Author Topic: FH2 maps and you  (Read 15809 times)

Offline corsair89

• Cannon fodder
    • View Profile
Re: FH2 maps and you
« Reply #15 on: 01-08-2009, 17:08:10 »
Well yeah, I wrote "TKs" but thought about "minus points" :-X

Offline Cin3k33

• Lobo`s younger sister
    • View Profile
    • eXavs
« Reply #16 on: 02-08-2009, 10:08:12 »
Which one diden't you know?

In british main base, near pak-bunker :) Thx for help  ;)

Here is your cookie

2. Beware of certain o0mn1oxious bofors rapers

Love you, +1  8)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02-08-2009, 20:08:22 »
The Battle for Sfakia

German assault
vs.
British defend

Sniper rifle positions (I know of)
1. Eastern most German spawn point, just spawn and turn around
2. German Spawn point above Upper town, in the little yellow cart
3. In the british command post
4. Harbor, upper floor

Overview
This is a very fast and chaotic infantry map, that can be confusing for first time players. Many new british players don't know from where the Germans attack: from the north, out of the mountains. There is one tank on this map, the British light Vickers tank. It is very annoying, because it is agile and extremely deadly for infantry. Its movement is hindered by buildings and walls, so it shouldn't be too hard to hunt down, especially with AT rifles.
The Germans start without radio, so you have to capture either harbour or monastery to use your commander abilities. Alternatively a smart commander may go on a little mission behind enemy lines and grab the radio unnoticed. I have seen this working a few times, but it largely depends on the wits of the allied team.

Flags
All capturable flags start out british.

Secondary flags

West Road
The Germans spawn practically directly above this. That makes it hard to defend and it usually falls to the German onslaught quite fastly. If you want to defend it, don't stand on the road! Either stay in the two storey building or retreat behind the buildings, to defend the flag from there, mostly by grenade use. This is one of the two "secondary flags". Both of those are quite hard to hold or counter attack and serve as "staging boards" for the German advance. If the situation in the village itself is a stalemate, it might be useful to try and cap one of those secondary flags, to open up a new spawn point behind the Germans and bring some movement into the round.

British rearguard
This flag lies down in the valley, beside the little chapel, the spawn point however are on the cliff overlooking the flagzone. I have seen good squads defending this point, but they usually get bypassed by motorized Germans or bicycle troops.

Core flags

Upper Town
This flag lies some distance below the central German spawn point. If you get the sniper rifle you can wreak havoc among the Brits there, hwoever, be not surprised if some plucky Brit comes for you or countersnipes you. The most important position in the flagzone is the little garage. It's not only a spawn point, but also a safe position to capture the flag. A nice position for Brits at the start of the round is the large building to the south. It has a balcony or terrace area, enterable by ladder. If you lie down there with a Bren you can watch the ridge line to the north and east. Often German troops come down there, hoping to outflank the flag (also the occasional sniper). They often fail to localise a smart Bren gunner, leading to some nice long range kills. I often ran out of ammunition in that position  ;D However, you are not in the flagzone and once the flag is captured by the Germans it can get a bit uncomfortable up there.

Command Post
The flagzone is mainly concentrated around the sand bagged storage/command area. As a German it is advisable to lie down directly north of that position. That way you are safe from fire coming from the big house in which most of the spawn point are located. Even grenading you there is often quite difficult. This is one of the most important flags of the map, together with the Town square. There are three ways between those two flags and the fighting is often quite concentrated there. The middle road is usually quite dangerous and often covered by mGs. Because of that it is advisable to follow the southern most route, directly at the sea. In my experience this is often great for sneak attacks on town square. The third route is through the garden area in the north. This one is a bit longer and mostly deserted. It is quite hard to get into the flagzone from there.

Town Square
As I said, very important. The key is the south eastern building, as the flag can be capped from there. Sneaky players can also enter the capzone by jumping over the chapel static from the seaside promenade. Alternatively you can capture the flag from behind that static (in the little corner between the house and the chapel). You can also spawn rape through the window from there, although I wouldn't recommend doing that too often. The tank spawns there.

Harbour
No progress? Need commander radio? All sniper rifles taken?
Backcap Harbour!
Harbour is often overlooked and backcapped. There are two main approaches to the flag: Directly from the north (from West Road), although there is not that much cover for troops advancing from there. The other is more direct, over the stairs from Town Square, although this one has a certain bottleneck quality to it.

