. In the end though chat spam can be reduced in a hundred different ways.
« Last Edit: 11-02-2013, 02:02:52 by Archimonday »

0utlaw

« Reply #12 on: 11-02-2013, 02:02:54 »
Oh i understand this completely archy, as ive been a vet player since the bf2 beta. Participating in many mods, tournaments, and pubs for years. The sounds do not bother me like others, i can easily filter the less important sounds out, it is the visual ability to see the enemy movements on the minimaps that bothers me. Its almost as if the game is simplified too much by adding what can be considered equal to an ingame hack, only everyone has the ability. An experienced player can spot enemies clear across the entire map at will quite easy without an actual visual of the target. I feel static icons would be much better or even as someone stated limiting the spotting to binoculars or recon vehicles only, would make a tremendous difference. That would also increase the importance of kits with binoculars or recon vehicles. In bf42, players seemed to be able to use stealth much more as an advantage, in bf2 against experienced players, not so much.
« Last Edit: 11-02-2013, 02:02:42 by 0utlaw »

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11-02-2013, 12:02:55 »
As far as the spamming sound of "FEINDLICHE PANZER GESICHTET!" I remember us experimenting in private with it, and setting it to a local sound rather than a global one. Which meant you could only hear the sound within a certain distance to the man reporting it. Which worked fine.

would you mind sharing how you achieved that? I think I managed to change infantry shouts to local, but whenever someone used the VO in a vehicle, it was still a global one ???

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #14 on: 12-02-2013, 18:02:51 »
Would the irritation not be solved with the implementation of Mumble for FH2.

I know, easier said than do, but moving the sounds to by-proxy would reduce chat spam.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats