Author Topic: [Tutorial] How to create a Open House  (Read 16423 times)

Offline Grober

• View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] How to create a Open House
« Reply #15 on: 21-06-2010, 18:06:57 »
Toddel could you do video how you are texturing somthing for fh2?

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21-06-2010, 19:06:36 »
Why you dont take a look into jodonnell´s Tutorial. You can download the psd file.
http://fenring.bf1942.cl/tutorials/skinningdingo.php

Offline Grober

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22-06-2010, 00:06:50 »
thats whats you give is creating a skin for model and i wana see how toddel is applaying a texture in 3ds max for model :) how he is using UV Map

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25-04-2011, 12:04:59 »
Hi guys.

Well as I wanted a change between some frustrating mapping problems (which I overcame  ;) ) I started to fool around with Max and Photoshop. It's the first time I did something like this and I picked up Toddel's nice little house as a starting point. Well... the first one is not really a beauty and I'm aware of it. Nonetheless it's my first attempt to walk through the whole process of the creation of a static object. In the meanwhile I have some questions which could be the key for the next improvements.

Please don't laugh when you look at the images ( actually I did  :P ), I know it's very work in progress and I have to learn very much. My aim was to do a very simple object, learn how it works and move then slightly but steadily up to some more difficult tasks. Most of my next learning steps I like to invest in texturing as it seems to me very crucial to make a real pice of art.

Overview

Innercorner

Omg it looks crap.  :-X
The roof has no lighting and does not appear so far... but that's ok for the moment. What I'm more worried about are the greenish edges. I guess the come from the port from 3ds Max to Photoshop.

I made my UVW Unrwap image, saved it, marked all black areas with the "magic wand tool", inverted the image and deleted the surface to get startet.

My UVW Map:

As you see there is an overlapping part. I have no clue how this was generated as there is no real overlapping. I read in a few tutorials it doesn't matter as long as you don't see any effects back in 3dsMax. Well, when I firstly flattend all objects with Max there was no overlapping - it was only the result of an attachement to other parts (in my case the top of the outside stairs). At the beginning my polycount was nicely around 80-90 somewhat, but as I wanted to remove as many overlapping parts it jumped to 150.

So my bundled questions:
- Question: What are you doing with overlapping parts if they don't generate visible problems? Do simply let them be?
- What raster size do you export from Max to Photoshop? I used 1024x1024 so far.
- What texture size do you import usually? I placed so far images on the layers which had around 2-5mb each and scaled them down. With flipping around I managed to hide some ugly edges. But the many details are lost with the downscale. Can you recommend me something how you are doing this for static objects?

I thought about making nice textures with the following approach: make a uvw map for only a material group how I found it in a few tutorials. Applying nice detailed texture with photoshop and port it back. This seems feasible for my little house but how do you do this for large objects (like a 5 floor building)?

- Is there a way to get rid of the little greenish lines easily?

Sorry to ask that many questions, but I found so many different workflows in a dozen of tutorials. I hope to adapt to some gained experience and learn a real efficient workflow - that's a thing which can only be learned with some guidance.

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25-04-2011, 13:04:13 »
So, I can't really follow all your questions, because I don't really get what you're trying to do. ???
But for me it looks like you're trying to texture your self-made house and that you unwrapped it for that to texture it with custom textures in Photoshop. Afaik you could do that, but not really for statics, statics have a special texture workflow, you don't make real UVW maps for them, you just use existing textures.
I once found this tutorial which explains what I mean:
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189-modding-tutorials/63654-static-object-tutorial-very-basic-texture-palettes.html

You should check it out, maybe that can help you out. But if you really want to texture the house all alone with handmade textures, then I would like to know why. ;)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25-04-2011, 13:04:35 »
I don't know much about modeling but afaik you have to use Fh2s texture palettes for statics anyway.

Hmm seems like aggro was faster

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25-04-2011, 14:04:12 »
Thank you 2.  :)

Ahhh what a nice link. I should have watched in the "devils corner".

What I was trying to do was the following:
- build a simple 3d model with max
- texture it with the following approach:
     - Unwrap the whole model
     - Find a bunch of free textures
     - Bring the biggest parts together, so that I can place a wall texture around a corner.
     - Save the uvp map
     - open it with photoshop
     - put layers on that image. Import the found textues and adjust them on the image.
     - Back in 3ds Max: Import the bitmap and asign it to the model.
- finally port it then to bf2 to test it (not done yet)

To your question: Why am I trying to do this: Cause all tutorials I found done it almos that way.  ;D
That's why I came back to the forum and ask about the "right" workflow, as I know that I was not on the best track. Thank you.  :)

Lot of new stuff to read and try out so I'll do that first.

But one question again: are there FH2 only texture? I know that there are BF2 Textures but where can I get them?

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25-04-2011, 15:04:27 »
You should only use Fh2 textures, I would recommend you to start with the typical france texture sets, which can be found here -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefield 2\mods\fh2\objects\StaticObjects\France\textures (make sure you unpacked all the objects).

Try to get into the texture system and then show what you did. :)

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25-04-2011, 15:04:11 »
Ah, here we go. Thank you!  :D

Offline Ajs47951

• 1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g3t l41d
    • View Profile
    • AJS
« Reply #24 on: 15-08-2011, 03:08:53 »
What option do you have turned on that always shows those white lines?
and how do i turn the option on?

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15-08-2011, 03:08:49 »
Right klick on the Window option (- Perspective, Right, Left etc.) activate Edges faces.

Thats it.

Offline Ajs47951

• View Profile
    • AJS
« Reply #26 on: 15-08-2011, 04:08:33 »
thank you makes it a lot better to see those lines. 8)

if only we had the kudos system.... ;)

Offline Malsa

• A very static artist.
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15-08-2011, 06:08:54 »
...or just press F4!

Offline Ajs47951

• View Profile
    • AJS