Author Topic: Deepwater Horizon  (Read 5658 times)

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #45 on: 15-06-2010, 09:06:59 »
Okok, young turks, i know some of you don't like him, but just ignore what he says and listen to the interview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEfi1x4MY3U

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 21-06-2010, 18:06:30 »
How many days now? (I hope this isn't a repost again)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 21-06-2010, 18:06:25 »
How many days now? (I hope this isn't a repost again)

Awesome sketch

A bit more reality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGX7krQYI_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGX7krQYI_4

R-R-R-R-REPOST!

You just posted the other link of my post. lol

Anyway, it appears now that this is the second biggest spill ever. The first being the destruction off the oil wells in Gulf war 1.

They also keep admitting over and over again that the leak is bigger then they said, the number is at 9 500 000 liters of oil a day now. I wonder what i will be next week.

Also, some eyewitness reports.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kjw3_bMk8o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwEqnGrQY2Q&NR=1

The thing that strikes me is that how is it possible that BP can make it illigal to see/film/got to the effected beaches. Isnt that public property?

if only this was possible :/
« Last Edit: 21-06-2010, 19:06:42 by siben »

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 21-06-2010, 21:06:22 »
Such bullshit. If the damn environmentalist fruitcakes didn't make these oil companies drill so far off shore, to the point of where they could of handled a disaster like this in the first place with divers, then it would never of escalated to the mess it's at now. Yet, they're never put in the spot light for ANY of this. I HATE the freakin' OMG, lets go green people..
Or one could setup common sense and fair boundries and regulations (via the goverment) to  ensure that the hunt for more profit/energy-sources/energy-independance/whateveryouwanttolavelit/ is only done when it doesn't damange the enviroment (beyond reasonable/compensatable impact) and that there are proper regulations concerning health, safety and the enviroment incase there is an incident of some sort (and that these regulations are ofcourse abided obviously).

Or to put it differently: ensure that the long term impact to our society and this planet is ensured rather then going for the short time gains. But that's something big business seems to forget, rather scoring an extra profit in the short term regardless of the long term risks/results. You can't trust either big business or big goverment. Both will nail you if if they see an oppertunity to do so. Got to love the old boys network.

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 21-06-2010, 22:06:15 »
i dont get all the shit BP is getting for the oilspill....

Are you right when being mad at BP for how they handle it or how safety standards were ignored? i would agree all the way.

But Anyone who drives a car takes the risk of platform or oiltanker accidents. you can argue how it this wouldnt have happened would safety standards been respected, but you cant be 100% riskfree.

Just like how its accepted that the envirement got screwed the past 40 years cause of it, and the ten thousands dying every year cause of cars, those who drive cars ( and especially those who thinks its a human right to drive a SUV with a V8 engine to the grocery store 2 streets away ) should accept that now and then there will be oil spills that have disastrous consequences.

Dont blame BP, blame yourself.
"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 21-06-2010, 22:06:12 »
I think BP is 100% responsible. Main reason being that you don't start something when you know that if it goes wrong you have no way of fixing it the first 6 months and that massive local damage will result from it. I don't mind them drilling there, as long as they can close any leak ocuring within lets say 2 weeks.

And i take busses and trains as much as i can, and for less then 10 km i take my bike, less then 1km i walk. Driving is only for when the other options are not possible. and i don't care if it takes me 45 minutes longer to get there with public transport, it is a great place to relax. So i don't blame myself for something like this.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 22-06-2010, 00:06:10 »
A summary of what (might have) happend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMg3iFQZSwA

And a bit more of a conspiracy version (I lol-ed at the queen beatrix comments and the platform being rigged and all... uhuh):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFk2heVRL-o

i dont get all the shit BP is getting for the oilspill....

Are you right when being mad at BP for how they handle it or how safety standards were ignored? i would agree all the way.
Well not just BP but everyone in the chain/piramide who failed to take responsibilty.  The actual operator (Transocean) should know when to say "no, sorry, we have to follow procedures or the risks will become too high" , same for the person hiring/ordering the drilling (BP) should request that the operator delivers quality (= take acceptable risks), while they are ofcourse free to ask if maximum efficiency is being reached (operating swiftly, but within the regulation limits). And the goverment ofcourse who is responsible for issueing various regulations, rules and who's task it is to ensure that no company involved is doing a sloppy job and violating these regulations.

