Author Topic: Road To Forgotten Hope 2.4: Part 2  (Read 18495 times)

Offline Mazz

• View Profile
Re: Road To Forgotten Hope 2.4: Part 2
« Reply #90 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:00 »
I am a little worried myself that after all these tank changes come about in 16v16 battles, that I'm going to hop on the pub and be fighting Panthers and Tigers that I can't kill because I can't flank them with 32 people in the way and 3 routes to take, 2 of which he can negate with proper positioning.

It all sounds interesting, but for someone who only really plays this mod to tank, and has done so for countless hours over at WaW (the pub is hard to play after WaW battles, and generally dead the times I look), I am pretty worried about the real outcome to these changes. Compare the Panther in 2.2 to 2.25, if you knew how to use it, needing to be shot in the side twice was like being in god mode.

Basically, your looking to make heavy armor matter more, but in real life that was offset by so many other variables, here its just another tank on the field with a 60 second spawn timer.

Worried might not be the best choice of words, more like apprehensive.

I've gone 40-0 with the Panther on Goodwood just by playing the terrain, for people like me its just going to get easier/worse, depending on your perspective. I definitely won't pass judgement without playing beforehand, but I will be sure to give you guys my feedback.
« Last Edit: 12-07-2011, 22:07:02 by Mazz »
Michael Wittmann's gunner, Bobby Woll, was known to be an excellent Marksman.
He could hit targets at range even on the move.

Offline Guderian

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:16 »
fifth and final map
No Ste. Mere-Eglise? No Gold Beach? No Foy? No Puffendorf? We get maps like de_tunis and Ram-er-le but quality maps are abandoned or pushed into the "when we have time" zone ie. never-never-land as Keren was?
The only one of these maps it is possible for you to have seen is Keren.  How then are you to judge that they have 'quality' enough to make a release?

Will you please just stop and listen to yourself  :o

FH2 has over 35 quality maps in the mod and several still in the development stages...R U Serious? hahaha

I suggest you apply to the team as an applicant mapper and experience for yourself the high standards we have for our maps before they get released. Hell, I'll take you under the wing so you can hear first hand the insane level of dedication needed to get a map into the mod. Only then will you understand the lunacy of your comments.  :D

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:40 »
Only then will you notice the "/troll" at the end of the post. Oh the internet, where you can not imply sarcasm without a thousand smilies.

Yes, I am mildly disappointed in that some of the maps who were spotted on the test server which, based on their title, could have had unique gameplay (invasion, paradrop) did not make it and the new front will have initially only three maps (but then again, a snowdrift or a snowy fir tree are universally exploitable statics, as I have said in numerous threads before so the value of Bulge lies not in the maps alone but also in the statics).

To clarify, I enjoy most maps and even play the-map-that-shall-not-be-named grinding my teeth. However, what is the most significant difference between FH2 official maps and 99,9% of fan/tournament maps is the "art direction". FH2 locations have each a distinct theme and feel "lived in", that is, items feel naturally placed. Even many very polished, apparently very much time and effort consuming fanmaps feel just like that: maps for a third-person shooter. For some maps, it is "sufficient". For others, maybe not. And it is this "art direction" (for the lack of a better word) that I must commend all the devs and mappers for, and this is one of the most important reasons why I will keep playing FH up to infinity.

Offline Watchtower1001

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:58 »
Wow, never seen anyone having sand in his/her vagoo about some changelog. I dont think I have ever seen anyone whine about the log before. Please correct me if theres been such before.  :P

I love how friendly people are around here, you're staff and beta testers really really want to make me come to your forums.    I fail to see how stating 'extreme disappointment' counts as whining, but it seems to me that in my brief time I've spent on the forums here, expressing any sort of dislike or disappointment about the way the mod is operates somehow constitutes whining.  Not everyone is here to kiss the boots of the developers.

If you fail to see how creating a  proper 'user friendly' change log for the is a good idea, then I'd call you a very poor developer.  Kev I'm sure you do, and I'm sure your busy, but take my advice and put something proper together. 

Valve does it right, I humbly suggest you take a good look at what they are doing.  It's clean, simple and easy to read (which your SVN log is not) and the general public has something to take away, discuss and distribute easily.  ESPECIALLY Moddb.com, where thousands of people visit and look for these kind of things. 