Monastery
This is a very... special flag. First of all, it's a lot fun fighting there, assaulting it is awesome. The main advantages of the flag are a spawn point closer to the action and a radio for the Germans. Other than that, it's a bit away from the action. The worst thing that can happen to British team is losing all flags except monastery. It has happened to me 3 or 4 times and the amount of lag and rape was mind boggling. If in doubt, rather give up this flag than any of the core flags, also it is useful to keep it if you are defending command post as your central flag.

The map in one sentence
Fast combat in beautiful scenery.

edit: Sfakia in real life:

« Last Edit: 17-08-2009, 19:08:23 by Ts4EVER »

Offline hslan.totaler_humbug

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #18 on: 02-08-2009, 22:08:57 »
Nice thread. Maybe say to SoT that the bomb-craters infront of their line are great for anti-tank infantry.
We need to be able, to throw Thermos out of Spotterplanes.

Offline Miklas

• Ingame: Calle_XVI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05-08-2009, 09:08:20 »
You can cap the town square by positioning yourself directly beneath the eastern window on the south eastern building (around the corner of the spot Ts4EVER suggested). From here you can see the main road and can easily shoot any enemy that comes around the corner.

Also, for west road, you can lie down with a bren gun at the most western part of the road close to the cliffs to get an exellent spot for killing germans that try to take the flag. Usually you are not affected by grenade spamming at this place.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07-08-2009, 16:08:24 »
Sidi Rezegh

British advance
vs.
German/Italian delay

1. In the Administration building, top floor. You have to go through the basement and up the ladder.

Overview
The Axis hold a big airfield against an allied armoured assault. They start out with only an armoured car (which is useful for harassing the Allied advance) and an Italian light tank. After the allies have capped all three airfield flags, the axis get the bleed and several German tanks as reinforcements to recap the airfield.
The Axis have no spawnable MGs (there are several Lafette kits lying around though). Instead they have two different rifleman kits, one German and one Italian. Chosing which one to use is a matter of preference. The map is totally imbalanced in its current state and can't be lost by the Allies. However, it is said to receive an overhaul in 2.2.

Flags

Airfield flags

Hauptkampflinie 19. Flakregiment (from now on "88-flag")
This one is quite important early on, because it has two heavy AA guns pointing into the general direction of the allied assault. Because of that, it is advisable to outflank this position by attacking the Administration building to the south or the blockhouse flag first. As allied infantry, it's very profitable to call in artillery on the Flaks early in the round. As a German, it is nice to take the SdKfz222 (spawns at administration) and use it to harass advancing infantry and spotters. You can rack up quite some kills before someone has the idea of spawning with an AT rifle or the tanks finally arrive there. Note that the spawn points of this flag are scattered around the trenches and defensive works guarding the east side of the airfield. This makes it easy to attack Administration from there, hwoever, you are often far away from the flagzone, making it hard to defend.

19. Regimentsgefechtstand ("Administration")
This is a nice building for a lot of different purposes. The flagzone is in the basement, making it quite easy to defend. The spawn points however are all above ground, so reinforcing the room might prove hard. The second floor is nice for sniping and artillery spotting. The sniper rifle can be found in the "eagle's nest", a little tower like structure on top of the building, reachable through the basement. This position has also two MGs. It's not very safe up there, for enemy Stuarts often lob HE shells up there and mortars often zero in on the building. As a sniper it is advisable to relocate to another part of the second floor. The nest is quite important for squad leaders, because they can directly reinforce the basement from a relatively secure location.

Magazin 19. Flakregiment ("Hangar")
This flag is often backcapped early in the round, usually by a british squad bypassing the defensive positions per jeep. This flag is generally hard to defend, especially because tanks can directly drive into it. It is quite easy to attack administration from here, by advancing through the building area southwards. A Pak overlooking the airfield and an APC spawn there.

The Blockhouse
This is not one of the airfield flags and doesn't count towards the bleed. However, if your team loses the flag, it also loses 50 tickets (is that the real amount? I forgot). The flag basically consists of a big building with a radio in it and some tents and trenches (where the flag is). A light tank, a medium Pak, a stationary AA-truck and two artillery pieces spawn there. For the british it is advisable to attack the flag early, thus outflanking the 88s and most other defensive works of the airfield. The Germans may attack it after they got their tanks, advancing through the mountain pass instead of directly into the british defences.

The map in one sentence
Imbalanced, but fun with a good squad and a basic idea where everything is and when to hide instead of prancing around in front of the Mathilda.
« Last Edit: 08-08-2009, 16:08:36 by Ts4EVER »

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07-08-2009, 21:08:31 »
Something's been bugging me...

