Author Topic: Colourising History  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
Re: Colourising History
« Reply #30 on: 04-03-2015, 14:03:30 »
Josh, do you use a tablet or is it all made with a mouse?

I actually use a mouse most of the time - only because I lack a decent and conveniently sized tablet. I have contemplated using one for an upcoming commission though as it just provides much finer and accurate control - especially since my mouse is only a cheap, low-resolution one.

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04-03-2015, 14:03:14 »
Say, Josh, I was wondering if you could help me with a camouflage pattern I've been struggling with.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3109&cat=1

Its the top row, fourth picture.

It's camouflaged in two colours, pale blue on the underside of the fuselage, and brownish or olive green glaze on the top, with the bottom wings and inner sections of the top wings doped white.

I'd like to know if the outer top wing parts would be glazed brown or green, or left pale blue.
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #32 on: 04-03-2015, 21:03:03 »
That's a really tricky one - to be honest - I'm not 100% convinced that the top and half are necessarily different colours. There could be part of the frame work that runs the length of the aircraft beneath the canvas which is causing a visible seam. The only thing that seems to ruin this theory is that the top half would logically be lighter as it is where the light would hit.

If it is two colours - tonally they are very similar. There is not much difference in it at all. So that means if the top half is a green colour - it is a very light green.

Possibly a grey-green for the top half? Either way - when there isn't any available reference it comes down to a best guess and so I'd say that the wing tips would be the same colour as the top half of the fuselage.

Something like this:

Left: Underside. Right: Topside
« Last Edit: 04-03-2015, 21:03:36 by Josh094 »

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05-03-2015, 08:03:07 »
Well, the Roland's fuselage was constructed by forming strips of plywood over a wooden buck, with a canvas covering. Any framework would be hidden. Earlier pictures of this aircraft don't show any sort of line on the fuselage, so there must have been 2 colours.

If you look at the third paint scheme, that's one with a similar paintjob, but on the archive photo, the brown/green looks darker.

Anyway, thanks for your effort.

J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05-03-2015, 14:03:20 »
I have done some work on it, and I will send it to you when it is done but it's not an image which interests me greatly so It is harder to work on it for prolonged periods of time, also i'm not going to remove the water marks - they were put there for a reason.

Weee  ;D

Nah they wernt allways, obviously mr NAC dont own nor take this pitcture from the 1930's, the watermark is just as legit as the watersmarks on pictures from ww2. its just really annoying and screwing it up :p But hey, youre the boss man (y)