But Anyone who drives a car takes the risk of platform or oiltanker accidents. you can argue how it this wouldnt have happened would safety standards been respected, but you cant be 100% riskfree.
Indeed, for a 100% risk free world we'd simply have to kill ourselves off. Then there would be nothing left for us to worry about, nothing that could harm us any longer...  the key here is balance, achieving an acceptable amount of risk so that it's worth doing it.  Taking a car is a risk, it's small enough of a risk (in chanches of having an accident/incident and numbers if lifes lost, aftermath effects etc.) for most people to be worth it.  That' why the goverments are (or atleast are supposed to) draw up regulations that ensure that only acceptable risks are taken. Be it from demanding certain quality/safety aspects for cars or when it comes to running a certain industry. Idealy a group of independant experts can weight the various factors and come to a fair balance and set up regulations accordingly. The risk ofcourse here is that with politics, special interests groups may try to, directly and indirectly, push for tightening or relaxing certain laws and regulations.

And don't get me started about self regulation...

Just like how its accepted that the envirement got screwed the past 40 years cause of it, and the ten thousands dying every year cause of cars, those who drive cars ( and especially those who thinks its a human right to drive a SUV with a V8 engine to the grocery store 2 streets away ) should accept that now and then there will be oil spills that have disastrous consequences.

Dont blame BP, blame yourself.
Blame democracy (oppresion by the majority), human greed, ignorancy and all that. Ideally we'd give all people insight in all of the worlds topics and allow them to make an informed decision to find a balance between gains and damages/risks.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #52 on: 22-06-2010, 12:06:31 »
I just got this weird thought in my head,  check this out...

Plate techtonics, I understand them - I know how they work, friction/heat/liquid combustion

But, do you reckon over the millions of years the earths core has used the natural process of making oil as part of it's own natural cycle... Like, maybe - it burns oil as well as the friction process, which generates more heat combustion in turn keeps the world moving, or - the oil layer creates a barrier that shields the outer crusts from minimal dgrees of heat fromt he earths core, but could be a contributor to the climate change, as they say 3 more degrees change and all the bees die, when the bees die plants die, they die meat dies, meat dies... oh wait that's kinda us.

HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 22-06-2010, 20:06:42 »
Step away of the mushrooms boy...

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 22-06-2010, 21:06:37 »
Ah picture that says more than 1000 words.  ;D

Some people just don't care.  ;D ;D
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 22-06-2010, 23:06:14 »
Donutz, may I ask what kind of car you drive? If it's a electric car, i'm seriously going to laugh. Anyways... I think this blame game is getting old. Especially blamming indiviual selves for choosing to drive a useful, reliable SUV that will get you through any circumstance.  :) It's greed, environmentalist, and partially, BP's, Obama's (for denying international aid at the beginning) and really it can be blamed of virtually everybody...however, like I said... It's time to deal with the issue and enough with everyone trying to cover thier own butts.
« Last Edit: 23-06-2010, 19:06:09 by Oddball »

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #56 on: 23-06-2010, 00:06:06 »
Especially blamming indiviual selves for choosing to drive a useful, reliable SUV that will get you through any circumstance.
Note: See the Top Gear Botswana special.  You don't need a Chelsea Tractor when you can have a VW Mark 1 ;)

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 23-06-2010, 09:06:01 »
Donutz, may I ask what kind of car you drive?
A Peugeot 309.  :P

If it's a electric car, i'm seriously going to laugh. Anyways... I think this blame game is getting old. Especially blamming indiviual selves for choosing to drive a useful, reliable SUV that will get you through any circumstance.  :)
I ain't a fan of SUVs. They are nice to drive over long distances but for basic . commuting you don't really need them. Maybe if you live in some outback farm(village), though then I'd opt for a truck with loading capacity in the back (like a Tayota Helux)..  But in the (sub)urban city a standard saloon car (volkswagen passat, renault megane) will do.

But if I hear about some (sub)urban  family (mom or dad) that uses an SUV to drop of the kids 1-2 km away for school and then drives 10-20 km to an office job in the city I'd  questoin there need for such a car. How about making those kids cycle (or even walk, skate, whatever) to school and how about taking a smaller and just as if not more practical car?

I don't like the look of SUVs either, even if they were the most enviromently clean cars on this planet, too high and bulky for my tastes. Like I said, if you have to drive 300+ km and/or all sorts of junk around they can be very practical but if you ask me too many people drive cars around that they really don't need (fancy offroad capabilities and such for some family that never leaves the asphalt roads of the city they live in anyone? =p ).

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 23-06-2010, 19:06:26 »
Yeah, I suppose if you live in the city, it's not necessary...but then again we can't go around telling people what kind of cars they can drive.  ::) I've always lived in the country and I love it, would have anything else. Plus, my family and I usually go on long vacation, and we need all the room we can get, with enough horsepower to get us where we need to go and clearance, because it usually involves off-roading.  ;) I also love the looks of SUVs, and Pick-ups, if I were to get a car, it would be nothing less than a Cadillac CTS Coupe... >:(...

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 23-06-2010, 22:06:48 »
So, just read an update, did not have many details yet but it basicly said 2 people died and they had to remove the 'cup' that was catching the oil for recovery and it is now running in to the ocean completely free. I wonder what happened.