Those loading images have the No.4 in them, but the maps use the No.1 MkIII SMLE (except for the incorrect placeholder ammo kits and sniper rifles).  I think there might be one more with the wrong weapon as well.  It's not a big deal, but are they going to be fixed for the next release?  Is it hard to redo the render with the SMLE instead of the No.4?  It just bugs me whenever the map loads up with the wrong rifle on it.  (I know it's a leftover from before the SMLE was in game and the maps actually did use the No.4, but everything [except the loading screen] is correct now, so why not change it?)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07-08-2009, 23:08:29 »
Cuz they have more important things to do (porsche turm) ;)

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08-08-2009, 00:08:28 »
 I am loving your walkthroughs Ts4 but could you please make mention that these overviews are only correct for the 64 player maps versions.

specific kudos for mentioning the Blockhouse and the major ticket losses that occur when the flag changes hands.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08-08-2009, 12:08:41 »
"The flag basically consists of a big building with a radio in it and some tents and trenches (where the flag is)."

Is it so important that you mentioned it twice? ;)

specific kudos for mentioning the Blockhouse and the major ticket losses that occur when the flag changes hands.

About this: I remeber having played Crete where this also occurred, I believe it was on the Chania flag, but I'm not sure . Anyone able to confirm?

Oh, and thanks for another great map overview of my favourite map in the mod so far.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08-08-2009, 15:08:33 »
"The flag basically consists of a big building with a radio in it and some tents and trenches (where the flag is)."

I wanted to make clear that the flagzone was at the tents.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08-08-2009, 15:08:15 »
TS4Ever I think you lost your grip on the "the map in one sentence". On Sidi you're giving us your personal opinions like in a review... I think it is better if you stay objective, check Gamaustra for perfect guidance how to present or document levels and games, they teach you the language that the reader is interested to read: which is fact about the map, not opinions  :)

At least that is what I thought this thread was.... good stuff so far, keep going  :D

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08-08-2009, 16:08:14 »
Gazala

German assault
vs
British defend

Ignore the Bir Hacheim flag on this map.

1. In the German main, alongside other heavy weapons behind tent
2. In the British main
3. 150th Box, in one of the bunkers facing Knightsbridge

Overview
This is first and foremost a tank map. Both sides have a variety of tanks to choose from. On the German side you find Panzer IIIs, Panzer IVs and some lighter Italian models, on the British side a mix of Stuarts, Crusaders (with 2-Pounder) and Grants. The airforce plays a big part, with air dominance being a decisive factor. This is also the only map where the Brits have their tank hunting Hurricane. Despite this domincance of armour and airforce, infantry is far from useless. Sidi Mufftah and 150th Box require infantry to be capped and the ever popular "AT driving" is especially effective on Gazala, due to its open nature, the relative abundance of pick up Heavy AT kits and the limited vision of Grant tanks.

Staging area flags
These flags are rather secondary and mostly used as bridgeheads for operations against the central flags.

Sidi Muftah
This flag guards the German northern approach to the central flags. It can't be entered by tanks (due to minefields and barriers) and a smart squad can hold out quite a while by utilising the AT grenades and AT guns.

Acroma
This one is often back capped at round start, usually by a German squad just driving past the other positions in a Kübelwagen. Other than Mufftah it can be entered by tanks and is quite hard to defend.

Center flags
Most of the action on the map revolves around Knightsbridge and 150th box.

Knightsbridge
This flag consists of two areas: The flagzone area, which is basically a little village, some tents and tank spawns, and the hill to the east, which is a very important positions. The AT guns up there allow the team to dominate the area north of 150th Box and the approach to Acroma.

150th Box
Arguably the most important and most contested flag on the map. It consists of an intricate system of trenches and tunnels, with several AT/AA/MG emplacements. The flag lies in the center of the position. Due to it's labyrinthic layout, the flag may be confusing for newcomers. A good point to hide a squad leader is the long tunnel in the west. If you got this flag, try to hold on to it as long as you can: patrol the outer trenches and check for intruders in the tunnel or the bunker in the flagzone. The flag is usually subject to heavy air and artillery bombardement throughout the game. Spotters often hide in the depression to the west or the ridgeline to the northeast.

The map in one sentence
Tanks and planes fight it out with infantry assualting and defending fortified positions.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08-08-2009, 16:08:48 »

I wanted to make clear that the flagzone was at the tents.

I understand, but I quoted this because the exact same sentence is mentioned twice in the last paragraph.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08-08-2009, 16:08:48 »
oops fixed it.