Author Topic: FH2 Player's Guide  (Read 8516 times)

Offline TimeMachineAssassin

• View Profile
Re: FH2 Player's Guide
« Reply #30 on: 21-11-2012, 04:11:44 »
Another one:

Ive had good success lately with back peddling and covering our 6, when moving in a squad in ambush heavy situations. I never see anyone do it, you know? But, ap-mines are a problem when back peddling, ran into a few that way, friendly and enemy.

Im sure you could translate this into the better terminology.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21-11-2012, 13:11:35 »
Thanks to all those who submitted. I am continuing to take notes in preparation for a rough draft. In the meantime, are there any players reading this who are experienced in being a commander? I have never done that myself and would appreciate if anyone would like to contribute regarding how to be an effective commander.

My advice is don't bother being a commander. it has been nerfed in the latest patches to the point that the position is really a place-holder for when you want to go take a dump or make a sandwich and not disconnect from the server. (that and 762 kicks any fighting commanders)

it used to be the most important role in Fh2 during the Africa and italy patches but got totally fucked over by changes in the Dev team which removed focus from the position, eventually leading to the anaemic role that it now fills.

On many of the maps, the artillery no longer even kills people or worse yet, it only fires stupid smoke as cover.

In the old days, it was not uncommon to see the commander in the top 5 players on either side, as it was relied upon heavily not only through artillery kills but also for dropping effective ammunition and repair support.

Siege of Tobruk, Gazala, Sidi Rezegh, or Alam Halfa used to be epic examples of the good, old days of true commanders and for the esteem they commanded (sic).
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21-11-2012, 15:11:36 »
How many pages are there so far?

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23-11-2012, 13:11:34 »
Heh, not really at the pages stage yet. Just taking notes on everything I think will be useful.

So far I've got the rough idea laid out:

The first section is how to un-noob yourself, shit you absolutely need to know like what different HUD markers mean, how to use your 3D map, what commands you can use and what they do (!admins, !r, and so on), etc. The second section is for infantry weapons and tactics, how to use iron sights, binoculars, rifle grenades, etc. Additionally covering infantry tactics, such as covering fire, flanking, all that jazz. Third section is vehicles, planes and armor and whatnot. How to use your optics correctly, how to maximize your effectiveness with different vehicles, etc. Fourth section is for static/mobile weapons, such as mortars, artillery, anti-tank guns, AA guns, etc. Fifth section is general information, online etiquette, loading music list, known bugs and glitches, any little tips and tricks and whatnot that don't fall into earlier categories. Sixth section is a glossary, covering terms you will hear often in the average game online and what they mean, "mine marker" and "uncap" and "ABC" and all the rest of it.

This is still early days, it's not like I'll have this all ready in a week or two. Still have to learn how to make a .pdf first of all :D. But I'm working on it more and more every day, making my own notes and going over older threads on this forum.

Here are some parts I could use help with if anyone is interested, and it is much, much more useful if you just take a couple days on your own to compile some tips and things to keep in mind regarding any certain subject and then PM me what you wrote, rather than just posting a random tip in this thread. If nothing else, you'll at least get a mention in the credits.

Looking for any contributions regarding:

• Planes (dogfights, ground attack, etc.)
  • Commander use (I have zero experience with that)

Additionally, if any of the older members here feel qualified and would like to write a section on the history of the mod, you are free to do so and submit it to me. But please remember, and this not being mean, this is being precise: I am not going to write such a thing myself, and I will not use anything that is poorly-written or biased in any way. If you feel like you can do a good job writing about how the mod came to exist (from FH1 to now, or just FH2 if you like), you are more than welcome to do so, provided it's nicely written and is at least 3-4 paragraphs - I would rather it be too thorough than too short.

Last thing for now, anyone reading this thread is as always more than welcome to include suggestions of what they'd like to see in a guide like this. As I've said earlier in this thread, this isn't for troubleshooting technical problems or any shit like that, my aim in making this is really nothing more than to create the kind of guide I wish I could have read before I began playing. In a sentence, it's to try and teach all of us, and I need teaching more than most of us, how to matter to our team, to become one of those players other people are pleased to have in their squad.
« Last Edit: 23-11-2012, 13:11:23 by Andrew »
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline »KeFeng

