Author Topic: New Map Ideas (Post Yours)  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: New Map Ideas (Post Yours)
« Reply #15 on: 18-01-2018, 23:01:14 »
I was recently reading Osprey's "Operation Torch" book and became interested in the Battle for Port Lyautey. Stiff Vichy French resistance, and multiple counterattacks kept pushing Americans away from the Kasbah....What can I say, I'd love to see the French in the game someday (even if they aren't fighting along the allies).

I've always thought about an Operation Torch map. Although the one you posted seems very large so it would have to be scaled down. I've always imagined closer to 1:1 scale. The only one I've ever done research on is Safi;

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-MTO-NWA/USA-MTO-NWA-6.html

Same concept. USA vs Vichy French in an African port. I feel like more custom stuff would need to be made to get a proper Vichy French force tho. On top of that, amphibious landings are quite difficult to pull off in a map. But I love the idea of US in the desert. :D

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19-01-2018, 01:01:42 »
Here's a map that I've been wanting to see in Forgotten Hope 2 for quite some time now: The Attack on Pearl Harbor. I'm not sure if the FH2 team would be willing to develop this, since CMP has been the only source of Pacific front content, but I thought I'd still put it out there nonetheless. Here is a bit of info regarding the attack:

Now that's a much better suggestion. Now consider that CMP has all of the Jap Statics, ships models ect and FH2 has none (Officially). So, submit this to them.

Now i have an assignment for you. I want you to select a map project for the Eastern Front Time Frame (Summer 44) It can be any of the current available armies (Soviet-German-Finland).

* Bonus Assignment

- Ask TS4EVER why the eastern Front map graphic on the maps page;

http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/fh2_maps.php

has the Polish army symbol, but no Polish army maps listed, then recommend a Poland vs Russia map

Good luck.   ;D

Offline fighterpil

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19-01-2018, 01:01:34 »
Here's a map that I've been wanting to see in Forgotten Hope 2 for quite some time now: The Attack on Pearl Harbor. I'm not sure if the FH2 team would be willing to develop this, since CMP has been the only source of Pacific front content, but I thought I'd still put it out there nonetheless. Here is a bit of info regarding the attack:

Now that's a much better suggestion. Now consider that CMP has all of the Jap Statics, ships models ect and FH2 has none (Officially). So, submit this to them.

Now i have an assignment for you. I want you to select a map project for the Eastern Front Time Frame (Summer 44) It can be any of the current available armies (Soviet-German-Finland).

* Bonus Assignment

- Ask TS4EVER why the eastern Front map graphic on the maps page;

http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/fh2_maps.php

has the Polish army symbol, but no Polish army maps listed, then recommend a Poland vs Russia map

Good luck.   ;D

Alright, will do.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19-01-2018, 17:01:54 »
Stop fucking with him Jimi. It has a polish icon because it is the same graphic that is used for the FH1 map selection, which had 1939 polish campaign. There are no early war Eastern Front maps and none are planned, since there aren't any proper vehicles and uniforms (playermodels) available for that period ::)

Alright, will do.
Don't. And stop sending me private messages, please.

Offline fighterpil

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19-01-2018, 18:01:23 »
Stop fucking with him Jimi. It has a polish icon because it is the same graphic that is used for the FH1 map selection, which had 1939 polish campaign. There are no early war Eastern Front maps and none are planned, since there aren't any proper vehicles and uniforms (playermodels) available for that period ::)

Alright, will do.
Don't. And stop sending me private messages, please.

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. I only PM'ed you once, and it was because of a bug that I thought you might be able to help me fix.

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23-01-2018, 22:01:27 »

Decided to make another layout based on the Narva region: Tannenberg Line/ Blue Mountains defense.

From the looks of it, it would play out like Sammatus but with more hilly  terrain. Of course Estonians would be represented as Germans.
You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23-01-2018, 22:01:21 »

Decided to make another layout based on the Narva region: Tannenberg Line/ Blue Mountains defense.

From the looks of it, it would play out like Sammatus but with more hilly  terrain. Of course Estonians would be represented as Germans.

Dear christ! You are about to compress like half of estonia into one map? Not a good idea imho! Dont fall into that CMP problem where they downscale things way too much. Sinimäed alone is a big enough area for an absolutely huge map, now you'll just downscale a very large area into a relatively small space.

