Author Topic: Player base development - How do we keep this mod alive?  (Read 11088 times)

Offline Striktarn

• View Profile
Re: Player base development - How do we keep this mod alive?
« Reply #90 on: 29-06-2014, 16:06:57 »
..so why not remove that K/D stat?

This, and further increase points for teamplay activities such as capping flags and repairing vehicles. Also, the TK-punishment is sometimes inaccurate, e.g. when someone bails the vehicle you're driving and dies. That's not a TK. One way to deal with this is to always ask the one who died if said person wants to forgive the TK. This would also let players forgive TKs done by stepping on friendly S-mines. When I accidently do this I tend to say 'sorry' because it was due to my inattention.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 29-06-2014, 16:06:11 »
That's ok Roughbeak, it ends there.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 29-06-2014, 17:06:36 »
Damaso, if I hear one more passive aggressive thread derailing quip from you, I will perma ban you.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 29-06-2014, 19:06:45 »
If you want to know who is really playing for K/D then better take a look at who is playing commander often or arty...
Implying those two are not extremely important for the team.

I did not say they are not important. That's your interpretation. What I can tell you for sure is that I rather have Major Koenig or Sarcgcoresi capping flags instead of a statswhore blasting arty shell after arty shell. I consider arty less important than infantry, but that is something different than what you suggested. Respawn times in FH2 are so short that arty is not effective enough compared to the effectiveness of a good working infantry. Infantry is the backbone of every army and that's not any different in FH2.

Offline brcd.

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 29-06-2014, 20:06:49 »
As a squad leader I actually appreciate it alot when I can get some decent arty support for my squad to be able to advance. The big problem with most of the people on arty is that they prefer spots with more "kills" rather than strategical spots. So in essence, arty never falls where you really need it most. :-\

By the way, I'm a "veteran" player but I am new to this forum and this is my first post. So in that case: Hi everybody!  ;D

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 29-06-2014, 21:06:16 »
Ahoy and welcome!

Just a quick reply on the arty subject: I usually wait for some half a minute to see if there's aynthing going on with a certain spot. If that spot dragged me away from another one where an entire squad was ripe for taking, I'll go back to the first one.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't tell you immediately why is something spotted, i.e. what the spotter wanted you to see.  Many a time the empty field is just a location where the enemy tank used to be.

So anyhow, I would suggest you type a short "shoot here we need support to advance", since the view of the target is too narrow to see what is going on there on a bigger scale. Or communicate directly with the gunner, it sure helps if he is in your squad so he can effectively support you. Which is what I'll try to do more often, join a squad while manning artillery.
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 29-06-2014, 21:06:27 »
I did not say they are not important. That's your interpretation. What I can tell you for sure is that I rather have Major Koenig or Sarcgcoresi capping flags instead of a statswhore blasting arty shell after arty shell. I consider arty less important than infantry, but that is something different than what you suggested. Respawn times in FH2 are so short that arty is not effective enough compared to the effectiveness of a good working infantry. Infantry is the backbone of every army and that's not any different in FH2.

Without the "statswhore" (who has a boring job most of the time btw) infantry would never manage to cap a flag on half of the FH2 maps. We can throw insults around, but the fact is that every element of the army in FH2 is important for success.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 29-06-2014, 22:06:59 »
I wouldn't call myself a statwhore, but if I see an empty howitzer when the bulk of my team is attacking, say, Church on Vossenack, I'll get on it and try to help. Sure I hate it when the arty player on the opposite team just denies access to a bottleneck to our team and there's no way to kill him but that's a part of the game I can live with.
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline Gotkai

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 29-06-2014, 22:06:52 »
I can't remember one flag, where  artillery is necessary. So
For some flags it is useful, but far from necessary.
In many cases artillery is even far from useful, in cases when the whole squad including SL is teamkilled with 1 single artillery shell.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 29-06-2014, 23:06:03 »
In many cases artillery is even far from useful, in cases when the whole squad including SL is teamkilled with 1 single artillery shell.

Any flag on pretty much every NA map. A round without artillery on NA is a total waste, and it's the reason why everyone "hates" the NA maps. Because without artillery, you're not getting anywhere there...

Sidi Rezegh is a classic example. Without securing a necessary amount of artillery (the Blockhouse) it's almost impossible to push the Germans off the Airfield, if they know what they're doing. Almost the same situation when the tables turn, although the Germans do have an advantage of not being easily blown to bits by long 88s on their approach.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 30-06-2014, 09:06:12 »
By the way, I'm a "veteran" player but I am new to this forum and this is my first post. So in that case: Hi everybody!  ;D

Hey man  :D

Anyway, i think that no matter how much "PR" is made and how much the community "lightens its mood up", still our numbers will probably go periodically down, specially when those indie WW2 games be released. Honestly, the best way to keep it going as much times as possible, is mod updates IMO, new maps, and the eastern front....

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 30-06-2014, 13:06:29 »

Hey man  :D

Anyway, i think that no matter how much "PR" is made and how much the community "lightens its mood up", still our numbers will probably go periodically down, specially when those indie WW2 games be released. Honestly, the best way to keep it going as much times as possible, is mod updates IMO, new maps, and the eastern front....
Of course the aging BF2 engine doesn't have the slightest hope of making through another decade, but all promising indie WW2 games are still years away... if CoH eastern front mod popularity is anything to go by, FH2 will receive a good long term boost to playerbase through EF release.

And those games will be more about small scale clashes with couple of ground vehicles, they won't be even close to a full scale BF experience.
« Last Edit: 30-06-2014, 13:06:47 by Leopardi »

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 01-07-2014, 04:07:09 »

Any flag on pretty much every NA map. A round without artillery on NA is a total waste, and it's the reason why everyone "hates" the NA maps. Because without artillery, you're not getting anywhere there...

Sidi Rezegh is a classic example. Without securing a necessary amount of artillery (the Blockhouse) it's almost impossible to push the Germans off the Airfield, if they know what they're doing. Almost the same situation when the tables turn, although the Germans do have an advantage of not being easily blown to bits by long 88s on their approach.

You are mixing things up . There is a difference between arty beeing necessary or being helpful. Right, on Sidi Rezegh it is good for taking out the 88's to help the advance, but in FH2 arty has only an assisting/supportive role and not the impact that infantry has. There are only a few examples where the addition or removal of arty had/has a big impact. There are maybe three maps (Siege of Tobruk, Brest and Sidi Rezegh) where arty can play a critical role. All other 37 maps (including meatgrinders like Omaha) are won by infantry capping flags. Now put that into relation and you know what Gotkai and I are talking about. Infantry comes first, then tanks and after that airplanes/arty and the commander is on the same level of uselessness as the medic kit. Just look how far you will get on Gazala without infantry, though this map is especialy tank and airplane dominated.

Funny thing is that all this stuff applies in the real world aswell except the commander and the medic. You won't capture an area just with arty shelling, tanks, planes or airforce bombing it. The infatry is the backbone of every army.

I for one take the arty when I want to drink a beer, but not to have an intense game. It is nice that it is there, but this game lives from other aspects. The thing is that you can't take out any of the combat vehicles including arty etc without f*cking up the immersion and a strong selling point of FH2. It is all a piece of the puzzle and the big picture that makes FH2 unique.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 01-07-2014, 04:07:40 »
On the other hand, in real life artillery caused up to 75% of all combat casualties ;)

Offline Gotkai

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 01-07-2014, 07:07:35 »
But the respawn time was much longer.
It's still a game. With different mechanisms.