Author Topic: Singleplayer Patch C for Forgotten Hope 2.45 - DOWNLOAD  (Read 18659 times)

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
Re: Singleplayer Patch C for Forgotten Hope 2.45 - DOWNLOAD
« Reply #45 on: 21-10-2013, 02:10:56 »
I've seen that bug many times, what know for certain is that it is not something that happens only in coop or single player.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 21-10-2013, 06:10:19 »
Jeff, what I know definitely about the autocannon bug, as I call it:
  • It doesn't happen in common local singleplayer, thus can't be connected to any tweaking of vehicles for AI.
  • I know about this bug from my personal experience and reports by Djinn, Ksl and DJ Barney. In all these cases it was a dedicated coop server running on the same PC with the game client.
  • As comrade Korsakov said above, it happens in multiplayer too. TBH, personally I have only vague memories regarding that - maybe I've seen the bug in multiplayer, maybe not.
  • Yes, only one of the shots actually bites.

In other words, I don't know what can probably cause the bug and have to resort to blaming server setups, network issues or an unknown trait of BF2 dedicated server engine.

As for the ticket ratio: I was previously running the server at ratio 175, but was finding the rounds too long. I recently dropped it to 100 as a test, and I'm finding that the round lengths are much better...
Oh yeah, I forgot that a lot of maps still have outdated ticket bleeds. But at least on so called rebuilt maps the round should end quickly after the final objectives are taken.

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 22-10-2013, 14:10:43 »
Jeff, what I know definitely about the autocannon bug, as I call it:
  • It doesn't happen in common local singleplayer, thus can't be connected to any tweaking of vehicles for AI.
So it looks like we're talking about an issue with FH2 in general, not with the Coop patch. I never play local singleplayer and I never play PvP (what you folks call 'multiplayer'), but that seems to be the consensus. Do you know if the main FH2 devs are aware of this issue? Do they agree that it's an issue with the mod in general? Are they working on a fix? Should I report this elsewhere in these forums?

• I know about this bug from my personal experience and reports by Djinn, Ksl and DJ Barney. In all these cases it was a dedicated coop server running on the same PC with the game client.
I can only draw on personal experience, which as I said is limited to a completely separate dedicated server. But I think it's safe to rule out 'client and server on same PC' as a factor in this.

• As comrade Korsakov said above, it happens in multiplayer too. TBH, personally I have only vague memories regarding that - maybe I've seen the bug in multiplayer, maybe not.
If it happens in 'multiplayer' as well, there's one more thing we can rule out: that it has anything to do with bots/AI. Again, this makes it look even more like it's a mod-wide issue. But I have a lot of trouble believing this happens in 'multiplayer', for one simple reason: in 'multiplayer', there are no bots. That means any 'autocannon' that occurs is being initiated by a human. In which case: how are they doing it? Holding down the fire button? Has anyone who has observed this on a 'multiplayer' server ever initiated it?

• Yes, only one of the shots actually bites.
Which helps, in the sense that the bots doing this don't gain any actual advantage. Still, it is distracting. Also, oddly awesome. But not at all realistic, which is kinda the point.

In other words, I don't know what can probably cause the bug and have to resort to blaming server setups, network issues or an unknown trait of BF2 dedicated server engine.
I suppose it's possible that server setup is involved. The only way to rule that out would be to compare setups between servers that have this issue and those that don't. Network issues may also be involved, but I don't think so: network issues would tend to manifest themselves in other ways as well, and I'm just not seeing that. As for it being an issue with the BF2 game engine: I very much doubt that; I've played tons of classic BF2 and never saw anything like this.

I think this is going to turn out to be a data problem with certain weapons in FH2. Then again, if these weapons aren't *actually* firing multiple times, and they only *appear* to be firing multiple times, then it could even be a problem at the client end. I'm going to start asking other players if they're seeing the same autocannon effects that I'm seeing, when I see them.

As for the ticket ratio: I was previously running the server at ratio 175, but was finding the rounds too long. I recently dropped it to 100 as a test, and I'm finding that the round lengths are much better...
Oh yeah, I forgot that a lot of maps still have outdated ticket bleeds. But at least on so called rebuilt maps the round should end quickly after the final objectives are taken.
Right. So far it's kind of a mixed bag. I may just tweak individual maps as I encounter ones that are too short. Meanwhile, it seems mostly fine at 100%.

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 22-10-2013, 21:10:31 »
Here's another video of the autocannon issue: http://youtu.be/fnzxN2bEruw

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 02-11-2013, 08:11:37 »
Sounds drastic. Why not just put a warning like you did with the exiting vehicles in narrow corridors ? Would be a shame to remove them as the AI does use them OK, and the fault lies with DICE/EA not FH.

Anyway, violently having to shoot a bot to get a deployable seems in the spirit of the batty AI  ;D

I agree, I miss beingnable to set up field of fire with bots until they are killed :(

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #50 on: 17-02-2014, 23:02:57 »
Hi, Djinn, long time no see  8)

Talking of bots. Got back to playing patch C. Had a great game in Hyacinth which did not crash in a long game, probably because I got BF2 1.5 set up properly WITH the correct startup Windows switch for full memory.

To build on the greatness that is patch C, in my opinion next we need ...

1. Fixed AI bail out command. With out this transport is almost useless because you can't wizz to a position, dump out bots and then disappear. In other mods you can use this tactic.

2. Fixed artillery and supplies. I know, I know. "Commander is broken in 1.5", blah, blah. But if Commander artillery and supplies in Battlefield 2142 is suddenly NOT broken (as evidenced in this video), then something can be done with it in BF2.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 18-02-2014, 01:02:22 »
Had a great game in Hyacinth which did not crash in a long game, probably because I got BF2 1.5 set up properly WITH the correct startup Windows switch for full memory.
No, the CTDs on Hyacinth are gone because:
CHANGELOG
  • Fixed No3 Mk1 Very (a flare gun) (the cause of CTDs on Hyacinth).

