Author Topic: Siege of Giarabub 64  (Read 22290 times)

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
Siege of Giarabub 64
« on: 29-03-2009, 12:03:45 »
"If you have a suggestions or want to give us some Feedback about this Map you can Post it here!"

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Siege of Giarabub 64
« Reply #1 on: 24-04-2009, 16:04:22 »
Why is Giarabub on the test server atm? Are you changing something or testing the ranking system?

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-04-2009, 17:04:24 »
Spies everywhere! This is madness!

To not be so OT though, I suggest that the giarabub fortress would be more like an actual fortress and not a swiss chese. Getting rid of one or two "hole in the wall" would bring more action to the outskirts.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #3 on: 24-04-2009, 18:04:26 »
I agree that maybe one of the medium popularity holes should go - make the brits use their grappling hooks for once.

My thoughts on the internal combat are thus: Its a tough fight with enemies round every corner.  The various paths create a maze, and its often for enemy troops to appear behind your teams lines.  Some of the fights for the barracks flag are very intense, and this is the area I like to concentrate my efforts in.

I have just one suggestion I'd metion: once the breda 37 tripod is fixed, there should be a couple more of them; one at the fortress and one at the mosque.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-04-2009, 20:04:33 »
I wanted to report breda 37 tripod no dmg/hit bug but it seems it was reported, was it? I didn't see any thread in this matter.

Offline Lobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-04-2009, 20:04:10 »
I want to stress one fact: Giarabub is not an invention of my mind, is built from real life pictures, so if there is a gate or hole in the map is because it exists in the real fortress (some corners doesn't appear in any pic so I used artistic license but well, the map is fairly acurate)

It has 6 gates, a moderately competent team will defend them pretty well, and only the 3 hook kits can add some excitement to that job. If there is no teamplay that's another matter, it could have only one gate and your lonewolves crew still will fail

Pic attached

The breda 37 is fixed, Kubador

« Last Edit: 24-04-2009, 20:04:53 by Lobo »

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #6 on: 24-04-2009, 20:04:07 »
When researching on Jalo oasis I met a person on a WW2 forum who knew everything about the war in North-Africa, when I told him about FH2 and this map he suggested I should do Giarabub when I was finished then I showed him your map and he said it was very well done, everything matches except the size but he understands it's a game. Compliments from Kuno, Lobo  :P
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24-04-2009, 20:04:15 »
What forum was that? dutch or english?

edit. nvm, found it.
« Last Edit: 24-04-2009, 20:04:53 by Ts4EVER »

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24-04-2009, 21:04:54 »
Oh well historical accuracy comes first, I guess. Now when I look at it you made a really detailed map Lobo - my hat is off to you.

Unfortunately from my gaming experience a well organised team can hold giarabub 'pure' only if allies are incompetent and unaware of grappling hook kits.

I'm glad breda was fixed tho, it gave me a lot of frustration.

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04-05-2009, 09:05:42 »
Although there are many gates, they shouldn't all be usable. Did the Italians not barricade, or at least lock some of them? Thats what I would have done... (Note that this is more of a question than a suggestion, I don't have any info on how the actual battle took place)

In any case, this is one of my favourite maps right now, so keep it or change it, I will love it no matter what.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16-06-2009, 15:06:27 »
exactly what kradovech said. Tgey would have barricaded the slimmest of them, leaving only the East and west gates open. Also, It's not very sniper-friendly. The only tall thing is the mosque tower, and it's almost pre-targeted for artillery. Giving it some more open buildings, like ones with opening doors and windows would be excellent, especially at the west gate.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16-06-2009, 18:06:08 »
I must say that at first I thought it was way too easy for the Aussies to win this map, but in the past few months I have seen better battles on this map, with more or less equal results in Axis and Allied victories. So maybe it was just a long startup with the playerbase/community needing a long time to adapt to this map and its gameplay.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28-09-2009, 00:09:07 »
Very little to criticise about AI in this map

Only think I do say is:

Let Italians use the AT gun

MOst imporrtant, allow bots to climb upstairs in all areas that allow it as well as use/ spawn @ the mgs defending the courtyard

Fun map though... Probably one of the most solid AI

Offline Roden

• Make war not love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14-12-2009, 00:12:51 »
Are the grabbling hook removed? can't find them anywhere since normandy

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #14 on: 14-12-2009, 00:12:09 »
Are the grabbling hook removed? can't find them anywhere since normandy

Yes.  The only hooks in the mod are on PDH.  It was something to do with both rope lengths drawing on the same file and causing hilarious but gamebreaking consequences.