Poll

When you make a kill or are killed what should or shouldn't be displayed on the screen (HUD)?

Show who you just killed.
57 (17.9%)
Don't show who you just killed.
15 (4.7%)
Only show who you killed if you killed a friendly (team kill).
30 (9.4%)
Add delay before your kill is confirmed.
18 (5.6%)
Show the person who killed you.
59 (18.5%)
Do not show who killed you.
16 (5%)
Show who just killed you for frienldy fire (team kill) only.
20 (6.3%)
Show which specific weapon (K98, Lee Enfield MK III, ....) you were killed with.
47 (14.7%)
Show general type of weapon (tank, airplane, handheld, ...) you were killed with.
16 (5%)
Don't show weapon that killed you at all.
17 (5.3%)
Show weapon that killed you if you were killed by friendly fire (team kill) only.
13 (4.1%)
Add delay before you are shown who or what killed you
11 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Kill messages: Your stance  (Read 11261 times)

Offline corsair89

• Cannon fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Kill messages: Your stance
« Reply #45 on: 12-04-2009, 19:04:16 »
Same as Cymro. I like to know who killed me and who I killed.

About weapons, I don't care as much to know if I was killed by a No4 or a K98 so that's the less important part of the kill message for me and could be removed, apart for the "strange" kills (with smoke nade, bicycle, etc..)

Offline [130.Pz]I.Kluge

• Better ask twice than lose yourself once.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 12-04-2009, 19:04:51 »
its a game
Yes, and like any other game it try's to immerse you, into what it is portraying.
FH2 does it well, but knowing you killed all five defender at flag X takes part of that away.
Being uncertain, and vulnerable, that would encourage more teamwork.

If you remove the text who killed who, you also remove the human being behind the killed player, and then its like playing VS bots.
Playing online... you know is another human, who will actually text you back after a kill and play more challenging than a bot.
You are still able to pop up the score screen, see who is in the opposite team, and find some one you know and ask him to switch or what ever regular chat goes on during play.
Bots and real players can't be compare by just the need to have a name, to remind people there are real humans they playing against.

But: I see no reason why on earth I care if someone in the other team TKs, or even in my team.. or other players killing eachother... it is meaningless information for me + it destroys immersion and clogs up the screen...
The regular Kill msg's clog it faster than TK's.

If possible; best would be to only see kills, TKs and Deaths that happens in your squad.. for example if Im SL, I wanna know when they die in mu squad, and when they kill someone.. (not all are using VoIP, and for sure they arent all screaming "I just killed Mr-fragz with a ATR" < this I wanna know if Mr-fragz have been tormenting us with a tank... etc etc..

That is an interesting idea.

« Last Edit: 12-04-2009, 23:04:09 by [130.Pz]I.Kluge »

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 12-04-2009, 23:04:12 »
Where is the i want it as it is vote button? this vote sucks. Seriously i thought about removing it.... ::)

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #48 on: 12-04-2009, 23:04:05 »
Where is the i want it as it is vote button? this vote sucks. Seriously i thought about removing it.... ::)

Don't know why you would.  The good guys are winning it would seem (although a leave it the hell alone option would have made more sense).  Don't make a martyr out of this pathetic thread!
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 13-04-2009, 00:04:24 »
It is right there, see my first post:

For example, if you like the current system you vote:
- Option 1 (Show who you just killed)
- Option 5 (Show the person who killed you)
- Option 8 (Show the specific weapon that killed you).

That combination reflects the current setup. ;)

Don't know why you would.  The good guys are winning it would seem (although a leave it the hell alone option would have made more sense).
"Good guys" ? We are talking about the various views people have, there is no "good opinion". Your opinion isn't any more good or worse then my or let's say Flippy's, Jum Jums, von Mudra's or Apple's opinion!

Don't make a martyr out of this pathetic thread!
And why is it pathetic? Since wheni is it pathetic to exchange opinions, discuss what people think think of a certain feature and why they like or don't like a certain feature or suggestion?

I'm highly offended by your post,  it feels like somebody spitting in my face while I only openend a honourable, fair debate. You should be ashamed, deeply ashamed!

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 13-04-2009, 00:04:55 »
...or Apple's opinion!

I am honored that you think of me  :).

Anyway lets all get along! Like Donutz said we are all entitled to an opinion (Hense the poll). Me, well, I can see how both ways can be good. Both ways meaning: The current way/No Kill Messages.

The current way is obviously more 'newbie' friendly. Its obviously easier to pop someone, look at the top of the screen to identity your kill, and move on to the next target. This makes for very fast paced gameplay, at any range that you engage your enemy. Like, currently, FH2 is a pretty fast paced, or at least a moderately paced mod (maps, players and etc play into this as well).

