Author Topic: Being a "sniper"  (Read 22043 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Being a "sniper"
« Reply #60 on: 24-09-2009, 17:09:55 »
I'm searching too, but all I can find is the standard pic from the testing session.

btw:

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 24-09-2009, 20:09:48 »
Stg44 with Infrared or something like that, would be a nice easter egg. :)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 24-09-2009, 20:09:50 »
No, if they want to include that they should do a historical map for it. It was used in a counter attack near Berlin. Infra rec equipped Panthers of the "Mücheberg"-Division attacked a soviet bridgehead. Infantry with the infra red system were sitting on the deck of the tanks, defending them against close assaulting infantry.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 24-09-2009, 22:09:59 »
It was on a map (along with Infrared equipped Panthers and Hanomags) in FH1.  It was "Spurning Fate" and I think it was MP6 map.  Really awesome.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 24-09-2009, 23:09:43 »
I haven't been able to find a pic of the ZF StG44 in use. All I found was someone reassuring that he read an account in a book written by a German sniper in WW2. Apparently the author mentions a group of freshly trained SS snipers he saw and that they were armed with the K43, on of them having "the new MP44 rifle".

Offline meekey

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 02-10-2009, 02:10:21 »
I haven't been able to find a pic of the ZF StG44 in use.

I got what you need  8)

Edit: And efter backtracking the url etc. i see its from sniper school.

I HAVE FAILED YOU ;_;
« Last Edit: 02-10-2009, 03:10:44 by meekey »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 08-10-2009, 04:10:34 »
It was on a map (along with Infrared equipped Panthers and Hanomags) in FH1.  It was "Spurning Fate" and I think it was MP6 map.  Really awesome.

I heard the germans had good succes in that counter attack.

I also heard some Panther tanks near the Zoo Bunker had these Vampir system on their tanks..

Offline verg_6

• Crusader MkIII for life (Until 2.2, that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 08-10-2009, 18:10:39 »

I heard the germans had good succes in that counter attack.

I also heard some Panther tanks near the Zoo Bunker had these Vampir system on their tanks..
If the 'My Tank is FIGHT!' book is right, they did.  :P

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 30-11-2009, 02:11:17 »
Anyways.

I just found something that kills snipers.

Movement.

Maybe some of you already knew about this. Lets pick the FoT Church. The Tower, if im not mistaken, has some kind of wood in its windows. Well, yesterday i was looking at it with a No1 SMLE. Then i saw movement and i opened fire. Sniper is down.

In my opinion, if they are not watching at you or no enemy saw you running toward the church, theres no need to move. Even if you are taking fire. If theres a tank firing randomly at the tower, dont crouch or move, because if do so, they will see you and put some HE on you, a grenade, a riflegrenade, and if you are too annoying, commander arty.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 30-11-2009, 16:11:45 »
My 2-cents

Use your kit

A sniper is not his rifle, but he  HAS a rifle.

You have a mine for area-denial, smoke for concealing your get-away (Never for offensive), a pistol for 'if-all-else-fails' and binocs are actually your best friend. Using eyeballs are even closer still. Learn to stay still both to avoid being noticed, but also to notice everything around - Get used to how the trees move, and know when they shouldn't be. Use binocs for closer inspectiion.

Prepare the nest

The game design automatically makes you use sniper scope with both eyes open, well, do the same for everything else. Stand back from the window and try to spot targets well before they get close. Depending on where you are a house may be as good as a hedgerow or worse...  

If the first option is option A, go for option B and make a nest of it i.e make a good cover of yourself. Learn to take the best position to fire.. Don't run-and-gun, obviously. Don't stand if possible, try to go prone as much as possible. Forget your breathing, watch the crosshairs original position and go on that.

Get used to crawling into positon, not walking, or at worse, kowtow and move. But if you must stand, dash from cover to cover, stop, observe and THEN move again. Prepare your sniper location.

s-mines at the entry... doesn't have to be a door. binocs in hand, smoke, one click away and rifle prepared. Binocs have greater magnification than scope so use those more often - And it gives your position away less as it doesn't extend infront of you.

The devs should add reflection to the scope so that a sniper needn't hold it up for too long.

How effective is shade... A question I ask

Relocate

If you can, get a situational awareness of the battlefield and determine the axis of enemy advance. And locate yourself apprioporately. While doing so, note 2ndary locations to be able to relocate to. A terrible sniper gets killed after his first shot, an average sniper gets shot trying to relocate to a terrible spot, a good sniper takes down a squad and is realized as nothing more than a ghost...

Tanks are your enemy - Avoid sniper-action when they are around. Especially if you are one-HE-shot away. The best shots are done when the enemy is not facing you, such that he wont even guess where the shot came from. If there is more than one, go for the rear-most

BF2 engine has the rare ability of having sound travel over distance making distant sounds take a few secs to reach you. I think the sound should be most improved to make use of this. A sniper of WW2 isn't quite, a fact he needs to deal with.

How soon you relocate is not determined by how many you kill, but how hot the area seems to be getting. Sometimes one kill is enough for a relocation, sometimes 5, sometimes, none at all - But then, you shouldn't be holding that feeking rifle then, should you :-P

Take on an air of invisinsibility - BE invinsible - DON'T die to keep this up. Relocate often and when the going is good - And keep an area completely out of enemy hands by your single hand - Strike the fear of death into him, but prepare your rear exit if they call in heavy artillery to take you out - Or bring up the cavalry.
« Last Edit: 30-11-2009, 16:11:04 by djinn »

Offline Roden

• Make war not love
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 04-12-2009, 20:12:31 »
Nothing beats the feeling of standing behind a Sniper admiring his scope WITHOUT paying attention to whats happens around him and who sneaked up on you and tries to stab you in you sh*t crack.
When the blade tickles the Snipers Buttom. The attacker should always get TKed!

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #71 on: 04-12-2009, 21:12:20 »
nono, before you stab a sniper you snuck up on, you spam 'charge' right beforehand to scare the shit out of him

Offline hslan.totaler_humbug

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #72 on: 09-12-2009, 14:12:18 »
Indeed, the Binocs are your best friend, especially when you got some decent arty-guys up there.
We need to be able, to throw Thermos out of Spotterplanes.

Offline tom-at-o

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 21-08-2018, 20:08:57 »
It is important as a sniper to know when not to kill. Not killing from a position for a time can be better than relocation. Watch the chat as it can tell you if someone is looking for you. Kill the last man is a good idea, but you can stop a squad and put it to earth, where they all become stationary targets by killing the first.

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #74 on: 23-08-2018, 01:08:07 »

That's quite a resurrection you did there!
December 2009. FH2.2 was recently out, people were getting used to Normandy.
These forums had just lost their new-forum-smell, after being deployed in March the same year.

I even found a comment made by my 25-year-old self on page 2!
Ah, fun times :)

But agreed Tom-at-o! One of the better skills as a sniper is knowing when not to shoot, or to mask the sound of your shot by other sounds like nearby explosions.

Also, fun new fact with the recent patch! Most sniper rifles can now choose between using the iron sights or the scope. Think about switching when relocating for easier aiming in close quarters.