• Fluffy 762-Main Tank. Sleeps with his MG42.
    • View Profile
    • »KeFeng Gaming @ YouTube
« Reply #34 on: 23-11-2012, 17:11:44 »
My advice is don't bother being a commander. it has been nerfed in the latest patches to the point that the position is really a place-holder for when you want to go take a dump or make a sandwich and not disconnect from the server.
I'm with you, Sheik. Being Commander isn't that effective. 80 % of the Squadleaders are ignoring your Orders, you just got Arty and Supply Drops. Would be nice if the Devs could add some Assets to the Commander. Like a pure Smoke Arty (like in PoE2) or deployable MG-Nest's, or Mortars, Defensive Positions (Sandbag's), Crates with Pick up Kits like a Lafette/Tripod or something.
Pround Part of Squad Wurstkeks, grimly Dive Bomber and coin operated MG Gunner

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23-11-2012, 19:11:10 »
All well and good, but I can hardly put "Don't bother they nerfed it" in the Commander section, can I? :P

Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23-11-2012, 19:11:56 »
Could just plagiarize from a vBF2 manual about being Commander, change a few things around.

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24-11-2012, 20:11:20 »
This is starting to get going a bit, on the off chance anyone gives a shit. I haven't had to write anything that needed to look reasonably-professional for a while but I'm dusting off all the old, lazy parts of my brain ;D.

As ever, always welcoming any suggestions. If you had never played FH2 before and downloaded it one day, and a little .pdf came with it, bragging about being a valuable guide, what would YOU want to read in it? What would you expect from it?

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24-11-2012, 21:11:00 »
As ever, always welcoming any suggestions. If you had never played FH2 before and downloaded it one day, and a little .pdf came with it, bragging about being a valuable guide, what would YOU want to read in it? What would you expect from it?

A plain language, which anyone with a bit of English knowledge could understand. Nothing that someone who cant speak English cant understand.
And ofcourse, basics of everything. Maybe some tips and tricks, but no more  :)

I would love to contribute, but not that good with Englis grammar and shit like that.  :P

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24-11-2012, 22:11:37 »

A plain language, which anyone with a bit of English knowledge could understand. Nothing that someone who cant speak English cant understand.

I would love to contribute, but not that good with Englis grammar and shit like that.  :P

I can understand your posts on here just fine, if you would like to contribute you can take a few days to write about a subject and send me a message with your work, I will polish it up a bit and correct any grammar mistakes and other than that it will be all your work.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24-11-2012, 22:11:16 »

I can understand your posts on here just fine, if you would like to contribute you can take a few days to write about a subject and send me a message with your work, I will polish it up a bit and correct any grammar mistakes and other than that it will be all your work.

Might give it a try sometime  ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25-11-2012, 21:11:23 »
Okay, a little update, this is quickly becoming a massive project ;D. Every time I play FH2 I think of something else I want to include. Right now though I was thinking about including a small section on how to say really basic things in foreign languages. For instance, if you only speak English, how to say "Where is the Tiger?" in German, French, etc. I am also working on a reference chart to teach you the effects your ping has on your aiming, so you can minimize the time it takes to get a hang of things, and hopefully encourage more of you lazy Euros to join American servers from time to time without being discouraged by bad ping. Just two of the parts I'm working on right now.

As usual, anyone with ideas or suggestions or anything to contribute, don't be shy.
« Last Edit: 25-11-2012, 22:11:23 by Andrew »

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25-11-2012, 22:11:44 »
Add the most common languages you encounter in FH2; Finnish, German, Italian, English, etc... The FH2 community is basically these languages. Or either have some peole translate the whole booklet when its finished! I could do Turkish translations, but nah, We've got only about 11-13 Turkish people playing FH2 so its not worth it.

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27-11-2012, 17:11:42 »
I was thinking about tranlations but I don't want to get ahead of myself :D.

As a little update here is a rough outline of the current Table of Contents:

Chapter 1: Introduction
Pretty self-explanatory.
Chapter 2: Basics
All the things you need to know.
Chapter 3: Infantry
All about squad play, teamwork, weapons, etc.
Chapter 4: Armor
Tanks, tank destroyers, half-tracks, tips and tricks regarding that shit.
Chapter 5: Planes
Dogfighting, bombing, ground-attack, etc.
Chapter 6: Artillery/Static Weaponry
Again, pretty self-explanatory.
Chapter 7: Glossary
A useful (hopefully) list of all terms you hear regarding FH2 and what they mean.

Obviously, I'm making it all a lot more humorous and informative than that makes it sounds. Right now I am working on making various charts and graphics I want to include.

This will be available as a .pdf, and, assuming I live long enough to ever buy another microphone, possibly as an audiobook for all you closet gays who would rather hear me talk then look at what I wrote ;D.
« Last Edit: 27-11-2012, 17:11:37 by Andrew »

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 27-11-2012, 17:11:59 »
Where is Trucks & Transport?