Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 179750 times)

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #525 on: 21-03-2010, 17:03:17 »
I would rate Fightclub 10/10, its a mastarpiece like no other movie. The first time you watch it its a different movie than the second time you watch it. Like A Beautyful Mind. Knowing the main person is the same as Tyler Durden makes such a big difference so it changes the whole movie.  :)

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #526 on: 22-03-2010, 13:03:41 »
Paschendale....

omfg.  >:(

Shit, I don't want to sound disrespectful, I really don't.  But if this is Canadas cinematic contribution to the horrors of World War I, I understand why people say now "fuck Canada".

This film is rubbish, for a start it should not be called paschendale, it should be called 1hr 40 mins of Calgary and 10 mins of paschendale, come on, some footage of a battle that should never be forgotten would be nice here, even if this was just a behind the lines documentary style about the Canadian army and how they dealt with World War I being such a new nation in the world...

Nope, what you get with paschendale is the A-typical schmoltzy bullshit, the hero can take numerous bullets and not die, he's always right, he's got heart where everyone else has an open chest wound.  He falls in love but has to die.  He is always looking at the horizon, wondering - putting the world right.
Here's news for you Canada, nobody believes in these heros anymore, stick with the times man.

1/10 - just for the wardrobe and low grade SFX.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: 22-03-2010, 15:03:38 »
Paris, je t’aime

This is a movie from 2006, splitted into 18 episodes, all to be sat in Paris. More or less each episode illustrates different encounters of love between 2 or more people. It shows so well that there is just more than one way to express and to live love in life, though sometimes presented in a very abstract manner. However, I would have been happy if I could have seen this movie already 15 years ago, as it can be a real eye-opener.

I'd rate it 10/10

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: 22-03-2010, 22:03:55 »
Oh yeah I've heard much about Paris je t'aime. haven't seen it though, gotta do that!

The Shawshank Redemption
Believe it or not, I saw this for the first time the other day. I have some how just missed it.
But what a movie! I really liked it! the genious of it, how everything Andy Dufresne does is explained in the ending.
i like movies like this, where a genious scheme is hatched and executed without the knowledge of the viewer.
And since it was based on a true story (I may be hugely mistaking though, I want to believe it did) just makes it even more exciting.

8.5/10

I haven't seen this movie for some time now, but it deserves to be placed top 2 of my favourite movies of all time, all categories.

The Prestige
First of all; I love Michael Caine. great actor and seldom any of the movies he's starring is bad at all.

Simply amazing movie. The first time I was like "wow this is a great movie! i wanna watch it again!"
But it wasn't until the second time I realized the genious of it and thought "This might be one of the best movies ever made, this will forever be one of my favourites".

Amazing acting performances from everyone, Michael Caine, Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansson. Quite the heavy lineup of actors!
And I almost forgot, David Bowie plays the role of Nicolas Tesla. Which was a very great "easter egg" for me when I saw it first time, love Bowie.

Anyway, simply great and genious movie.

no doubt about the ratig. Have watched it up to 10 times, and I don't think I will stop. In fact, since I haven't seen it for a while I just got the urge to watch it again.

10/10,
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: 23-03-2010, 04:03:53 »
Harry potter marathong last Sunday, have them DVR'd and am slowly working through them.

My emotions range from "Oh yeah, Harry, your right, this magic stuff is pretty crazy" (2nd movie) to "Holy Shit was that a dystopian metaphor for fascism?!"

Of all the things in life, I thought that Harry Potter above all else would be free from social commentary.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: 23-03-2010, 12:03:02 »
The Prestige is awesome but relatively new so I can't say if it holds up with repeating viewings in the coming years but Shawshank Redemption is definitely another 10/10 movie, like Fight Club.

Another one that comes to mind when thinking of perfect movies (to me at least) is Jackie Brown. Perfectly balanced and still the benchmark against Tarantino-haters.

