Author Topic: Development progress?  (Read 29441 times)

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
Re: Development progress?
« Reply #345 on: 30-09-2013, 04:09:27 »
Work is going on, that's what.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: 30-09-2013, 04:09:49 »
Bump. Mod's dead I assume. Last real update was on June 12th. What is going on?

As you seem to be too lazy to read this forum I will quote for you:

It was not just a summer break, things been literally dead for several months, not only for the summer. But now people are getting that much needed injection of motivation (not to mention all that precious time needed for such projects) to get the work done for next release. Mind you, next release is still a long way ahead but now at least there seems to be a future, which you couldnt say the same few months back.

Yes, we are back on track and some of the stuff that is being worked on would blow your entire mind.

Development is progressing, but mostly depended on the amount of resources available.

Several testers amnd some devs have confirmed that development...

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 30-09-2013, 04:09:30 »
Don't forget that they might take another break in a month or two like last year. They didn't even wish us happy new year in a news post, way to break tradition.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 30-09-2013, 13:09:00 »
Might seem kinda awkward I bring this up as I can't judge the situation properly, but what I noticed lately is that there has been a big "distance" between the developers and the FH2 player base. I don't mean that there are no updates and stuff, I mean that nobody outside the team could really estimate what the situation is like. Then it came apparent that you have a significant lack of active developers and I just wonder why there is so few communication with the community in terms of developement support.

I remember 1 call to developement support from azreal, over a year ago but that's it. You mentioned that you mainly miss people that are able to do coding in some post lately while most people thought it's the maps that are unfinished (having Knockhoffs map preview in mind that stopped at some point for example).

So generally, looking at the situation, I would have expected the dev team to be a lot more open for support or at least communicate more with the community in order to inspire people to help working on the mod.

Of course you have your high standards for your work, but getting new people into it would be a start, even when they have to learn or can only contribute very little. It might only be a few candidates out there, but who knows if there are people interested in supporting and possibly skilled to do it when nobody asks for it?

I don't want to aggressively criticize here, it's just something that would make sense to me. You say the situation is less desperate now and I obviously have no clue what is actually going on, but to me it always seemed a bit like you either don't want or don't need any kind of help for a long time and it might seem similar to potentially skilled and interested people.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 30-09-2013, 14:09:08 »
All you guys do is being worried, yet no one eager to help. All of you can apply for a beta tester or even become a dev if you only have skills in BF2 engine codding, moddeling or mapping and have will to help this mod.

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: 30-09-2013, 14:09:39 »
It´s going on. What shall we do, if we haven´t any Renders to show?

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 30-09-2013, 14:09:26 »
I have mixed feelings about this. I am not totaly satisfied how the devs are communicating certain things with the community and that's a point where I see room for improvements.

But on the other hand I have to second Jan about this point. We even wrote in this very threat what is needed the most. So if you have any of those mentioned skills like mapping, modelling or coding (everything else is welcome too) and that stuff you are free to apply. Nothing is holding you back.

That's atleast how I did it. I got beta tester like one year ago and I recently started helping out where I could. Nobody asked me for it.

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 30-09-2013, 15:09:04 »
It's kinda hard to share what you're working on when it's about;
a) maps you don't want the public to know about yet
b) vehicles you don't want the public to know about yet
c) vehicle coding which isn't interesting
d) python coding which isn't very interesting
e) other stuff that basically comes down to a-d :p

But anyways, it's nice to know that things are moving again :).

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: 30-09-2013, 15:09:59 »
It's kinda hard to share what you're working on when it's about;
a) maps you don't want the public to know about yet
b) vehicles you don't want the public to know about yet
e) other stuff that basically comes down to a-d :p

But anyways, it's nice to know that things are moving again :).
Soviet player models then!  :D

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: 30-09-2013, 15:09:14 »
What I strongly suggest to all impatient guys here with some free time twice a week, ability to keep "secrets" and love to FH2 is applying for a beta tester position. It gives you some knowlegde about FH2 progress and possibly will encourage you to start work on this mod taking good direction from the beggining of your work. It might be hard to apply to be a dev "blindly". We need beta testers to properly test new maps and there is a lot to test, believe me ;)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: 30-09-2013, 15:09:09 »
Afterdune, once more: when you have any of the skills allready mentioned in this threat or skills regarding to the points in your post, you are free to apply for helping the devs. What difference does it make to know wich map needs to be worked on? Or which vehicle or what ever?

Really, apply and then you will see wich task you can pick up.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 30-09-2013, 15:09:47 »
I have to disagree, vehicle and python coding is interesting. I mean, aside from the moments when it takes days to get something to work properly or when your PC crashes and you lose all your work. It can be a legitimate art form though!

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 30-09-2013, 16:09:44 »
Afterdune, once more: when you have any of the skills allready mentioned in this threat or skills regarding to the points in your post, you are free to apply for helping the devs. What difference does it make to know wich map needs to be worked on? Or which vehicle or what ever?

Really, apply and then you will see wich task you can pick up.
Huh? Have you even read what I posted? I'm not asking for anything, I'm stating that in many cases it's not very interesting from a developer's perspective to post updates about what they're doing. Trust me, I know all about it.

If I had more time, I would certainly apply, but my time is very limited and is already spent on developing PR and such.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 30-09-2013, 17:09:39 »
My point does not aim towards sharing content.

I just wanted to state that I would have thought that there is a different behaviour when there is a lack of devs. I know you are free to apply. I just wanted to point out that it's maybe a very defensive way to deal with a lack of developers when you just wait for people to apply. When there are some official announcements/threads that bring up this topic to the community, more people might actually feel like joining the team or start investing their free time in how to mod BF2/FH2.

I don't intend to be offensive in any way with this. I just realized I could only guess that the situation in the developement is not looking good until comments were left about it in this topic. When there was the "Call to Arms" regarding the ArmyRage stealing content from FH2 a lot of people did what they could to help with that, even when it was little. When there is need for developers a similar topic might also mobilize people that know how to mod or that want to learn it.

So my point is about advertising the situation. People are more likely to support when you ask for it. I can not judge in what extend this is needed currently and how stable the plan is, but I just want to spotlight that doing so in certain situations is not a bad idea. People that might actually have the skills can feel redundant or not sign up for whatever reason until they are aware of what is needed.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: 30-09-2013, 17:09:03 »
"Communication Breakdown, It's always the same,
I'm having a nervous breakdown, Drive me insane! "

Led Zeppelin - Communication Breakdown

I think the time for secrets has ran its course.

Its always the same responses. "Cant discuss this, not enough that". Any questions turns into a shit throwing contest.

Fh2 needs to be more open to the community about what is going on to incite skilled public players to become as Jan puts it..." eager to help"

The last communication with the community was a news update (6-12-13) about the Polikarpov Po-2. Almost 4 months.

Most of us are just fans of the mod. Most are not interested in working on it.

The Dev diaries were awesome. That is an example of what i'm talking about.
 Jan rubbing a hand full of bullshit in the face of the community is NOT what i'm talking about.

If i'm a fan of a car, do i have to build the damn thing before i can drive it?

Da da dada da doo doo
They don't know
Nobody knows
They don't know
Just don't know
Da da da

Jimi Hendrix - "Who Knows"