Author Topic: Rifle grenades vs. Light Armoured Vehicles  (Read 1750 times)

Offline CosmonautVince

• Ef god dun exits, den how ded I Cosmonaut?
    • View Profile
Rifle grenades vs. Light Armoured Vehicles
« on: 14-10-2013, 21:10:37 »
Hi all, I was playing el alamein today and while valiantly charging into a swarm of british, my full healthed Sdkfz/hanomag/halftrack/etc. was destroyed by a rifle grenade. Would this be possible in real life? I can understand a sdkfz 222 being destroyed fairly easily but a halftrack that can withstand a few basic grenades goes down in one shot? I think it would be a little tougher than that. on that note, the "light armoured vehicle" category of vehicles in general seems somewhat under powered. an mg can widdle down your health fairly quickly and because of the slow to move tank controls youre usually pretty easy prey for enemies if your on any kind of slant.

just my opinions of course.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
Re: Rifle grenades vs. Light Armoured Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: 14-10-2013, 21:10:57 »
There are rifle grenades, and then there are rifle anti-tank grenades such as the No. 68 AT Grenade which can penetrate about 50mm of armor. So yes it's possible IRL.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14-10-2013, 21:10:55 »
hanomags had pretty much same armor values as sdkfz 222

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14-10-2013, 21:10:42 »
I think the American riflegrenade, the British one and the bigger German types can penetrate some armor.

Offline CosmonautVince

• Ef god dun exits, den how ded I Cosmonaut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14-10-2013, 21:10:46 »
just to clarify, it was a regular british infantry rifle grenade that im talking about.

EDIT: just saw TS's post. D'oh!
« Last Edit: 14-10-2013, 21:10:35 by CosmonautVince »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14-10-2013, 21:10:06 »
brits have only one type of rifle grenades in game

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14-10-2013, 21:10:13 »
brits have only one type of rifle grenades in game

Well technically they have the HEAT nade and the normal handgrenade that can also be shot from the launcher.
The Americans have a HEAT nade, a frag nade with impact detonator and the normal frag nade.
The Germans have three different riflenades IIRC, one of which is an impact HE nade and the others are anti tank nades to varying degrees of effectiveness.

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14-10-2013, 22:10:26 »
How does one tell if you have an impact or regular time fuse American frag rifle grenade? The icon looks the same IIRC.
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14-10-2013, 22:10:34 »
IIRC the impact one is only on Sidi Bou Zid and it does look slightly different.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14-10-2013, 22:10:22 »
The one used on Sidi Bou Zid is the M17 rifle grenade. It might be confusing because its warhead was basically a Mk.II "pineapple" grenade body on a "stick" adapter which worked as an impact fuse:

It's used only on Sidi because it was mostly replaced later in war by this one:

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-12-2013, 17:12:35 »
How does one tell if you have an impact or regular time fuse American frag rifle grenade? The icon looks the same IIRC.

When you use the scroll wheel to select weapons it will tell you which kind of riflenade you have for the Garand (assuming it's a kit with riflenades not just the regular pineapple). One is the HE/frag grenade that will bounce as many times as you want until the fuse is done and one is the HEAT grenade that explodes on impact. It's on Pointe du Hoc, Hurtgen Forest and some others (but all in pickup kits). It's badass too, takes out StuGs no trouble.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-12-2013, 19:12:29 »
When you use the scroll wheel to select weapons it will tell you which kind of riflenade you have for the Garand (assuming it's a kit with riflenades not just the regular pineapple). One is the HE/frag grenade that will bounce as many times as you want until the fuse is done and one is the HEAT grenade that explodes on impact. It's on Pointe du Hoc, Hurtgen Forest and some others (but all in pickup kits). It's badass too, takes out StuGs no trouble.

Nope. We're not talking about HEAT ones here. AFAIK the HEAT rifle nades from pickup kits on maps you mentioned are AT grenades used on Eppeldorf. Look at my post. We are talking about rifle mounted frag nades.

Offline F.E.Glöckner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-12-2013, 22:12:43 »
Is it possible to code the Riflenades like the Panzerfaust? I mean you only hit something when you use the Iron sights and your not moving? I'm tired of the Run'n'gun with Riflenades.

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03-12-2013, 03:12:58 »
I'm not so sure, they seem as if they were very much inaccurate, and travelling at a much greater speed than the panzerfaust, so aiming down the sight with it wouldn't do much good anyway.
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31-12-2013, 13:12:39 »
Im pretty sure a halftrack wont Blow up from an AT grenade....... But i guess for some people armour thickness vs penetration = instant blowup