But I'm straying off topic here. Latest movie I watched was Ice Station Zebra. What an overrated pile of slowmoving Hollywood indulgence. Pfff, I really wanted to like it but I simply couldn't. 
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: 23-03-2010, 12:03:31 »
The Hurt Locker
Inspite of my having gotten fed up of war in iraq movies and other terrorist related themes, this one stood out as completely fresh - Granted, I only bothered to watch it because of the it beating Avatar in the Oscars

The sheer realistic and grittiness of it is something rare, and a standard of acting was maintained to keep the story believable. It was this factor, along with terrific camera work, scripting and the unfolding plot that really kept it together especially since let's face it, the emotional effect of a bomb disposal team isn't the most interesting topic Hollywood could have cooked up

9/10

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: 23-03-2010, 14:03:08 »
The Prestige

That is simply the best movie I have seen in a very long time. I've been waiting for something innovative and fresh and that film did deliver. Very good acting from all actors although some of them could drop the semi-brit accent. It got me entartained for the whole lenght of the movie and that is a rare thing. It has a strong ending (a part, hardest to make IMO) and all story unfolds there like in a good criminal story. Folks, this film is a must-see!

5/5

The fourth Kind

A pretty good thriller showing old topics in a very new light. It's not something you'll be scared to fall asleep after (unless you live in Alaska or other remote part of USA) but it has it's moments and those keep you watching and what's most important - curious. Acting is good and has nothing I could discredit as well as praise. Simply this movie doesn't give the cast a chance to 
win an oscar.

4/5

The Hurt Locker

First of all, I don't get the whole fuzz about this movie. Giving it an oscar is some kind of misunderstanding for all I know. Maybe it's an American thing and their involevement in the war but it is not my job to judge. At most I could call it a decent movie but honestly I was bored the whole time. Even the so called 'twists' didn't bring me any 'ooh' or 'ahh'. There wasn't much going on and if if some action started to roll the camera shake was there to make you not know what you saw. A good camera shake is good but for the love of puppies why the camera man jumps like epileptic everytime someone pulls a gun (scene where main character aims a pistol at a driver is nuts). Acting was alright but the characters were somehow blank for me. All in all this movie does not deserve all those praises it gets.

3/5

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: 23-03-2010, 15:03:48 »
I liked The Hurt Locker but to me it just wasn't that good. I think it got all the (oscar)-praise simply because it was the perfect anti-Avatar. It was gritty, cheap, "real", topical, all the things Avatar wasn't. And because Avatar was such a fan-favorite I guess opinions got a bit polarized with The Hurt Locker getting a lot of extra praise it otherwise wouldn't have gotten.
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: 23-03-2010, 16:03:21 »
I saw The Prestige at cinema when it was new. I dont remember too much, except i just thought it was a moderately good movie. Very good mood for sure, but not too much more.

A movie i advice everyone to stay away from is :   " The Sovereign's Servant "

In norwegian this movie was called " The Battle of Poltava " and its pictures and cover text is only about the russo-swedish war, while the film itself had a 5 minutes battle in the end, which were quite bad even. The rest of the movie was some french nobles dueling, travelling in wagons and having drama. Almost nothing about the battle. I was so pissed off, i was directly fooled. But since it had some battle, and an alittle allright "adventure-mood" i give it:     
                                      2/10

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: 23-03-2010, 17:03:59 »
The Prestige

That is simply the best movie I have seen in a very long time. I've been waiting for something innovative and fresh and that film did deliver. Very good acting from all actors although some of them could drop the semi-brit accent. It got me entartained for the whole lenght of the movie and that is a rare thing. It has a strong ending (a part, hardest to make IMO) and all story unfolds there like in a good criminal story. Folks, this film is a must-see!

5/5
Exactly :) amazing movie!

If you haven't already, watch it a second time (not right after of course, but sometime at least). Then you really understand the genious of small details that the ending explained.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: 23-03-2010, 20:03:18 »
The Prestige
5/5
Exactly :) amazing movie!

If you haven't already, watch it a second time (not right after of course, but sometime at least). Then you really understand the genious of small details that the ending explained.

Same here have seen it 3 times now. Love the acting and all!
Another movie that falls into the same awesome category is "The Illusionist"
I give that a good 4 out of 5! :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: 25-03-2010, 19:03:09 »
Slightly OT,

Just watched the British series Extras... First 2 seasons... And I actually got depressed by the end. And I think it's supposed to be funny :-(

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: 25-03-2010, 19:03:15 »
The Office is the most geniously written and performed show ever, the extras however, sucked IMO. big step down for ricky

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #539 on: 25-03-2010, 19:03:51 »
The Office (the British version) is the best TV show ever made

I liked Extras, had some great moments IMO but not in the same league as The Office but that series is really?