1. Fixed AI bail out command. With out this transport is almost useless because you can't wizz to a position, dump out bots and then disappear. In other mods you can use this tactic.
I can't give you a 100% promise, but there's a significant chance that bots will listen to "bail out" and "get in" commands in the next FH2 release.

2. Fixed artillery and supplies. I know, I know. "Commander is broken in 1.5", blah, blah. But if Commander artillery and supplies in Battlefield 2142 is suddenly NOT broken (as evidenced in this video), then something can be done with it in BF2.
Well, Battlefield 2142 has rather many tasty features BF2 sadly doesn't have.

Strictly speaking, in my experiments I managed to fire commander artillery without sitting in a commander chair. But it would require tremendous efforts to make it work properly. What stops me from making these efforts? It would break balance on all maps where defenders rely on emplaced guns. For example, imagine a human player on Purple Heart Lane destroying the 88 and MGs without even seeing them.

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19-02-2014, 14:02:11 »
I agree on the 'get in'/'get out' commands. One of the reasons I get frustrated when I go back to BF42 is idiot bots driving my vehicles off cliffs and whatnot. BF2's 'get out' really helped with that, so I was sadly disappointed to see it didn't work in FH2. Another place it would be handy is when manning a moveable AT piece: the way it is now, once a bot is in one, I can't kick him out, and as soon as I switch from the 'driver' seat to the gunner seat, the bot starts moving the gun. Annoying.

Regarding map stability: I've gradually pruned down my map list to remove maps that crash the server regularly. I stopped most of the server crashes by keeping out non-PatchC players with a password (cooppatchc). Crashes now are extremely rare. Maps I removed for regularly crashing include Brest (crashes server when Allies take Plaza); Mareth Line (crashes server when Allies take Toujane); and Mount Olympus (crashes server after a few minutes, may be a flag issue). All the other maps appear to be rock solid, except perhaps for Meuse River, which seems to crash once in a while (trigger as yet undetermined).

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #53 on: 21-02-2014, 22:02:44 »
Had a great game in Hyacinth which did not crash in a long game, probably because I got BF2 1.5 set up properly WITH the correct startup Windows switch for full memory.
No, the CTDs on Hyacinth are gone because:
CHANGELOG
  • Fixed No3 Mk1 Very (a flare gun) (the cause of CTDs on Hyacinth).

Ah, and very pretty they are to ! Thank you ! Working spot lights would be good to, plus for some reason I could not enter any of the enemy positions on that map.

I can't give you a 100% promise, but there's a significant chance that bots will listen to "bail out" and "get in" commands in the next FH2 release.

Wow. Which files are you looking at there ? I tried looking at this at one point but could not find the right files. Python ? Vehicles not waiting up is another problem, not just for pick ups. They can be forced to stay still so they can be fixed.

Well, Battlefield 2142 has rather many tasty features BF2 sadly doesn't have.

Strictly speaking, in my experiments I managed to fire commander artillery without sitting in a commander chair. But it would require tremendous efforts to make it work properly. What stops me from making these efforts? It would break balance on all maps where defenders rely on emplaced guns. For example, imagine a human player on Purple Heart Lane destroying the 88 and MGs without even seeing them.

Yes,  the efforts would be better spent on other things if they are that big. Anyway, I've learnt to live with out it now. However, as I was discussing over on BFSP DICE appeared to have fixed the Orbital Strike with patch 1.51. If they broke it with patch 1.5 then they went on to fix it. So there is a chance that the same will happen with Battlefield 2 if enough people bug them about it.

Offline winterhilf

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 20-03-2014, 18:03:13 »
How's the sp coming along with the mod?

Been working on a new navmesh for Crete, this map needs an updated mesh, but is anyone already on it?

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 21-03-2014, 14:03:02 »
I can reply for the official SP - it's coming along slowly but steadily. There will be quite a bunch of changes in the next release.

Been working on a new navmesh for Crete, this map needs an updated mesh, but is anyone already on it?
Nope, no one is on Crete, AFAIK.

Wow. Which files are you looking at there ? I tried looking at this at one point but could not find the right files. Python ? Vehicles not waiting up is another problem, not just for pick ups. They can be forced to stay still so they can be fixed.
Python is not responsible for that. The files in menu_server.zip are the key. Anyway, don't worry, we've got a solution already, so now I can finally give a 80-90% promise ;)

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #56 on: 22-03-2014, 22:03:45 »

Python is not responsible for that. The files in menu_server.zip are the key. Anyway, don't worry, we've got a solution already, so now I can finally give a 80-90% promise ;)

That would help taking difficult enemy positions  :). At the moment I end up as the lone wolf soldier, especially when trying to take that tricky rear Axis position on Gazala. I'll have a look at menu_server,zip, thanks.

Still looking at double fire issue on coop servers. Need to do some comparing with other mods that don't have this issue.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 23-03-2014, 11:03:59 »
... I'll have a look at menu_server,zip, thanks.
My advice is don't waste your time on this, we already have a working solution in the internal beta, it seems.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #58 on: 23-03-2014, 14:03:18 »
No, this is not for FH but for my own curiosity and learning of BF modding. That might come in useful for other FH problems.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 29-03-2014, 17:03:08 »
Hello folks,

Long time no see here.

I can reply for the official SP - it's coming along slowly but steadily. There will be quite a bunch of changes in the next release.

I am really really glad to hear that  ;D

You should know that I really really appreciate your hard work. I can say the same for most other SPers out there.