If you want my opinion, focus on Sinimäed only. You can do exactly what you want to do here if you spread the flags around the 3 hills.

EDIT: It would not play anything like Sammatus, because Sammatus is a tiny map for infantry fighting. ;)

EDIT #2: Be sharp and careful with your research btw. :)

Sinimäed consists of three hills that they fought over. So calling a flag "Sinimäed" is wrong when you also include Tornimägi, but still leaving out Grenaderimägi. Also, Sinimäed means Blue Hills, which are: Lastekodumägi (Orphanage Hill), Grenaderimägi (Grenadier Hill) and Tornimägi (Tower Hill).
« Last Edit: 23-01-2018, 22:01:28 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline fighterpil

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24-01-2018, 03:01:03 »
Looks really nice, but might be a tad bit big.  :D

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24-01-2018, 17:01:38 »

https://youtu.be/-Sgj78QG9Bg?t=209  I hope this looks better  :)
You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24-01-2018, 18:01:52 »
Nice layout, you should try your hand in the editor to make it. The layout would play well in a standard conquest map (or conquest assault it looks like).

Wouldn't take any custom statics so you could put it together with EF village buildings. Then it's just a matter of making the flag in the open field something fun to fight over like a defensive strong point. That whole line of flags could be low walls, backyards, homes trenches etc... for good infantry fighting. You could even add a 5th flag in the middle where that crossroads is so that the distance between the flags is good for infantry movement.

Area to the south seems to be characterized by open fields that are good for tanking and the north area is the same but slightly different with groupings of forrest to break up the openness.

You could have yourself a relatively simple and dynamic layout imo. Is this a specific area where the Estonians fought or would it matter to just use German forces?

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24-01-2018, 18:01:30 »
You could even add a 5th flag in the middle where that crossroads is so that the distance between the flags is good for infantry movement.
To avoid the stalemate when each team has 2 flags and no one bleeds, you mean?  ;)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24-01-2018, 18:01:13 »
Yea, an uneven number of flags is usually good cause it keeps people fighting (one team is usually always bleeding and needs to cap a flag) also the more I look at the area on Google Maps, the more it seems like this would still be a big map with a 2x2km layout. Maybe that middle area could be scaled down slightly but there's certainly room for a 5th flag in there and you could make it another defensive point that's not on a hill, call it roadblock or something.

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24-01-2018, 19:01:14 »
Here's an idea that's been floating in my mind for a long time now, the 1940 Battle of the Aisne:

It's meant to represent the fighting on the 10th of June as the germans break through the Weygand Line.

This layout is meant to work as a mirrored-Siege of Tobruk. The germans start with two flags, which represent the furthest extent of the bridgehead gained on the 9th of June after the hard-fought battle at Chateau-Porcien (the german mainbase), and must capture at least two more flags to make the french bleed. The french can also attack the german held flags, but wichever side bleeds is the one that gets proper offensive tools like tanks and air support.

This is meant to be a back and forward, attack and counterattack map, representing both the initial german armored push and the counterstroke by Groupement Buisson. All the flags initially in french hands are meant to be hedgehogs with all around defence.

Also, yes, it is very scaled, with about IRL 2 km between flags of the same sector and 5 km between sectors.

« Last Edit: 24-01-2018, 19:01:17 by MajorMajor »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24-01-2018, 19:01:09 »

https://youtu.be/-Sgj78QG9Bg?t=209  I hope this looks better  :)

Super! That is actually pretty much the setup I would have gone if I were to continue work on KeiMummy's Sinimäed map.

Like suggested, a fifth flag could work to help potential stalemates. That flag could be at the old cemetery, on the southern slope of Tornimägi or by the sport field belonging to the school at the village, between Grenaderimägi and the village.

Thought the area overall is large, one should be careful not to make the map too big. Some downscaling is almost always necessary, but in this kind of size it is far more appropriate approach than with the "fit the entire Kursk salient into a map" approach.
« Last Edit: 24-01-2018, 19:01:30 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24-01-2018, 20:01:06 »
Y'all need to strap into the Editor and make something of these layouts. The last 2 posted are quite good :)

Super! That is actually pretty much the setup I would have gone if I were to continue work on KeiMummy's Sinimäed map.

was his laid out like this?
« Last Edit: 24-01-2018, 20:01:49 by Matthew_Baker »