Author Topic: We Need this. Dynamic Sky  (Read 3837 times)

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
Re: We Need this. Dynamic Sky
« Reply #30 on: 25-06-2010, 02:06:21 »
What about on a purely naval map? (Which will probably never come to be cause naval warfare has its own set of obstacles.) However, there would be few or no statics at all in such a map.

Good suggestion! you can't really find statics perhaps except some random trees on a random pacific "island". And if it is purely naval I guess we don't need to go so detailed into fishes and corals? (sharks awww)

btw, I have watched his video of changeable sights, I think it could enhance tanks a lot,

for example, we could have changeable tank sights, or a binoculars view/zoomed view. This would not really make tanks overpower as it just give players with poorer monitors/eyesight an easier time playing. Oh, and does this means that we could have multiple vehicle speed also?
« Last Edit: 25-06-2010, 03:06:37 by General_Henry »

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25-06-2010, 03:06:51 »
or air map.. atleast i wouldnt care about the shadows of some hangar.. the action is in the air!

This.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25-06-2010, 03:06:43 »
Then if it could be used at BoB 24/7 with enough tickets to last 7-8 hours/game....Hmmm Sounds nice...

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25-06-2010, 05:06:32 »
yep, only possible on relatively flat maps with next to no statics or overgrowth.

Theoretically you can export the statics as bundledmeshes (same as vehicles) so that they cast dynamic shadows. However, it is not possible for maps with more then 10 different statics as it requires firstly too much work and secondly would be bad on performance.

If we ever make a battle of the atlantic style map, could look into it. Or a desert map with next to no statics.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25-06-2010, 08:06:21 »
You guys should really read the actual thread that was posted on the PR forums http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-pr-bf2-general-discussion/82680-dynamic-sky.html
it has alota useful information...

A quote from Mosquill himself:

"Ok, first of all, this is WIP, so keep that in mind. Secondly, it IS bf2. Thirdly, dynamic sky's main purpose is to serve as a base for the weather system I'll be working on, day/night cycle is just a bonus ability.

I've already thought about the lightmaps issue months ago, and I have a few workarounds in mind. One of them is to only have ambient occlusion on the lightmaps without shadows from the sun, the sun shadows will be rendered via dynamic shadows. The dynamic shadows draw distance can be increased to 400m (50m currently), and its resolution can also be increased. With this method you'll have both lightmaps and working sun shadows on statics.

Also, like some people have already mentioned, lightmaps won't be a problem if the sky only changes for just a few hours. Which btw, is what i intended it to be like anyway."

He also went on to say that the impact on preformance was about 0....

IMO it would be a wonderful feature... something the devs could def look into for certain maps (dawn/dusk types) when they have the time... I'm sure it's not #1 on their priority list right now, but it could be a great feature.
« Last Edit: 25-06-2010, 08:06:02 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25-06-2010, 08:06:20 »
Sorry for the double post... but also, if you check out his youtube channel, he's worked out alota other great things for BF2; double animations, 3D huds, thermal imaging, 2 different ways of sighting the same weapon... The man def. knows his way around this game.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mosquill#p/u/1/ELkeoI-MyAg

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25-06-2010, 09:06:49 »
Those videos have been posted already.

And we all hope to see working Piat sights and undeploy animations on bayonets.
« Last Edit: 25-06-2010, 09:06:55 by Paavopesusieni »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25-06-2010, 19:06:27 »
... and undeploy animations on bayonets.

on everything

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25-06-2010, 21:06:49 »
Most of those other videos are of the BF2142 engine, not BF2

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 26-06-2010, 23:06:35 »
Most of those other videos are of the BF2142 engine, not BF2

Thermal imaging, backup sights, double animations is all for bf2
« Last Edit: 26-06-2010, 23:06:26 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01-07-2010, 20:07:17 »
I read the OP and the first few posts and thought "Mosquill".
And sure enough...  ;D

This is awesome, though knowing Mosquill's track record I worry there's going to be some catch that makes it useless :( . I hope to be proven wrong.

As for the criticism... obviously we're not going to have maps lasting 24+ hours, but they do sometimes last half an hour or more, and making it so that a map for example starts dark and then grows gradually brighter would be awesome. For example an assault map where attackers should make the most of the cover of darkness and advance quickly, because towards the end of the round, things will be bright enough for the other team to see them easily.

The sun moving that quickly looks too unrealistic, I would suggest making it real time or closer to real-time, but that's just me
Yeah, 'cause he obviously intends for the end product to be like that. Days lasting ten seconds would fit Project Reality so well.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02-07-2010, 14:07:05 »
For project reality that would be awesome.For FH2 we need 1000+ tickets for this to work right .