Author Topic: European vs American gaming  (Read 920 times)

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
European vs American gaming
« on: 09-09-2014, 02:09:32 »
I stumbled on this article

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-08-13-what-european-developers-need-to-know-about-american-online-gamers

and I'm curious what you guys think and if it's somehow representative when it comes to yanks.

I for one see a big difference in gamers attitude towards games depending on age. I agree with the article statement that internet shortens attention span - noticed it with myself unfortunately.

Oh, and there's also this vaguely connected shit (which may give you cancer).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zThxP55Cqeo

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
Re: European vs American gaming
« Reply #1 on: 09-09-2014, 06:09:14 »
To me that article makes American gamers sound like self-centered (individualism) and narrowminded (interested only in American popular culture/history) ADHD kids (short attention span, no patience to learn from failure).

Funnily enough, most of these traits are part of the American stereotype (muh freedoms, americuh).
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-09-2014, 08:09:14 »
as a yank myself, he is right..  damn kids and their rap music!    although not all of us are like that!   

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-09-2014, 09:09:37 »
He must hate his job, considering the contempt he has for his audience.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-09-2014, 12:09:02 »
I was also wondering if it's (by average) not the reason why FH2 usually doesn't have as big audience in the Americas as it has in Europe. I understand very well that not all gamers in US are like in the article and it may have been written in a way to draw controversy but in bottom line the guy speaks from market experience and from what games sell better. Of course the reason may be that EU has twice the population than US but I think that Americans are way more consume based and innovation driven so they don't cling to one old thing too much or even dust off old games as much as Europeans. Just some thought. 

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-09-2014, 12:09:48 »
Oh, and there's also this vaguely connected shit (which may give you cancer).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zThxP55Cqeo

Should have listened to the fucking advice. This did in fact give me cancer.

This goes beyond gaming. Its how society works nowadays. Kids that keep asking from everyone congratulations for existing and haven't had a difficulty to overcome on their own. Parents that make their kids short attention span hyper consumers with no brain.

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
  • Resident Crazy Composer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-09-2014, 13:09:55 »
I was also wondering if it's (by average) not the reason why FH2 usually doesn't have as big audience in the Americas as it has in Europe. I understand very well that not all gamers in US are like in the article and it may have been written in a way to draw controversy but in bottom line the guy speaks from market experience and from what games sell better. Of course the reason may be that EU has twice the population than US but I think that Americans are way more consume based and innovation driven so they don't cling to one old thing too much or even dust off old games as much as Europeans. Just some thought. 

Though by that logic, PR should have an even smaller audience in the US. Seeing how it's even harsher for those who only want instant gratification.
I do bad things to the BF2 engine.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-09-2014, 15:09:32 »
This is exactly why Hollywood almost never make history movies.

Though by that logic, PR should have an even smaller audience in the US. Seeing how it's even harsher for those who only want instant gratification.
Then again there are many hardcore soldier fans in the US. Guys who have been in the military and those who want to be and those who generally just love military. PR is a sandbox game for hobby soldiers. It fascinates me, while it is a turn-off.

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09-09-2014, 16:09:16 »
The funny thing is not one of my friends is the kind of gamer he describes there....

And here I am being the cautious, financial building type in games like EUIV and Europa Barbaroroum, less considered about conquest, but more considered about stability, slow expansion, and carefully picked objectives to consider the game 'won.'

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-09-2014, 17:09:54 »
From MOBA point of view:
LoL being the easiest of top 3 MOBA leagues, the least complex (except item wise, which is the most complex), and the fanciest graphics. 32 million strong fans, mostly US and Western Europe.
DoTA2 being the hardest, the most complex, and the stay true to the original graphic, 8 million strong fans, spread across the globe (Asians and Eastern Europeans).
HoN, being the average, but with the worst community (l33t only, n00bs will commit suicide) mostly Latin Americans.

However, since USA is all about culture and counter-culture, we will see that the predominant community facing loud and very opinionated minority like VonMudra.

I can't say the same for Flight Sim though. The Europeans are big on figures and systems, while the Americans stress on the "feel" and the "looks."  When they went all-out on creating the most realistic aircraft representation ever on PC: Europeans failed, the Americans succeed (Airsimmer vs PMDG). The Europeans simply forgot one thing: engine limitations on figures and systems. While the Americans overcome it by writing numerous stand-alone modules and requiring more processing powers.

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-09-2014, 15:09:06 »
Should have listened to the fucking advice. This did in fact give me cancer.

I almost hope you did. Same goes for OP.

This goes beyond gaming. Its how society works nowadays. Kids that keep asking from everyone congratulations for existing and haven't had a difficulty to overcome on their own. Parents that make their kids short attention span hyper consumers with no brain.

This however is very true. People can't think independently anymore. ADHD, please. It's called a loose and bad upbringing combined with 6-8 sugar overdoses a day.

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14-09-2014, 21:09:41 »
 Daglow's' summary was simple enough:

Craft the opening minutes to hold attention.
    Use a simple, clear interface.
    Minimise text: show, don't tell in tutorials.
    The player is a celebrity, give them unique customisation.
    Recognise that we're in the queue and the user is the master.
    History rarely sells and is often unknown.

The top 5 point are like kicking in open doors. FH2 also recognizes the need for a clear, simple interface, we have video tutorials instead wall of text on how to play FH2. The other points are about customisation, does that actually work outside RPG, unless it is funny hats from TF:2.
Ofc the user (client) is king.

History rarely sells, depends on which story you are going to tell. Gods of wars is inspired on Greek drama's. I think Assasin Creed sells rather well. We had our fair share of WWII shooters ten years ago.

By the way is it really true you can't fail in US schools? You can be set back a year, correct?

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)