"762 Admin"
"Watchtower's Fh2 2.45 Sound Conversion - http://tinyurl.com/WatchySoundMod"

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:23 »
Dude, its a change log...why do you care how its presented.  The newsupdates will all contain the valuable stuff you want, and the change log is purely a dev thing they show to us out of the goodness of their hearts.

Offline K.Cower

• I use immersive HUD
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:46 »
changelog-maniac. No comments.
Sinn Féin

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:58 »
I think this guy could have a job at writing our next log.

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #97 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:43 »
Okay I have a serious bone to pick with the change log.

Even for me as a developer, its hard to put together exactly what you guys are changing/putting together in 2.4, along with tweaks.  This looks more like a SVN log.

This is an example of a Team Fortress 2 update log on Steam. 

To the PR department --

I suggest a more 'user friendly' change log that is much more easier to understand for the general public detailing the specific changes from 2.3 to 2.4

I am sorry for your annoyance with our changelog and it's lack of user friendliness and professionalism.
I will very much admit that a public changelog is in no way user friendly, so it's certainly a valid suggestion, worth looking into for our next patch ;)

Thank you for your suggestion. :)

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:07 »
Well that's extremely disappointing to read Kev, because A LOT of people will be wanting to see a proper change log, including public and tournament people. 
...Your news is quite lacking then.
Your complain is concerning lack of detailed news updates, in a thread for discussion on a detailed news update? Anyways back on topic please.

I am a little worried myself that after all these tank changes come about in 16v16 battles, that I'm going to hop on the pub and be fighting Panthers and Tigers that I can't kill because I can't flank them with 32 people in the way and 3 routes to take, 2 of which he can negate with proper positioning.

We've tested it for many months. It doesn't introduce unintended bias towards heavier tanks.
It does however introduce intended bias. Which we've also rebalanced some maps accordingly for. Such as the KT on Goodwood.
It is only in effect at high angles. 0 - 60 degrees hits remain the same. And it still does a great deal of damage from 60 - 70 degrees.
If you've got a semi-clear view of a panther's side armour, you may still destroy it. However if it is only exposing a few pixels, it will not do any damage. The picture in the news isn't entirely accurate.
Hope that clears up any worry.

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:52 »
Neeeeeeomahgod.

These changes to the tanking system look AMAZING. I always wanted to enjoy the tanking experience in FH2, but little issues like those that are being addressed in this update always kind of dampened the experience. Thanks for being coding gods and figuring all this out!

And thank the lord you fixed the HE bug. That has to be the single most annoying bug in FH2 atm. The map looks nice too! I didn't expect to see so many pre-battle of the bulge maps, but it's a nice surprise.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:57 »
Wow, now the penetration will depend on angle! I thought it's impossible to make!  ;D Now, I hope that I will feel like "Pride of the Fatherland" in my Panther/Tiger/KT and other German stuff!  ;D I'm thinking of changing the side in the next FH campaign... Nah, just joking - I'll be always on the correct side!  :P

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:53 »
I noted from your screenshot of the settings screen, Kev, that the Devs have finally customized it for WWII... nice.

Its nice to see the mod going in a more realism-centered direction, without overdoing it. I wonder how no crosshairs will play out, since I was one of those concerned about it, but hey! till I play, I cannot judge.

But it does seem a tad meh compared to the hype - But again, maybe its something that needs to be experienced.

I can imagine the ability to see explosions, tank damage and the Shaders will do ALOT for immersive gameplay - And that WILL make 2.3 seem so weird...

Still, for me, the BIG thing is what Natty did with sound and where SP-support starts and stops. I sure hope nothing got broken...

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:15 »
I love this update in every single detail, but what about improvements to the planes? Will tommorow update contain some or we need to find out by ourselves on friday?  :P
« Last Edit: 12-07-2011, 22:07:38 by jan_kurator »

Offline Oberst Topgun

• FH-Betatester
  • been here from scratch
    • View Profile
    • www.fragthe.net
« Reply #103 on: 12-07-2011, 22:07:39 »
I love this update in every single detail, but what about improvements to the planes? Will tommorow update contain some or we need to find out by ourselves on friday?  :P

i think you will be more enlightened tomorrow ;)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 12-07-2011, 23:07:42 »
Ach Djinn, you really need to get some grass and smoke it... lighten up Dude.
And I'm afraid, as you can see with the changelog, not that much was done for SP. There enjoy your evening.  ;D
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off