Author Topic: Fixes to older maps: Commander and spawn  (Read 1409 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Fixes to older maps: Commander and spawn
« on: 26-05-2010, 08:05:02 »
So I wanted to suggest (especially to Remick), if someone could try to fix the ai on these maps

Supercharge:
/Spawning around the 88s, there should be four spawn areas, the small lookout bunker atop the hill (so bots may use the single mg), the main bunker (so bots are more inclined to use the mgs), the rear bunker (so bots use the halftruck) and the trench linking the 88s (I believe this is as it is now for obvious reasons)

/Spawning at the Pak38/ cave base... Spawning in the caverns, spawning in the overlooking bunker (so bots use the mg atop it), spawn at the rear bunker (so bots use the AT gun)

/spawning at first base on the way to the town i.e the AA small town, spawining in the building where the mg is, spawning near those large rocks (so the PAK38 gets used)

/spawning at the second line base, after the dunes, defended  by the Pak38 atop the trench. Only spawn inclusion should be the mg bunker, if it isn't already part

/Spawn in the front-side of the town - Spawn area in the command building with the mg, spawning near the ack-ack.

/Spawn near the pak38 looking out from the front of the town, not the mobile one guarding the rear area... The Brits get to the town front with only the ack-ack to worry about.

/Supercharge commander AI - The British ai commander tells his men to bypass the last base before the town making it a threat due to simple neglect, the British commander then tells his men to abondon the attack once all but the town are capped, telling them instead to defend the uncap main base. The German commander tells his men to defend the town in an endless radio spam rather than try to break out once all but the town are capped

Alamein:

/Pathmapping - There is a single PzIII at the rear 88 cap-base (the one that mirrors the allied one), which seems out of the pathmap area cuz it never gets used

/ Commander ai has some conflicting commands, eg. the British commander tells his army to attack the uncap German main once Kidney ridge is captured, I think the Germans have their own wierd commands

Mersa Matru:

/Pathmapping - A PzIII at the isolated southern German base i.e the one near the beach, gets stuck on the flag when it tries to move out. A tweak in tank path might help

/Commander AI needs total overhaul since he keeps telling the British to defend one base, and instantly changes to another, making him radio spam once any single base is capped by the Germans. German commander also has some issues in his orders

Sidi Rezegh

/I think the apartment building i.e the one with the intricate tunneling and mg positions could do with a bit more spawn areas that allow all its mg defenses to be used

/Some work on spawn areas or paths to make bots more likely to use all the Pak38s and mg defenses around the airfield, currently the only defense is the 88, and it seems only one of these are accesible to bots

/Also, I think the cap area should be exclusively underground so that bots need to make use of WinterHilf's painstaken pathmaps into the bunker itself in order to cap the flag... Spawn areas in that area should be of more priority, and should never be in the flag room itself, so that cappers can get a breather without Gerry spawning right around them, yet allowing some interesting bunker fighting

Siege of Tobruk:
/Pathmapping, A PazIII that spawns at the main base gets stuck against the flag pole and is abondoned, some path work will help

Fall of Tobruk:
/Pathmap: For some reason no Stuart gets used in this map, may lack pathmaps to them

Bardia:
/Perfect functional, but unreleased. If you can get your hand on this and make it COOP compatible as well its current SP compatibility - Its already good for 64 and 16 sized maps.

Newer maps

Point du Hoc:
/Seemingly no pathmap to the flak vierling so it never gets used

Other - Later projects
Btw, @ Remick.. Excellent work on pathmapping Cobra, you proved once and for all, that the church tower is perfectly navmesh-able. I was sniping the main base once and had my squad spawn on me and move gracefully downstairs.

I think this could be replicated in all maps with the church. Also, with ladders now an option, such a place as the mosque in Mersa Matru could have the tower totally meshed so a sniper i.e moi, can be caught offguard by a soldier climbing up to kill him

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
Re: Fixes to older maps: Commander and spawn
« Reply #1 on: 31-05-2010, 20:05:18 »
Thanks Djinn I'll add these to the list of things to do :)

Unfortunately, I can’t edit the pathfinding for old maps without regenerating the navmesh. Again, I'm not above doing this, but my focus is elsewhere for the time being. I do want to regenerate a few maps like Fall of Tobruk and Point Du Hoc because they could do with some fixing. But I'm focusing on getting navmeshes for maps that don't have them first. Unfortunately I've been really busy these past few weeks and will be very busy for a while, so it will be some time before I can get anything new out. But I haven't given up!

Keep pointing me in the direction of things that need improving though, I can't promise I'll get to them soon, but I will try to get to them. And I'm glad you notice the Church on Cobra. I worked really hard on hand creating that church tower, but figure no one would notice because it's an area that sees very little combat. I started out operating under the philosophy that there should be no place a human can go that a bot can't follow (safe for areas only accessed by ladders). Unfortunately found this philosophy to be too time consuming and tedious. So I have since amended that philosophy. I still try and create navmesh for buildings like churches or anything with strategic importance. But if it's some building off in the corner of the map that's not going to see a lot of action, I tend to leave it alone for the sake of time.

I haven’t had much luck with ladders yet, but I’ll keep at it. Thanks again ;)

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #2 on: 02-06-2010, 13:06:56 »
I played some SP last night, Siege of Giarabub, I shot 5 italians at point blank with ma'thompsons - the particle simulation for their blood was coming out of them like a lawn sprinkler system, I guess you guys know about that, but I thought it was funny, shame the physics wouldn't allow blood splatter on player models I would have looked like nutz
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-06-2010, 13:06:30 »
I played some SP last night, Siege of Giarabub, I shot 5 italians at point blank with ma'thompsons - the particle simulation for their blood was coming out of them like a lawn sprinkler system, I guess you guys know about that, but I thought it was funny, shame the physics wouldn't allow blood splatter on player models I would have looked like nutz

does this only happen in Giarabub ? I haven't seen it elsewhere

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #4 on: 02-06-2010, 13:06:46 »

does this only happen in Giarabub ? I haven't seen it elsewhere

I think it's just with the Italian army - likewise I haven't noticed it on Germans, or US troops, nor British.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-06-2010, 21:06:16 »
Commander and AI fixes should be easily doable, I'll try and include as many of these as possible in the next release of my minimod, since it needs to include map files anyway for the new SP-only modified artillery.

One other map issue I've noticed is that bots never use the Lewis MGs on Siege of Tobruk. I assume this is a pathmapping issue, as bots can use Lewises on other maps like El Alamein and Sidi Rezegh.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-06-2010, 14:06:12 »
More tweak work that I think Remick might want to note:
Luttich would work better if field spawn flags were also made cap-able. Battles would spread out beyond the town and make the map so much more fun.

Mg positions, besides the lafette, in phl should be team-locked to prevent americans sitting on them idly, as all of them face the wrong way.

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-06-2010, 15:06:25 »

Luttich would work better if field spawn flags were also made cap-able.

look for something like this towards the bottom of the GPO,or search for
"ObjectTemplate.unableToChangeTeam 1"

rem -------------------------------------
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate flagpole
rem -------------------------------------
ObjectTemplate.setControlPointName CP_64_Crete1941_GermanAirBase
ObjectTemplate.radius 20
ObjectTemplate.team 1
ObjectTemplate.controlPointId 101
ObjectTemplate.unableToChangeTeam 1
ObjectTemplate.hoistMinMax 0.2/0.9

and delete this