Now, on the other hand, no kill messages are good.

Because, no kill messages (as said before) will cause the player to double check after his supposed kill. He'll probably, if hes not sure of his kill, have to secure the area that he spotted the enemy activity in. This would slow down gameplay, but also create more depth to it. I mean, there would come a time when you know if you killed someone, and when you aren't sure. So naturally people are going to stop and think, and make sure that they actually killed their target.

So really both ways have their likes and dislikes. However I voted to leave it (or the equivalent of). Mainly because I like faster paced gameplay over slower. Event though both are fun.

:)

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #51 on: 13-04-2009, 06:04:54 »
I'm highly offended by your post,  it feels like somebody spitting in my face while I only openend a honourable, fair debate. You should be ashamed, deeply ashamed!

Well said.  Sorry about that.  I am just very pro kill message (for FH2) and I got a little carried away. 
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Coca-Cola

• [130.Pz.]A.Aasen
    • View Profile
    • MY CHARACTER MODELING AND TEXTURING SITE
« Reply #52 on: 13-04-2009, 08:04:40 »
My opinion hasn't changed from the original thread at the old forums; no kill messages for either side and only one if it's a teamkill. All these in-game vendettas have to stop imo, and knowing if you've killed a person whom you know to be a SL, say Kurt Steiner, it takes away a lot from the confusion of where your enemy is. But if, once again, the headless chickens who don't want to defend a flag and hunt down individuals, want it the way it is, fine. Also, someone was arguing that it'd be faceless and this game is as much about the community as about the game then look at that other mod with correct ballistics and an aspiring-to-military-accuracy tendency. However, looking at toddel's comment, it doesn't look as though there's too much future in this thread though I did rep you Donutz for the effort.
MY CHARACTER MODELING AND TEXTURING SITE: http://andersgarvin.wix.com/portfolio#!home/mainPage

Offline Paalupetteri

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 13-04-2009, 10:04:45 »
1, 5, 8 of course. This is still a computer game that is meant to be fun. I would no longer play this mod if it was turned into another PR.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 13-04-2009, 11:04:01 »
 It's perfect the way it is at the moment.

I couldn't agree with you more Paalu...
My Quebec includes Canada

Biiviz

« Reply #55 on: 13-04-2009, 11:04:39 »
1, 5, 8 of course. This is still a computer game that is meant to be fun. I would no longer play this mod if it was turned into another PR.

I voted the same.
However, I wouldn't stop playing just because it is changed. It's fine either way imo.

Offline Niam

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 13-04-2009, 11:04:24 »
While I've also voted to keep it the way as it is, I like Natty's idea to show only "internal" kill messages. I vote for a new poll where you can choose between "everything", "internal", and "nothing".

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #57 on: 13-04-2009, 11:04:36 »
Sir Apple is on fire, and also, lesser HUD/Text on the screen while in-game just makes the game look better

The best example for this is Day of Defeat: Source. With all the HUD and crap it really destroys the beauty of it. Remove the HUD in console and it's amazing

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 13-04-2009, 13:04:48 »

Well said.  Sorry about that.  I am just very pro kill message (for FH2) and I got a little carried away. 
Cheers.

However, looking at toddel's comment, it doesn't look as though there's too much future in this thread though I did rep you Donutz for the effort.
Not unless there is a stand off at dawn between Lobo and Toddel. Haha.  ;)

But in my opinion there is A) Way too much text on the HUD B) It's too easy to "confirm" a kill even though you shouldn't be aware thus greatly handicapping the element of suprise for stealthy enemies.  I'd like to think about various possibilities to improve this.

A delay on kill messages might be a nice consession so that those who need to see the name of who they just shot can still see so while those that point out this is a bit cheesy and spoils gameplay also (as you instant know you killed someone evne though visually you could not be sure, the dude might stil be hiding out there) would have atlesast something that aids them. The delay (5 - 10 seconds, just pulling a number)  would give an enemy that got away plenty of time to get away since a confirmation of a kill would take some time. Extra time to either sneak out or to put a bullet between the eyes of the other person and say "Hah, you thought you killed me didn't you?".

Though my favourit setup hasn't changed.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #59 on: 13-04-2009, 22:04:37 »
Looking at all the thoughts put down in this thread, I think that if any change was done at all, if it would be one where most people were at least ameniable, then it would have to be thus:
Tanke the current system and just add a delay of about 20-30 seconds onto it.  And maybe make teamkills in bold text.