Author Topic: Updated and new textures  (Read 17110 times)

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
Updated and new textures
« on: 20-07-2014, 00:07:03 »
From time to time we update our textures, create new camos or add new markings for new factions.
Some off those updates we wanna show in this thread.

Lately we altered the Stug IV texture and also added some new camos and a version without zimmerit.
That was needed, because the original texture was to bright compared with other German Vehicles.
For sure no original texture gets lost, we backup all our files, also the original psd files.

Some historical background on German camouflage:

In popular culture, most German tanks are shown painted in grey, which makes for great visual symbolism, since grey is the perfect colour for an oppressive, joyless, totalitarian enemy. You can also find grey (or panzergrau) Panzers on the FH2 map Mount Olympus and if you look closely you can see the grey paint under the sand camouflage on our Africa maps. In the beginning of 1943, together with the start of total war and the switch to a war production of military vehicles, the base colour applied to German tanks in the factory was switched to yellow (dunkelgelb).
The units on the frontlines received green (olivgrün) and brown (rotbraun) colours and were instructed to use these to camouflage their tanks to their liking. For winter warfare they were issued with water soluble whitewash. In fact, if you look closely at German vehicles on our Ardennes maps, you can make out the autumn yellow green brown camouflage under the whitewash.
In addition to these reskinned Stugs by Krätzer, Toddel made some great ambush style camouflage (Hinterhaltstarnung). This was a new colour scheme introduced at the end of 1944. It was decided that a standardized camouflage pattern should be applied in the factory, leading to these complex patterns.

You will be able to drive these vehicles soon(ish) in 1945 Eastern Germany, trying your best to delay the advancing Russians.
« Last Edit: 25-07-2014, 19:07:25 by Ts4EVER »

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
Re: Updated and new textures
« Reply #1 on: 20-07-2014, 03:07:28 »
That is truly outstanding work. Thank you!

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-07-2014, 05:07:05 »
nice work!

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-07-2014, 13:07:56 »
Love it!  ;D

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-07-2014, 13:07:30 »
Really nice! I think Panzer IV H and Tiger textures also need such reworking!  ;)

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-07-2014, 14:07:04 »
Maybe the Panzer F2 to be, what he is anyway an Panzer IV G, so he could be used on European maps.

I´m in love with Toddels Tiger, maybe he could get another camo for another map, but i don´t see any need of reworking or fixing those textures.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20-07-2014, 15:07:05 »
Really, really awesome. ;D

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20-07-2014, 15:07:21 »
Maybe the Panzer F2 to be, what he is anyway an Panzer IV G, so he could be used on European maps.

I´m in love with Toddels Tiger, maybe he could get another camo for another map, but i don´t see any need of reworking or fixing those textures.

Well, for me they're simply too bright - they look like Germans brought these tanks just from African deserts to Europe...

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20-07-2014, 16:07:48 »
Do you mean that this camo is too bright?

---

Good job on the textures!

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20-07-2014, 17:07:54 »
Yes, maybe its also caused by Totalize lighting settings,  but in my opinion yellow cammo doesnt work in this game.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20-07-2014, 17:07:43 »
German camo was mostly yellow though. All vehicles came out of the factory in yellow (until 1945) and where then painted with brown and green in the field. And if yo look at period photos, the yellow usually remained quite dominant.

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20-07-2014, 17:07:57 »
BF2 ligthing doesn't work as well

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20-07-2014, 20:07:39 »
German camo was mostly yellow though. All vehicles came out of the factory in yellow (until 1945) and where then painted with brown and green in the field. And if yo look at period photos, the yellow usually remained quite dominant.

Yellow color was used to camouflage tank on the grain fields against planes... The problem is that in this game grain is represented as undergrowth which disappears in the distance ~100 m usually. So when you fly a plane, you won't see it... Obviosly, you can always paint ground texture as yellow, but this will look weird...

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20-07-2014, 21:07:43 »
Awesome update! :D glad you guys reworked the StugIV, it always did look a bit out of place.

Also nice late war texture w/o the zimmerit. I'd love to see more textures used on various maps. (What I'd do to get my hands on those .psds ;))

As for the yellow. It doesn't serve as the best camo for this game but it is historically accurate and very well represented in game. The tanks came out of the factory in dunkelgelb, then we're mainly field painted or sometimes factory painted with olivgrun and rotbraun in whatever patterns fit.

German camo schemes are so interesting. Here's some cool little info on the 'ambush' scheme that the Germans started using later in the war.  http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=110&art_id=3318
« Last Edit: 20-07-2014, 21:07:48 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20-07-2014, 21:07:13 »
 Looks nice.

Are any other armies getting new textures?

;)