Author Topic: We Need this. Dynamic Sky  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: We Need this. Dynamic Sky
« Reply #15 on: 22-06-2010, 17:06:06 »
The sun moving that quickly looks too unrealistic, I would suggest making it real time or closer to real-time, but that's just me
pfft, just look at the movements by the player. How the gun/hands moves up and down. clearly shows that it is sped up a lot.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline [A9]Bard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22-06-2010, 19:06:02 »
Would be nice bcuz it would show the length of a battle as in WWII. Or atleast give that feeling to it.
Now the feeling is like oh the allies/axis won this battle in few hours and we know that most of the missions/battles took far longer.

Well cool anyways.

Thank you FH-Team! This mod/game rocks!

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22-06-2010, 19:06:04 »
You will never see something like that in any bf2 mod, never!
It just won't work with correct lightmaps.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22-06-2010, 22:06:50 »
unless someone recodes the whole shebang

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22-06-2010, 23:06:09 »
unless someone recodes the whole shebang

Answer:
You will never see something like that in any bf2 mod, never!
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22-06-2010, 23:06:16 »
And we just got an unending circle of answer to answer...

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23-06-2010, 02:06:09 »
The sun moving that quickly looks too unrealistic, I would suggest making it real time or closer to real-time, but that's just me
pfft, just look at the movements by the player. How the gun/hands moves up and down. clearly shows that it is sped up a lot.

Yes, I saw this, but I think even at normal speed, the movement of the sun would be too noticeable, I think.
Really all I think this would be good for would be tournament-play maps with hours-long rounds and such.

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #22 on: 23-06-2010, 17:06:16 »
Only way to make it would be to have all the statics as bundledmeshes, which casts dynamic shadows.
Fun to code perhaps and to look at on youtube, but not for adding as feature to a BF2 mod.

Why not ? As already suggested, it could be used at some awesome dusk/dawn maps, where you see the sun going down as the battle rages. 50 minutes of round time would be plenty of time to have it even in real time. Just imagine, sun is going down behind a hillside, casting long shadows of the trees. The further it gets down the more it blinds the people assaulting the hillside, and then, when its behind it and darkness rises, only tracers and explosions would light the assault ..

Aaaaah that would be so awesome

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23-06-2010, 18:06:40 »
Re-exporting all statics as bundles would already take ages, and that will probably hit the the performance as well (bundles need own textures afaik).

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23-06-2010, 18:06:55 »

Warrior I'm sure that the video is accelerated...watch the smoke coming out of the oil rig.
and the guy's frantic breahting...
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24-06-2010, 01:06:50 »

Warrior I'm sure that the video is accelerated...watch the smoke coming out of the oil rig.

Yes, I saw this, but I think even at normal speed, the movement of the sun would be too noticeable, I think.
Really all I think this would be good for would be tournament-play maps with hours-long rounds and such.

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24-06-2010, 01:06:31 »

^I shall call it twinpeaks...

Even if this were possible with all the statics working etc, I dont think I'd really care to see it in game when battles last at most a couple hours. If someone wanted to make an epic open world RPG using the BF2 engine though...

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24-06-2010, 02:06:11 »
Only way to make it would be to have all the statics as bundledmeshes, which casts dynamic shadows.
Fun to code perhaps and to look at on youtube, but not for adding as feature to a BF2 mod.

Why not ?

Lightmapping (aka creating shadows for all the statics) takes anywhere from 6 hours to 2 days on a detailed map like FH2 maps. You want to do that in real time, with the light source moving? Good luck.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24-06-2010, 20:06:22 »
What about on a purely naval map? (Which will probably never come to be cause naval warfare has its own set of obstacles.) However, there would be few or no statics at all in such a map.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24-06-2010, 20:06:52 »
or air map.. atleast i wouldnt care about the shadows of some hangar.. the action is in the air!