Author Topic: Adding rifle to the mortar kit  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
Re: Adding rifle to the mortar kit
« Reply #30 on: 05-10-2009, 18:10:48 »
Good that you finally got it.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #31 on: 06-10-2009, 02:10:55 »
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Taikasaapas

• Tali-Ihantala
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06-10-2009, 12:10:20 »

That he rifle should be taken out, nobody wants it, or it is a "uber kit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KC-V1RjEH8&feature=related Kun tilanne oli pahimmillaan. When the situation was dire.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #33 on: 07-10-2009, 01:10:42 »

That he rifle should be taken out, nobody wants it, or it is a "uber kit?

Yes.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline HadrianBT

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07-10-2009, 02:10:53 »
I could only find a reference about small arms of a small 5cm mortar crew in Heer (source: www.ostfront.ru, Russian reconstructors of German WW2 army, website available in Russian/English/German). It consisted of 3 members: commander (rifle), cremember #1 (pistol), crewmember #2 (pistol).
Assuming that the crew commander wasn't actually using the mortar himself, he was effectively performing the functions of the scout class currently ingame, which indeed has a rifle.

I would also assume that, since 81 mm mortar was considered "heavy" (until many captured 120 mm ones were introduced) and had a higher typical engagement range, its crew of 6 men most likely had a maximum of 1 rifle for the commander. However, I couldn't find a source which would explicitly say that.

On the other hand, when the Russians are in game, I would prefer to have them authentically having rifles, since every crewmember even for a 120 mm mortar was issued a rifle (whether thay actually carried it with them all the time remains a question) and the commander was sometimes an SMG later in the war.

I didn't find anything on the British and US mortar crews, but I wasn't even looking  ;)
Proud member of CWC dev team (voice-recording).
"im sorry,but you sound like an old grumpy man listening to rock music" AngryBeaver
"Some argue that the only thing in the world you cannot get used to is an icicle up yours, because it will melt" Kelmola

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07-10-2009, 02:10:21 »
http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn1681okt39.htm

Granatwerferschützen (1 zugl.Werferführer, 1 zugl. Fernsprecher für 2 Satz kl.Fernsprechgerät), 3x Pistole, 3x Karabiner, 1x s.Gr.W.

So 3 rifles, 3 pistols.

Offline HadrianBT

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07-10-2009, 05:10:10 »
Good find, thanks!

Well, according to this data the heavy mortar crew is equipped somewhat better than the light one, with the ratio of rifles being 50%, while it is 33.(3)% for 5 cm mortar.

But then, we don't have the horses, so this eliminates all the chance to get our mortar crews completely realistic  :(
"im sorry,but you sound like an old grumpy man listening to rock music" AngryBeaver
"Some argue that the only thing in the world you cannot get used to is an icicle up yours, because it will melt" Kelmola

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07-10-2009, 06:10:12 »
Np ;3  That website is always quite useful :)

And aye, no horses :P  Let us all hope that 20 years from now in FH6.0, we'll have 1000 player servers where we can actually do crews :P

Offline HadrianBT

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07-10-2009, 06:10:27 »
20 years is not too much, I hope I'll be still be able to play some games ;)

But then... imagine you'll be a driver in an Elefant and there are up to five other guys in the tank spamming "Angreifen!" (most likely only two - MG gunner and main gunner), because they are BORED and there is no way you are going to get "closer to the real action", which means less than 1 km!

But this reminds me of myself, when I was looking forward to such games as FH2 and there was only UT and HL1 available (and one of the earlier versions of CS). And we are only 10 years away from then.

A little off-topic, I'm sorry.