Author Topic: Flamethrower  (Read 9062 times)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
Flamethrower
« on: 13-11-2009, 15:11:27 »
So yesterday evening I got kicked out of 79th for (inadvertent) teamkilling while using the flamethrower on PdH rather, erm, carelessly. Which motivated me to start this topic. (Yes, I care only about things that go boom or burn, see my satchel thread and extensive posting in the Panzerfaust thread.)

- Against infantry. This seems to be quite random (for me). Sometimes even brushing the flames is enough to instakill (at least me, lol). Sometimes you have to bar-b-q the enemy for several seconds before a kill is awarded, if any. Is this due to lag?

- Against vehicles (Lüttich). No succesfull kills yet (haven't tested eg. against empty friendlies in singleplayer, since I can ask here ;)), but it does seem to freak the living daylights out of tank drivers, whether it causes damage or not. Of course, any tank riders on the deck do become crispy critters in the process.

- Memo to self: do not run forwards while firing the flamethrower. ;D
- Second memo to self: do not expect that the flame will go through the bocage, especially if you are standing with your nose to the bushes.

- THE weapon for epic staircase fights in the Lüttich church. Might be useful in the cityfight, too, IF one survives long enough to carry it there?

- So it only spawns on the LCAs in PdH. Would it be worthwhile to get one there (spawn, get grappling hook kit, shoot rope, get flamer kit, climb, walk across half the map only to be shot by an unseen sniper) to aid in taking the hard-to-cap Farm?

Comments? Suggestions?
« Last Edit: 13-11-2009, 15:11:08 by Kelmola »

Offline Gl@mRock

• À vaincre sans périls, on triomphe sans gloire.
    • View Profile
Re: Flamethrower
« Reply #1 on: 13-11-2009, 15:11:51 »
I used it against a stug once, it did record some damage but minimal, I guess.
The poor lads who spawn on the tanks were not as fortunate, for them it was hell.   8)
It was the only time I used the flamethrower...

Offline Capten_C

• Well well well well well well well
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: 13-11-2009, 17:11:38 »

- Against vehicles (Lüttich). No succesfull kills yet (haven't tested eg. against empty friendlies in singleplayer, since I can ask here ;)), but it does seem to freak the living daylights out of tank drivers, whether it causes damage or not. Of course, any tank riders on the deck do become crispy critters in the process.

Comments? Suggestions?

Sprayed an unsuspecting hanomag with it on this map, I'd walked a fair while with it from the church intending to create some carnage in the two town flags, not an immidiate kill..but 5-6 secs later after i stopped spraying, it killed the driver inside, a terrible way to die!
LEGENDARY FORGOTTEN HOPE 2 ROUNDS!!! >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtJF9fL1YI

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #3 on: 13-11-2009, 17:11:49 »
Well, I think how the flamethrower works is each trail of fire (5 in a burst) is a projectile.  These act like s-mines, only with fire coming off them.  Thats why I think its sporadic against infantry, it may not do any damage until the projectiles have hit the surface (i think).

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-11-2009, 17:11:59 »
Killed my own squad with this thing. True story.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Kildar

• Have a nice day.
    • View Profile
rek
« Reply #5 on: 13-11-2009, 20:11:19 »
I've killed a Sherman with it. It was on fire already though. I think the damage vs armor is somewhere about half a bar a second or something.  You can also BBQ people out of the achillies and Wirbelwind.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-11-2009, 22:11:46 »
I've Kentucky-fried an entire enemy squad out of a hanomag with the flamethrower.  And I'm almost positive I've killed enemy infantry with the flames before they hit the ground.

As for the farm question, I've hauled a flamer from the beach all the way there, then flamed the spawn points in the house.  They were crispy before they even fully spawned.  I was killed by friendly arty before graying the flag, though.

Offline Sturmbocke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14-11-2009, 11:11:15 »
Request for everyone: please dont run to that funny looking flame, it kills you and gets me a teamkill.   >:(
"If a Tiger appears, send out a troop of four Sherman to destroy the panzer and expect only one to come home"

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14-11-2009, 13:11:56 »
Good watch for any flamethrower lover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlEa7Ngo0kQ

Flamethrower part starts at 06:20

You can see some very good tips how to use a flamer. I especially like the 09:11 where he spreads the flame all over infront of him and racks up a nice score.
« Last Edit: 14-11-2009, 13:11:39 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-11-2009, 20:11:18 »
Link fail!
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24-11-2009, 21:11:46 »
It was working when he posted it, twit.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-11-2009, 22:11:52 »
I think that guy might have taken the video down because of something I said in the comments.  He had the YouTube Tooltips thingamajigs pulling attention to when he spotted for Arty with his Binocs, then a few seconds later, the Commander Arty rained down on that area and killed several enemies.  He claimed that he called in that arty strike and took credit for all those kills in the Tooltip thing. I pointed out that he was not a Squad Leader, so he couldn't call Comm Arty; moreover, he didn't do the proper action for calling in Comm Arty (with the Comm Rose or Minimap).  I pointed out that all he did was spot for the player controlled mortar, and that the Comm Arty hitting in roughly the same place as his Binoc Spot was just a coincidence.  He quoted the Arty Section of the FH2 Wiki at me, but when I loaded his video up to explain further, I found the video was removed by him.  So...either he took down the video preemptively so the internet couldn't see his shame of being slightly incorrect, or someone beat me to the punch at correcting him and he took it down because of that.

Or some other reason that doesn't involve me at all.  It's a shame, because, besides the minor incorrect Arty thing, it was a cool video showcasing epic moments in FH2.  So basically, it was free publicity for FH2, that just disappeared because some jackass was too proud to admit he was wrong about a game mechanic.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24-11-2009, 23:11:16 »
He reuploaded a fixed version on Nov15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXZOi5WJGgc

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25-11-2009, 00:11:33 »
You gotta be careful. For me the flamethrower is lagging. Which means that the bursts do not get released when you press the mouse button. It is delayed. I use the flamethrower like a M1 Carbine, pressing the fire button about 2 times per second. However there is a minimum size of a burst and a minimum time it takes to release a single burst. If you fire twice during the time it takes to release 1 burst, the second burst will be launched as soon as the device is ready again. Unfortunately this might be already after you've moved or turned around, thus you barbeque yourself or a teammate. As I do about 6 to 10 bursts per attack-move, usually the last 2 or 3 bursts end up somewhere where i did not want them to be fired at.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline General Tso

• Head Chump
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25-11-2009, 03:11:41 »
From that video, I didn't know the flamethrower had that range.  Good to know.

Do the tanks explode when shot?