Author Topic: World cup in Brasil 2014  (Read 14754 times)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: World cup in Brasil 2014
« Reply #210 on: 02-07-2014, 01:07:41 »
Great match, sorry for the USA, they played so well against Portugal, but couldn't uphold it against our southern neighbours. Now it's up to them to beat Argentina and I don't see them do that easily.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 02-07-2014, 01:07:00 »
Deserved win, remined my of Germany's performance yesterday. Thousand chances but no goal, forcing an unnecessary overtime. Anyway, at least US started playing proper football towards the end. Just bad that they needed a motivational boost to play properly after their goal and after being non existent in the offense for most of the game.

I see an interesting game of Belgium vs Argentina comig.

Also props to Ottmar Hitzfeld for having a grat coach career and being one of the most skilled and humble coaches around. Very likeable man, too bad Switzerland din't make it to the quarterfinals.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 02-07-2014, 01:07:17 »
Damn....

Oh well, I have American Football & College Basketball to keep me busy until next....

...........4 years from now.............

........In Russia..........

.......Damn!!

Think this World Cup is corrupt.......................just wait!!

Go Flying Dutchmen!
 :P

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 02-07-2014, 07:07:25 »
Yes!!!! I love Kevin de Brunye.

Are you in the US mate? Why you are not excited to defend the new football fan recruits?

They invented this new cute term for diving, called "flopping."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28100892
« Last Edit: 02-07-2014, 07:07:53 by Zoologic »

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 02-07-2014, 14:07:32 »
Yes!!!! I love Kevin de Brunye.

Are you in the US mate? Why you are not excited to defend the new football fan recruits?

They invented this new cute term for diving, called "flopping."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28100892
I live in Ohio, yeah.  However my mother spent a long time in Belgium in her youth and my family has gone on holidays there many times, I really love the country, and I'm cheering for them because I want to see them do well not out of spite for the Americans.  I live in the States but I don't feel any real connection, I have never considered myself American.  The Yanks have enough sports wins I couldn't stand the smugness should they ever win a World Cup. 

I'm excited for new football fans, but to be complete realistic there really won't be many.  You couldn't even tell that there is a world cup on at the moment in the US.  People cheer for the USA but they watch almost no other games, they are very casual fans and once American football season starts again no one will think about any other type of football.
« Last Edit: 02-07-2014, 14:07:06 by Captain Pyjama Shark »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 02-07-2014, 16:07:06 »
The smugness... ah, we excel in every sports, time to make disparaging remarks now.

I have heard an American saying that "we don't win the world cup because our best athletes are not in the team." Then they go on about having NFL top Linebackers as the defense and top NBA rebounder as the goalkeeper. Then they can have good punter and MLB top base runners as the winger, etc etc etc...  ;D

Dang the Yanks. I bet England losing to Germany won't heard as much as losing to USA. Anyway, since all of my underdogs are taken out, and my brother's Colombia is still going strong, I shall contest him by supporting the Dutch. Go Dutchies!

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #216 on: 02-07-2014, 23:07:09 »
The best finals would be Belgium vs the Netherlands. Sadly one of them is on the wrong side of that whole bracket thingie.

Germany vs Netherlands would be fun. Where the Netherlands would proceed to lose with 0-7.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 03-07-2014, 22:07:43 »
With the shape both teams are in, it will never be 0-7. Or 7-0, for that matter.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 04-07-2014, 04:07:52 »
Both team are not like Italy or England (except its clubs e.g. Liverpool). When they are defeated 3-0, they still keep their spirit and could equalize in any moment.

So it could be 7-7 and end up in penalties, leaving the defeated fans grieving, because like Roberto Baggio said, "I couldn't accept defeat through penalty shoot-outs."

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 04-07-2014, 13:07:24 »
The best finals would be Belgium vs the Netherlands. Sadly one of them is on the wrong side of that whole bracket thingie.

Germany vs Netherlands would be fun. Where the Netherlands would proceed to lose with 0-7.

Or you get kicked out by France.

After that, it's still Brazil or Colombia. It's quite clear that the Fifa wants Brazil vs Argentina, so that's what it will be. I am sure they will pull out a referee from Neverheardfromthatistan, or their regular clown Webb. If the Netherlands make it, I am fairly sure we will lose the 4th final in recent history. Germany will be home by then though, it's nice football, but the Algerians went through the defence like butter. I think France will take it, they play much more solid.

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 04-07-2014, 14:07:07 »
Pfft, we are the only team with top players on each position. France can only harm us when Löw puts up a shit lineup again or when there are stupid individual mistakes (red card, bad luck, wrong & vital referee decisions) We don't play as pretty football as 2010 for example, but we are a lot better than 4 years ago. The more quality and offensive ambitions the enemy has, the better we will play. Furthermore only the first half vs Algeria was horrible. As soon as Mustafi got injured, Khedira and Schweinsteiger played in the center and Lahm got to right defense. Had some bad luck then. When we play this way this evening I don't worry about some France being hyped for some mediocre football they play at all.

Teams learn from such matches, it's probably better than getting through every game without trouble. When we advance vs France we will probably meet Colombia rather than Brazil (I think Colombia will win it), which are an equally difficult challenge.

The regular clown "Howard Webb" is currently the best referee in my opinion. He is strict and clear, he was the perfect referee in Chile vs Brazil for example, where everyone knew that a lot of emotions would be involved. He makes mistakes as well, but he has a clear  line of being a referee he is following for many years now. Meanwhile others don't show yellow for hard fouls and on the other day they give it for some nonsense.

Anyway, finals: Germany vs NL
« Last Edit: 04-07-2014, 14:07:07 by Surfbird »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 04-07-2014, 18:07:14 »
Looking good for Germany so far. As predicted by you lot, their defenses are weak, Evra and Lahm couldn't organise their men well. At 13' Hummels just muscle his way in, pushing Varane away while dueling the ball on air. So, 7-0 for German victory? Currently, the Maginot line is not as solid as the Siegfried line.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 04-07-2014, 19:07:44 »
DEUTSCHLAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 04-07-2014, 19:07:16 »
It's like they play well only every second game.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 04-07-2014, 21:07:25 »
It's like they play well only every second game.
But France only plays well every second World Cup!  I don't know what to believe anymore